Tomorrow morning as the first iPads are delivered, we’ll be launching an entirely new Pandora application built from the ground up for the iPad.

Pandora on iPad has been completely re-imagined for the iPad’s big touch interface. I think of it as the ultimate lean-in Pandora experience. Just tap the Pandora icon and let the music play while you read about the bands and music you discover. Pass it back and forth with a friend and share your discoveries. My hope is that it can play the same role that the album cover did when I was a kid — something concrete to enjoy and share as the music plays. There’s something magical about that, and this really is a magical device.

For me, this is the culmination of an almost 20 year wait. Some kids go to college so they can become a doctor. Some go with the dream of success in business. Some go in pursuit of knowledge. Some go just to have a good time.

I went so I could work at Apple.

That’s not a joke, or an exaggeration. I literally went with that singular goal and by some stroke of incredible luck, I managed to land a job there upon my graduation 18 years ago. Working at Apple was an amazing experience; the company is full of incredible people driven by a desire to change the world. During my four years there I saw all sorts of incredible products: some commonplace (the PowerBook), some infamous (the Newton) and some that never saw the light of day. Chief among those that were never released were all manner of “tablet” Macintoshes. Powered by pens and touch, these fabled devices where designed to set the Mac free from the confines of the keyboard. In the end though, it wasn’t meant to be. We could never settle on the right combination of hardware, software, and economics that would make the machines practical and popular.

None the less, there was something incredible about even those early experiments, and I’ve waited almost 20 years for some variety of tablet from Apple that would finally resolve all the issues and get the formula right. So it’s with great anticipation that I look forward to the launch of the iPad tomorrow.

I’ll be in line at an Apple Store with everyone else to pick mine up. If you decide to do the same, I hope you’ll give Pandora on iPad a listen and let us know what you think. We’d love the feedback.

Comments

1. Terry Lyons
    April 18, 2010 at 7:23am
    This is great! However the one problem I see you cannot run Pandora in the background while performing another task on the iPad because you cannot multi-task with the iPad. So all Pandora on the iPad is a single radio app where you can't do anything else. I have an iPad ordered but I think I'll continue to listen to Pandora via my iPhone while I work on the iPad.
  2. Christina
    April 19, 2010 at 5:16pm
    well ia'm so glad everyone can hear pandora i can;t because it's not on T-mobile slide side kick so sad get with the times the slide blows away blackberry OMG!!!!!!!!!!
  3. Ray Seldomridge
    April 22, 2010 at 2:50pm
    Nice job on the iPad version, but two improvements would really help. #1 Give us a volume control, since the hardware control on the iPad itself is a pain to use when it's in the Apple case. #2 Widen the left column so our station names don't have to be so truncated.
  4. Theodore
    April 23, 2010 at 11:07pm
    The Website will not lead to the 99 cent page only the $36 ???
  5. Karin
    May 08, 2010 at 7:59am
    I am loving my Pandora, but how I have a Roku and the instructions to add Pandora don't do it. I had no problem getting netflix started, but that is all I can figure out. I cannot figure out how to get my access code, and I am getting extremely frustrated. Pandora is not an option for me on the opening Roku screen. I am also frustrated that the help menu is completely unhelpful. I am not able to access the channel store from the Roku. Is that the problem? If so, what the hell am I supposed to do!
  6. Jhoenna
    May 09, 2010 at 2:41am
    I still haven't purchased an iPad yet but reading the posts here makes me wanna borrow an iPad from a friend and try the experience. I look forward to knowing and reading more about Pandora the next time I visit here. pandora
  7. Ryan, Pandora Support
    May 10, 2010 at 1:06pm
    @Karin -- You will definitely need to connect to the channel store to access Pandora on your Roku. For help with this, please see Roku support: http://www.roku.com/support/faqs
  8. Jmaxxz
    May 15, 2010 at 11:40am
    I just found out that I can not "add variety" to my Pandora stations from the iPad. Was very disappointed to discover this, I wanted to and an artist to one of my stations however alas I could only create an entirely new station.
  9. Lisa
    May 15, 2010 at 9:36pm
    Pandora is fantastic! Simply brilliant!!
  10. minimalist
    May 16, 2010 at 8:02am
    The iPad version of Pandora is drop dead gorgeous and a joy to use. Cheers to Pandora for having it available so fast. Its a shame the desktop version of Pandora looks so ill formatted in comparison. Heck even the iPhone app with its tiny screen area looks and feels better. It would be great if Pandora could write Windows Mac and Linux specific versions of the desktop app. Drop the cross platform Adobe Air stuff. Its a jack of all trades a master of none. The web interface is also pain with tiny text and odd formatting. Something's not right when the experience of using Pandora of your home is so easily trumped by mobile devices.