Tim Westergren, CEO of Internet music upstart Pandora, tells CNBC’s Julia Boorstin how his company is reinventing radio.
September 29, 2010

View Video

Comments

1. George Palmer
    October 01, 2010 at 12:46pm
    Mr. Westergren, I don't know who wrote the profile I read on pandora about Lee Ritenour but whom ever it was needs to be fired. To say Ritenour is imitating Wes Montgomery would be like saying NBC is imitating FOX network. Would you like that comparison? I think not. This makes me question pandora. Lee Ritenour is a bonafide talent in his own right. George Palmer
  2. William Littlehales
    October 01, 2010 at 1:47pm
    As a Pandora One subscriber and daily user, I speak frequently with my colleagues around the globe, often mentioning the unique abilities of Pandora Radio. The question I am most often asked is: When will it be available outside the US? My company, me2everyone PLC, is HQ'd in the UK and our social network is planning for a 3D roll-out by year-end 2010. With a current roster of just over 580,000 individual and business members in 170 countries representing 38 languages, we are still a "start-up" but hope to compete with the big boys in the future. Including Pandora Radio in our line-up would certainly be a value-added feature for our members to enjoy while moving about their 3D apartments, shopping malls and villages, but the restriction of Pandora being only US-based is a severe limiting factor. When might we expect Pandora Radio to become a truly global offering?
  3. Randy
    October 01, 2010 at 5:51pm
    Just joined Pandora so far so good. Thanks guys!
  4. geneo
    October 02, 2010 at 10:48pm
    On beheist of my friends and daughters i tried your site. It's good and I like the selection of music. HOWEVER my number one problem is, I ran cable from my computer accross the house to the living room stereo cranked the tunes went out to work on my friends truck and my boat. But had to keep running buck in to restart becouse IT KEEPS GOING TO SLEEP!!!!!!!! Is there a way to cancel the sleep mode? it got real tired to climb out of the boat then back so I switch over to alltime radio it doesn't go to sleep. And the whole naborhood including the teenagers (SHOCK) was getting into the 50's rock and roll. Even the kids with the thump thump car stereos turn em down. I'm open for suggestions
  5. Ellen
    October 03, 2010 at 4:25pm
    You guys at Pandora are the best! And, keep playing Paul Heaton on Pandora -- he is fabulous! Thanks!
  6. Diana Shaw
    October 04, 2010 at 8:37am
    the missing lyrics for Alan Aackson's song are locking"hubs"
  7. Tony
    October 04, 2010 at 11:47am
    Interesting piece. Glad to hear that ad revenues are going well for you. Hopefully you won't have to raise the subscription rate. Although you're focused on distribution I'd still love to have Pandora move into a space where it's my one stop music destination. I already make sure I get onto Amazon from Pandora when I end up purchasing a CD because of finding an artist or song on Pandora. I'd love to have Pandora notify me when an artist playing on one of my stations is going to be playing live in my area, when they have a new release out, when they'll be appearing on a TV show or when they have an interview in a magazine or online publication. Right now I have to be tickled by Pandora and then take steps to bring up other information. As a result I don't do that very often. As an alternative, I hope you're looking at some sort of partnership with another company that could monitor my listening (with my permission of course) and then feed me the information I'm interested in based on my listening. I would even consider getting a daily or weekly digest based on my listening. The monitoring would have to be robust enough to differentiate between my giving a song a thumbs down directly and my moving it to a different station (meaning I like it but not on that station.)
  8. Carlos E
    October 13, 2010 at 4:19am
    AAHHHHHH.... no IPO!! Pandora has revolutionized my music life and shown me so many great artists. I'm afraid it would change or be altered once it goes public. Tim is the man and his vision for Pandora has created one of the best products available when it comes to enjoying music.
  9. Linda H
    October 16, 2010 at 10:14am
    I think you are just great! I listen to Pandora at work and it has been so enjoyable! So unique and taylored to my own tastes! Thank you!!
  10. Ken
    October 17, 2010 at 8:14pm
    I'm a new user. I have not purchased the upgraded version yet. When I first got Pandora I was able to post songs or stations I was listening to to my FB wall. When I did I was able to see them on my FaceBook wall. Then after posted a number of them I tried posting a number of songs and would not show up on my FB wall as it did at first. Have no idea why??

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )