We’re rolling out a batch of changes at Pandora tonight and this time it’s a big upgrade.
Since we launched Pandora two years ago we’ve been laser focused on delivering the best possible listening experience. Our frame has always been that listening is the center of the entire musical experience and that community, commerce, and sharing all flow from listening. Tonight we’ve launched a new release that brings these other elements to the foreground and ties them into the listening experience.
The new system is called Pandora Extras and it lets us place dynamic content and functionality alongside the music player. Tonight we’re shipping four of these Extras:

• Now Playing: tells you all about the song, album, and artist you’re hearing, recommends other similar songs and bands, and points you to other Pandora listeners that are fans.
  • Friends: helps you keep tabs on all your friends that use Pandora so you can learn from their music discoveries. Find all your friends with a few clicks by importing your web mail address book.
  • Genre Stations: lets you explore unfamiliar parts of the music universe by sampling over 100 genre stations.
  • Pandora Presents…: features our new series of Pandora-produced podcasts and videos.

What’s most exciting about this though is it’s an entirely new palette for us to paint on; this is the beginning of a larger vision for Pandora. We’ve got all kinds of ideas for future “Extras” to add to the system and what we’re rolling out tonight gives us a flexible design that will allow us to add literally dozens of new options to compliment listening. It’s a whole new world for us.
There are a few other little things tucked into this release for you to enjoy as well. For example, you can now comment on album, artist, and song pages. Have fun exploring and as always we’d love to hear what you think by leaving us a comment here or by dropping us a note at pandora-support@pandora.com.

Comments

1. WILLIAM COOK
    November 09, 2007 at 3:43pm
    WHY DO BIO ON SOME BANDS.I DON'T LIKE THE FRIENDS ETC.THIS IS GONNA BE CRAP SPACE(MYSPACE)BEFORE LONG.I BEEN ON SINCE THE DAY YOU CAME ON.JUST PLAY THE MUSIC NOT THE OTHER STUFF.ALL THE OTHERS JANGO,SLACKER,LAST FM,FINE TUNE HAVE THAT.THERE SHOULD FULL ALBUMS.KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK.
  2. Dorina Frasheri
    November 09, 2007 at 6:15pm
    Thank you Pandora for finally putting classical music stations after such a long time. What a long wait, but I am sure it will be worth it. Just made my day great. Congrats!!!
  3. Jay
    November 09, 2007 at 9:46pm
    Two words: A. Mazing. Thanks, again. And again. j p.s. Cough!T-shirt!Cough!
  4. Joanna Silva
    November 10, 2007 at 12:07am
    Listening to my 'quick mix' is so great, makes me feel like Pandora Loves Me! And I love Pandora too. Can people listen to my quickmix, or only to one of my individual stations? Because the mix is so much better, I want to share it with everyone. Thanks so much and the new extras, especially the now playing, are excellent. Cheers,
  5. Dixon
    November 10, 2007 at 6:55am
    When can I buy stock in your company on the NYSE or NASDAQ? This is great! Let us buy in.
  6. SilverSpoon
    November 10, 2007 at 8:30am
    Just discovered Pandora- Incredible concept and implementation! Further suggestions: Allow me to click any song listed anywhere on the page for any reason to add as a seed. Allow me to "preview" and song listed anywhere on the page for any reason. Search for Albums and add entire album or any of the album songs as seeds. Allow station "filters" by various attributes (genre and sub-genre, vocal/instrumental, mood classification, etc). Add additional genres and (important!) sub-genres within the broader classifications. Keep up the great work!
  7. Porter
    November 10, 2007 at 4:27pm
    'Now Playing' rocks!! Just add the artist's tour schedule in there, so we can find out if they're playing near us soon. I can't even imagine what else you guys have in mind -- this is great, the new stuff integrates perfectly.
  8. oldkoot
    November 11, 2007 at 10:01am
    I am just in heaven to be able to listen to such a variety of music, I am not a complicated person, not a pc buff, I like things simple and that's why your my number 1 bookmark. Yes sometimes I can't find a song or artist in the search but not to often. Being a free music station without commercials and listeneing to what I want to listen to has put music back into my everday life. I am home alone alot and when I'm reading a book or just searching the internet I enjoy turning you on. Now I have to get better speakers! A BIG THANKS
  9. fred
    November 11, 2007 at 10:59pm
    Since the update rolled out I love it because it reminds me of the music i used to listen to in the late 70's which i call the oldies for my generation. Plus I love country music coming out today.
  10. Miguel
    November 12, 2007 at 6:36am
    I was happy surprised this morning to see all the changes. So far, they rock! Keep these great changes comin'!

Reply to Mister Basmt Cancel Reply