Tomorrow morning as the first iPads are delivered, we’ll be launching an entirely new Pandora application built from the ground up for the iPad.

Pandora on iPad has been completely re-imagined for the iPad’s big touch interface. I think of it as the ultimate lean-in Pandora experience. Just tap the Pandora icon and let the music play while you read about the bands and music you discover. Pass it back and forth with a friend and share your discoveries. My hope is that it can play the same role that the album cover did when I was a kid — something concrete to enjoy and share as the music plays. There’s something magical about that, and this really is a magical device.

For me, this is the culmination of an almost 20 year wait. Some kids go to college so they can become a doctor. Some go with the dream of success in business. Some go in pursuit of knowledge. Some go just to have a good time.

I went so I could work at Apple.

That’s not a joke, or an exaggeration. I literally went with that singular goal and by some stroke of incredible luck, I managed to land a job there upon my graduation 18 years ago. Working at Apple was an amazing experience; the company is full of incredible people driven by a desire to change the world. During my four years there I saw all sorts of incredible products: some commonplace (the PowerBook), some infamous (the Newton) and some that never saw the light of day. Chief among those that were never released were all manner of “tablet” Macintoshes. Powered by pens and touch, these fabled devices where designed to set the Mac free from the confines of the keyboard. In the end though, it wasn’t meant to be. We could never settle on the right combination of hardware, software, and economics that would make the machines practical and popular.

None the less, there was something incredible about even those early experiments, and I’ve waited almost 20 years for some variety of tablet from Apple that would finally resolve all the issues and get the formula right. So it’s with great anticipation that I look forward to the launch of the iPad tomorrow.

I’ll be in line at an Apple Store with everyone else to pick mine up. If you decide to do the same, I hope you’ll give Pandora on iPad a listen and let us know what you think. We’d love the feedback.

Comments

1. Laurence
    April 07, 2010 at 9:11pm
    Well now it seems that Pandora has a lot more commercials than any other radio stations. Congratulations Pandora, you did it!
  2. Mitch
    April 08, 2010 at 6:45am
    What's the deal with not being able to log into Pandora lately. I paid the annual fee and am starting to get a little irritated I can't log-in..
  3. Alisha Doyle
    April 08, 2010 at 8:47pm
    I have been looking forward to getting my IPAD on April 2nd, I actually sold my PC laptop to purchase it. I have been dreaming off the day I could bring it home, dock it on my kitchen counter, download my favorite cookbooks and Pandora of course and simeltaneously rock out while cooking. Sadly April 2nd came and went and I have not purchased my IPAD, why you ask? I sadly found out you cannot run two apps at the same time, I would have to choose between a book or Pandora! Of course I can listen to my ITUNES in conjunction with reading a book, however my ITUNES library is about 80G. Pandora is so great because it does not take up precious hard drive space especially on the limited hard drive the IPAD has. So I will hold off for now and keep dreaming about the perfect IPAD for me.
  4. Frank
    April 09, 2010 at 1:40pm
    First, I love Pandora and all it does. The only problem I find, is that you have a Lyrics tab but very few song come with the lyrics. I think its misleading and should be upgrated more often.
  5. Eddie Bermudez
    April 09, 2010 at 6:39pm
    I just joined your service and I have to say it's wonderful!!! With iPhone os 4, it's gonna be just magical! Thanx for all your work and dedication to make this a music lovers dream!!!!
  6. Michael
    April 10, 2010 at 5:52am
    Your passion for Apple should be tempered by the notion that you didn't create an Pandora app for the iPad, rather, Apple beneficently allowed you to do so (in a controlled environment and with final approval...) you were given permission from on high to do the thing that you loved, and that is a good thing in a way, but also, kind of sad.
  7. Daniel Pepper
    April 11, 2010 at 11:20am
    Was thinking about the Pandora One, but noticed that much of your webpage was in flash, and I can't get that on my iphone (or ipad, if I had one). Are you working towards HTML5 support? I would be more inclined to purchase Pandora One if that were the case. Thanks,
  8. Richard
    April 11, 2010 at 11:32pm
    With your continued pursuit of what it seems to me is to not only provide music of similar genres to users but to provide an atmosphere to purchase music from artists that users 'like' (proof based on the buy feature), I was thinking perhaps, you can develop an application or a feature on your website that creates an easily read database/list of all music, perhaps divided by 'genres', that users 'like'. With this feature, users can keep track of what music they have purchased or own. Then the user could further filter their list to music they do not yet own but 'like'. And you can maintain your place as the middle man between between the user and the music they 'like' and would like to purchase and eventually purchase... Just a thought. Please keep me informed if you should develop a feature such as this. Thank you.
  9. Lora Holiman
    April 12, 2010 at 12:59pm
    I generally love Pandora, but two things bother me. (1) I agree with poster Steve (April 5, 2010) that when you specifically ask for an artist it takes FOREVER for that artist to come on. I know you want to introduce us to other similar music, but do it gradually by interspersing it with those we already know we like. If we ask for someone, then please give us THAT artist. (2) I'd prefer you not start loading a station - the last station I played - as soon as I open your web page. I usually want to choose another station and it just takes more time, which is an irritant. Okay,here's one more suggestion for improvement: allow us the option to REPLAY a song that just played. Sometimes I walk back to my desk to hear the tail end of one of my favorites, but I've missed it.
  10. Ryan, Pandora Support
    April 13, 2010 at 4:27pm
    Thanks so much for the great feedback everyone! To Aaron, Peter, Solonor and all those who have requested the ability to run Pandora in the background -- Apple has said that multi-tasking will be coming to the iPad this Fall. We're as excited about this as you are! To those who want help creating better Pandora stations, check out this entry on our FAQ: http://blog.pandora.com/faq/contents/88.html