We’re rolling out a batch of changes at Pandora tonight and this time it’s a big upgrade.
Since we launched Pandora two years ago we’ve been laser focused on delivering the best possible listening experience. Our frame has always been that listening is the center of the entire musical experience and that community, commerce, and sharing all flow from listening. Tonight we’ve launched a new release that brings these other elements to the foreground and ties them into the listening experience.
The new system is called Pandora Extras and it lets us place dynamic content and functionality alongside the music player. Tonight we’re shipping four of these Extras:

• Now Playing: tells you all about the song, album, and artist you’re hearing, recommends other similar songs and bands, and points you to other Pandora listeners that are fans.
  • Friends: helps you keep tabs on all your friends that use Pandora so you can learn from their music discoveries. Find all your friends with a few clicks by importing your web mail address book.
  • Genre Stations: lets you explore unfamiliar parts of the music universe by sampling over 100 genre stations.
  • Pandora Presents…: features our new series of Pandora-produced podcasts and videos.

What’s most exciting about this though is it’s an entirely new palette for us to paint on; this is the beginning of a larger vision for Pandora. We’ve got all kinds of ideas for future “Extras” to add to the system and what we’re rolling out tonight gives us a flexible design that will allow us to add literally dozens of new options to compliment listening. It’s a whole new world for us.
There are a few other little things tucked into this release for you to enjoy as well. For example, you can now comment on album, artist, and song pages. Have fun exploring and as always we’d love to hear what you think by leaving us a comment here or by dropping us a note at pandora-support@pandora.com.

Comments

1. Jackie
    November 06, 2007 at 4:21pm
    Oh my goodness, I am lost here. What happened to all my music stations and the songs that were in them. I can't say I love it or don't play it again huh? I could listen to Danny O'Donnell all night though.....
  2. Roland
    November 06, 2007 at 4:37pm
    Love the new toys folks on the Pandora face. These upgrades are like getting something cool for xmas
  3. S. Fox
    November 06, 2007 at 7:03pm
    I've been adding friends most of the day, and sending station recommendations to many people I found that are using Pandora without me knowing it. Thanks for letting us share the work we've been putting in thumbing all these tunes. I did have a script error a few times (on my Mac) when importing my Gmail address book, but I kept retrying because I wanted it to work. I'm looking forward to you continued upgrades.
  4. not someone else
    November 06, 2007 at 7:56pm
    This is wonderful. I've been looking for a way to try, say, a trance station for ages, but I don't know enough about the genre to get a start in. Now I can just click the little button- and I like it already. Thanks!
  5. Beverly
    November 06, 2007 at 8:48pm
    I'm enjoying Pandora very much, but am amazed Fela Kuti, the great Nigerian musician from the '70's, isn't retrievable in the Genome Project. Travesty! You really need to look into offering a World Beat genre! Thank you, Beverly
  6. Deitryn
    November 06, 2007 at 9:07pm
    This is a very nice player! =) The website works seamlessly and flows very nice. Very usable indeed! Thank you for all your hard work..
  7. Andreas
    November 07, 2007 at 1:43am
    Very nice enhancements, i like a lot!!! I would like to see two more things, that are very annoying to me: 1. When listening to a radio there is often a very suitable track or artist playing that i would add as additional seed immediately. Could you add such an "Seed Artist" / "Seed track" option, so that i can add this while listening? 2. I want more than 100 radio stations. Why is it not possible to have no limitation here, so i could add as many radios as i want? Keep up the good work...!
  8. Kevin Archibald
    November 07, 2007 at 2:13am
    The genre stations and friends options are great new additions. Those features will help you compete with sites like Slacker. However, as you grow, please try to keep the UI as simple as possible. For instance, the few new features could have easily been added to the top drop down menus, especially if you replace the fat Help button with another dropdown. Keeping the UI simple will make it easier to translate the experience to diverse mobile environments without having to reorganize the UI or cut features.
  9. JMorris
    November 07, 2007 at 6:03am
    Awesome! Thanks for these much needed additions! I love what you guys are doing with the service. Keep up the great work!
  10. gregg
    November 07, 2007 at 8:03am
    I've been with you since the beginning. A couple of things I�d like would be to record from my PC as it streams, so I could put the music on my MP3 player. I�d also like to have the lyrics as an option with the new options. I do like what you�ve done. I tell everyone I encounter weather it be online or not about the site and how it �Rocks�. That is if you like that format.  I listen on average 8 hrs. daily. My only negative is that you don�t have seem to have a current music catalog to enjoy; it�s mostly 90�s to 2003.

Reply to ronnie Cancel Reply