We’re rolling out a batch of changes at Pandora tonight and this time it’s a big upgrade.
Since we launched Pandora two years ago we’ve been laser focused on delivering the best possible listening experience. Our frame has always been that listening is the center of the entire musical experience and that community, commerce, and sharing all flow from listening. Tonight we’ve launched a new release that brings these other elements to the foreground and ties them into the listening experience.
The new system is called Pandora Extras and it lets us place dynamic content and functionality alongside the music player. Tonight we’re shipping four of these Extras:

• Now Playing: tells you all about the song, album, and artist you’re hearing, recommends other similar songs and bands, and points you to other Pandora listeners that are fans.
  • Friends: helps you keep tabs on all your friends that use Pandora so you can learn from their music discoveries. Find all your friends with a few clicks by importing your web mail address book.
  • Genre Stations: lets you explore unfamiliar parts of the music universe by sampling over 100 genre stations.
  • Pandora Presents…: features our new series of Pandora-produced podcasts and videos.

What’s most exciting about this though is it’s an entirely new palette for us to paint on; this is the beginning of a larger vision for Pandora. We’ve got all kinds of ideas for future “Extras” to add to the system and what we’re rolling out tonight gives us a flexible design that will allow us to add literally dozens of new options to compliment listening. It’s a whole new world for us.
There are a few other little things tucked into this release for you to enjoy as well. For example, you can now comment on album, artist, and song pages. Have fun exploring and as always we’d love to hear what you think by leaving us a comment here or by dropping us a note at pandora-support@pandora.com.

Comments

1. Nuri
    November 07, 2007 at 3:36pm
    Once again, you guys prove you're at the top of your game... really enjoy the extras. Thank you. Pandora provides the soundtrack to my life, much like Peter Griffin's theme song. ~Nuri
  2. Barbara
    November 08, 2007 at 12:40pm
    Why can't I hear the real music I request, instead of "has the musical qualities of????"
  3. MERCY
    November 08, 2007 at 4:53pm
    just found pandora today, I was looking for African music to download and it said rumba anytime well this is my favourite type Of african music,but it did not reconize any of it but then I then I typed UB40 my favourite fafourite artist you can guess what happened and i've been listening since then that was 10 hours ago and am loving it. thank you so much keep up the good work. would you by any chance play some african music (brenda fasi or some kenyan rhumba?) please
  4. Kin
    November 08, 2007 at 5:54pm
    I hope you offer more options for tweaking ratings of song. I imagine Up, non, or Down, offers a simpler and perhaps more feasible way of showing us more songs. But even if you don't add a "sorta like" button it'd be great to have the ability to bump down songs that are no longer liked to mere "listen/no down or up" --Also please consider sometimes you make such perfect stations, such as when I entered A Silver Mt.Zion that listeners can listen without adding anymore songs up not meaning they havn't loved the songs. Education on the effects of up or no up is a little lacking Feel free to email me please, thanks -Kin
  5. Andrew
    November 08, 2007 at 7:01pm
    Brilliant. Simply brilliant. Thank you
  6. Andreas
    November 09, 2007 at 1:58am
    Please make the Extras window larger, so that more of the artist/album/track infos is readable directly here or add a scrollbar! I dont want to klick on the "more"-link too much... :-(
  7. Mister Basmt
    November 09, 2007 at 8:11am
    I like the new comment on an artist/album/song feature though I still wish we could make a station based on an entire album and search albums. Even though it has a few things here and there I would tweak, Pandora is all I listen to at work. It is extremely awesome and I would like to thank my co-worker for introducing me to it last December.
  8. Mister Basmt
    November 09, 2007 at 8:35am
    A few more things you might want to think about are giving examples or descriptions for the genre stations. Also I didn't see genre stations for instrumental rock, soundtrack/show music, and scat. I'd love these stations and I don't think I'm the only one.
  9. Steve
    November 09, 2007 at 11:10am
    Love the enhancements, and here is another enhancement I'd like to see: one of those bars showing how much of the song has elapsed, along with an indicator showing how long a particular song is, and how much of the song has played. Come on...you can do it! Thanks.
  10. Berniegs
    November 09, 2007 at 3:01pm
    Steve, the elapsed time is shown at the bottom of the currently playing song, immediately below the album art.

Reply to Sarah Cancel Reply