Tomorrow morning as the first iPads are delivered, we’ll be launching an entirely new Pandora application built from the ground up for the iPad.

Pandora on iPad has been completely re-imagined for the iPad’s big touch interface. I think of it as the ultimate lean-in Pandora experience. Just tap the Pandora icon and let the music play while you read about the bands and music you discover. Pass it back and forth with a friend and share your discoveries. My hope is that it can play the same role that the album cover did when I was a kid — something concrete to enjoy and share as the music plays. There’s something magical about that, and this really is a magical device.

For me, this is the culmination of an almost 20 year wait. Some kids go to college so they can become a doctor. Some go with the dream of success in business. Some go in pursuit of knowledge. Some go just to have a good time.

I went so I could work at Apple.

That’s not a joke, or an exaggeration. I literally went with that singular goal and by some stroke of incredible luck, I managed to land a job there upon my graduation 18 years ago. Working at Apple was an amazing experience; the company is full of incredible people driven by a desire to change the world. During my four years there I saw all sorts of incredible products: some commonplace (the PowerBook), some infamous (the Newton) and some that never saw the light of day. Chief among those that were never released were all manner of “tablet” Macintoshes. Powered by pens and touch, these fabled devices where designed to set the Mac free from the confines of the keyboard. In the end though, it wasn’t meant to be. We could never settle on the right combination of hardware, software, and economics that would make the machines practical and popular.

None the less, there was something incredible about even those early experiments, and I’ve waited almost 20 years for some variety of tablet from Apple that would finally resolve all the issues and get the formula right. So it’s with great anticipation that I look forward to the launch of the iPad tomorrow.

I’ll be in line at an Apple Store with everyone else to pick mine up. If you decide to do the same, I hope you’ll give Pandora on iPad a listen and let us know what you think. We’d love the feedback.

Comments

1. Sharon anne Stripling
    May 17, 2010 at 2:04pm
    I don't want your service and you DO NOT have my permission to access or connect with any of my Facebook personal information. All of your directions (and Facebook's) for opting out are bogus - don't work and don't exist. Intentional I'm sure. Sharon Stripling Holland
  2. Scott Rose
    May 25, 2010 at 11:12pm
    Great job on this version 1.0 app for the iPad!! A few things that are sorely needed, please: 1. The ability to edit stations. 2. The ability to control volume on the screen, without having to fumble for the hardware volume controls. Keep up the great work! Thanks, Scott
  3. JWynn
    June 08, 2010 at 6:42pm
    I don't know what you guys are talking about, every new band based station I make plays a song from that band first. Plus the quick mix station seems to compile all my stations to a "best of" my separate stations. I have the free version.
  4. bvillegas
    June 11, 2010 at 12:15am
    i love this new application! algarve car hire algarve property management
  5. Jaymelyn
    June 11, 2010 at 11:33pm
    This is a great application... I can have the chance to control my volume on screen and also i can change the stations i wanted to listen...Thank you! rosetta stone foreign language learn to speak greek
  6. Megan :)
    June 19, 2010 at 3:44pm
    I clicked on "change my passward" on the sign in thing and it sai it would send me an e-mail butits been 3 mounths and I still have not got the e-mail.Could you resend it or something?? ~Megan
  7. october Van Selus
    June 21, 2010 at 8:38pm
    Since when can you only listen to forty hours of music a month? I thought this was a completely free radio station! of course everyone wants money... but isn't that why we have to sit through listening to those crappy adds? Disappointed!
  8. Connie S
    June 23, 2010 at 6:27pm
    I have been requesting to hear Kentucky Rain by Elvis Presley but have not had any luck. How do I get this song to play. Today I requested it as a station but it has not played yet. I have heard a lot of Beatles music but not the one song I want to hear.
  9. Anthony Wayne Walker
    June 24, 2010 at 8:06am
    Seen Tim on the Colbert Report. Jumped online at midnight and now not only am I a grateful old man but a fan and promoter. Neil Young radio? Really? Quit it. This is better than a grand kid mowing the grass for free. Thanks.
  10. Jay Dyck
    June 26, 2010 at 1:58pm
    Dear Pandora, I love the station. I subscribed to the free 24-hour upgrade. I had been thinking about upgrading, and I figured that for the extra $24/year, it should be a lot better. Well, it's already pretty good for $.99/month, and during my 24-hour free trial, it wasn't any better. I kept getting advertising, as usual. Nothing else was different, so I believe I will stay with the plan that I have. Thank you.