Tomorrow morning as the first iPads are delivered, we’ll be launching an entirely new Pandora application built from the ground up for the iPad.

Pandora on iPad has been completely re-imagined for the iPad’s big touch interface. I think of it as the ultimate lean-in Pandora experience. Just tap the Pandora icon and let the music play while you read about the bands and music you discover. Pass it back and forth with a friend and share your discoveries. My hope is that it can play the same role that the album cover did when I was a kid — something concrete to enjoy and share as the music plays. There’s something magical about that, and this really is a magical device.

For me, this is the culmination of an almost 20 year wait. Some kids go to college so they can become a doctor. Some go with the dream of success in business. Some go in pursuit of knowledge. Some go just to have a good time.

I went so I could work at Apple.

That’s not a joke, or an exaggeration. I literally went with that singular goal and by some stroke of incredible luck, I managed to land a job there upon my graduation 18 years ago. Working at Apple was an amazing experience; the company is full of incredible people driven by a desire to change the world. During my four years there I saw all sorts of incredible products: some commonplace (the PowerBook), some infamous (the Newton) and some that never saw the light of day. Chief among those that were never released were all manner of “tablet” Macintoshes. Powered by pens and touch, these fabled devices where designed to set the Mac free from the confines of the keyboard. In the end though, it wasn’t meant to be. We could never settle on the right combination of hardware, software, and economics that would make the machines practical and popular.

None the less, there was something incredible about even those early experiments, and I’ve waited almost 20 years for some variety of tablet from Apple that would finally resolve all the issues and get the formula right. So it’s with great anticipation that I look forward to the launch of the iPad tomorrow.

I’ll be in line at an Apple Store with everyone else to pick mine up. If you decide to do the same, I hope you’ll give Pandora on iPad a listen and let us know what you think. We’d love the feedback.

Comments

1. Sharon Rippen
    April 04, 2010 at 5:41am
    In reading your post, it made me realize how important the album covers were to me. I had never thought about just how often I read the jackets and the song lyrics inside them. The photographs on their outsides made it so easy to find the music I was searching for when they were on a bookshelf with only their spines showing. One of the many reasons I enjoy Pandora is because, sometimes, I forget the names of some of the groups whose music I enjoyed in the 60's and 70's. I can easily search through names and bookmark those songs that are special to me. I was always a listener who wanted to hear many different artists at a sitting - I rarely heard an entire album and thus had multiple scratches on the records from moving the needle around. Pandora feeds my fickleness in artists and allows me the luxury of axing an artist immediately if I don't care for the song. I am an elementary school teacher, and many of my students use Pandora after school while they are waiting for their parents to pick them up. They also are big fans! I don't know about the Apple device you speak of, but if it's as great as Pandora, then it HAS to be good stuff!
  2. Ann
    April 04, 2010 at 8:00am
    How do you get one of these and what is the cost?
  3. wednesday
    April 04, 2010 at 11:41am
    It took me a few days to figure out that the update to my pop-up blocker was blocking me from logging in at Pandora. In those few days, I went and listened to the competition which should be called Lackluster. In less than an hour, I became thoroughly frustrated and disgusted with the music they shoved at me that had nothing to do with the musician/style I preferred, the busy-busy screens, the HOW LOUDLY CAN WE YELL AT YOU! advertising, and the 'LOOKIT US AREN'T WE GREAT!' mentality that seemed to pervade the site. It was all about them and not about the music. I have NEVER been so grateful for Pandora as I am now. Thank you for your clean design, the way you categorize the music you offer your listeners, your ease of use, and the way you get out of the way and let the music speak for itself. Screw the competition, I'm home with Pandora.
  4. Peter
    April 04, 2010 at 4:13pm
    Just realized that there is in fact one way Pandora can multitask on the iPad. Load Pandora, lock the screen, and then hit the small flower icon on the bottom left. Pandora is now the musical accompaniment to the photo slideshow of my family. Thanks for a great app, Peter
  5. elvia
    April 05, 2010 at 6:20am
    Love this site!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  6. Ethan
    April 05, 2010 at 12:54pm
    Pandora hasn't been playing music for me in a while (at least a few days). I haven't yet used it this month... Is there a technical issue you guys don't know about yet?
  7. Mabel
    April 05, 2010 at 1:39pm
    the ipad sounds cool and all but this is just my opinion about pandora one it's really stupid to have someone pay $36.00 a year. Well hope you take the time to read this and remeber this is MY opinion hope you change it to having to pay for pandora (i doubt you will though)
  8. Solonor
    April 05, 2010 at 7:41pm
    Love Pandora...which is why this is a waste of time and money. You can't listen to Pandora on the iPad and do anything else, which is the standard mode of operations on both my PC and my smart phone (Droid).
  9. steve
    April 05, 2010 at 8:29pm
    i couldnt help but notice that i specifically typed in two artist as specific stations and i havent heard that artist until 35 to 40 min into the station. this bugged me enough that i had to blog about this. just letting the big guy know as a customer.
  10. Kymaro
    April 07, 2010 at 1:55pm
    it's hard to justify this app until apple allows multi-tasking. I'd love to be able to listen to music as well as read the NYTimes. I don't plan on listening to music and staring at my iPad. But awesome that a App is designed.