We’re rolling out a batch of changes at Pandora tonight and this time it’s a big upgrade.
Since we launched Pandora two years ago we’ve been laser focused on delivering the best possible listening experience. Our frame has always been that listening is the center of the entire musical experience and that community, commerce, and sharing all flow from listening. Tonight we’ve launched a new release that brings these other elements to the foreground and ties them into the listening experience.
The new system is called Pandora Extras and it lets us place dynamic content and functionality alongside the music player. Tonight we’re shipping four of these Extras:

• Now Playing: tells you all about the song, album, and artist you’re hearing, recommends other similar songs and bands, and points you to other Pandora listeners that are fans.
  • Friends: helps you keep tabs on all your friends that use Pandora so you can learn from their music discoveries. Find all your friends with a few clicks by importing your web mail address book.
  • Genre Stations: lets you explore unfamiliar parts of the music universe by sampling over 100 genre stations.
  • Pandora Presents…: features our new series of Pandora-produced podcasts and videos.

What’s most exciting about this though is it’s an entirely new palette for us to paint on; this is the beginning of a larger vision for Pandora. We’ve got all kinds of ideas for future “Extras” to add to the system and what we’re rolling out tonight gives us a flexible design that will allow us to add literally dozens of new options to compliment listening. It’s a whole new world for us.
There are a few other little things tucked into this release for you to enjoy as well. For example, you can now comment on album, artist, and song pages. Have fun exploring and as always we’d love to hear what you think by leaving us a comment here or by dropping us a note at pandora-support@pandora.com.

Comments

1. Jody Gnant
    November 06, 2007 at 2:49am
    So a bajillion people in my chat room have said that they've looked for me on Pandora only to no avail... There's nowhere listed on the site to submit a listing, and so now I say to myself, "how does one get in the listings of the most complete listing of music ever?" Email or call please: 602-573-7788 www.jodygnant.tv HUGS! :D Jody Gnant
  2. kate
    November 06, 2007 at 2:56am
    so why do you not *allow* guatamalians to contribute to your website?? americans...very arrogant sometimes.
  3. Joshua Seigler
    November 06, 2007 at 7:31am
    Pandora Extras is really compelling! I can't stop messing with it. Having this integrated tool to explore the artist, album, and song info is great, but adding in all the other parts (friends!) makes it sing. This should be good for your advertisers too, since free users will be spending more time looking at the main page. Way to go guys!
  4. Eman
    November 06, 2007 at 8:40am
    Loving the changes so far, especially the genre stations. My only complaint? Not enough genres!! :)
  5. Tim Mooney
    November 06, 2007 at 11:31am
    Pretty slick. One thing, though, I had some trouble importing some of my friends from my Yahoo address book. It found a couple of e-mails I'd didn't even recognize as already being on Pandora and then another forty of so e-mail addresses I'd never seen before. I know my wife is on here and in my address book, so something wonky is going on. Maybe your thing isn't finding people who are sorted into categories in my address book? Maybe I got someone else's results, I'm not sure but it didn't work for me. But some neat looking stuff, keep it up!
  6. Risottogirl
    November 06, 2007 at 12:53pm
    I am SO disappointed that I cannot listen to Pandora on my Sprint Treo. What's up with that? Why is the Treo not supported? THAT I'd gladly pay a monthly fee for, since I can listen only rarely on my laptop.
  7. Brian H.
    November 06, 2007 at 1:36pm
    That is pretty cool, i just got on my acc and noticed that. =D
  8. bea
    November 06, 2007 at 1:50pm
    hey so i have an awesome idea for pandora. i think users would love it if they could see info about when their selected artists are touring in their area. for example, you'd type your zip code and a pop up would come up with bands that are similar playing that weekend, month, etc.in your city. it would be amazing to see shows of bands they listen to on their radio stations or that sound like the artists they choose.
  9. Jason Hutcheson
    November 06, 2007 at 2:08pm
    I am enjoying the new system. It looks quite a bit smoother and it has functionality. There is one question in the back of my mind, are all these future updates going to come back to haunt us in the way of paid membership someday? Still enjoying.
  10. Susie
    November 06, 2007 at 3:36pm
    The only problem is that when it is time to go home I don't want to because I'm enjoying the music so much Thanks a lot!!!

Reply to Berniegs Cancel Reply