At Pandora we devote a lot of our time to thinking about two things: personalizing your stations to best match your tastes, and how to make Pandora available everywhere you want to listen. Today I wanted to give you a little update about some of the exciting work we’ve been doing making Pandora available everywhere.

You probably know that we’ve embraced mobile in a big way with popular applications for iPhone, Android, Blackberry and Palm. What you may not know is that we didn’t stop there. Over the course of the last year we’ve been expanding our presence in living rooms by integrating with a variety of televisions, Blu-ray players, home theater systems and digital media adapters. We’ve been working with great partners like Samsung, Panasonic, Sony, Vizio, Roku, TiVo, LG and many more to make it really easy to bring Pandora into your living room where you can listen to and control your personal stations right from your television’s remote control.

Today we’re expanding again and we’re thrilled to announce that Pandora is coming to Google TV. Google TV combines the best of the web with the best of TV in one easy to use entertainment experience, giving users access to all of their favorite content from the biggest and brightest screen in their house. Google TV devices will be available in October, including a TV and Blu-Ray player from Sony and a companion box from Logitech.

We’re excited about what the Google TV platform means for the future of the Consumer Electronics device industry and for the last few months we’ve been working together with the Google TV team to deliver a Pandora experience that was built to take full advantage of the TV experience. With Pandora for Google TV you can easily tune in to the personalized stations you’ve created on the web or on your phone, listen, and rate songs with a thumbs-up or a thumbs-down. You can even create new stations right on Google TV. It’s great for parties too — as you listen, the screen updates with big beautiful album art and information that illustrates what’s playing – a great conversation piece for you and your guests.

More than 30% of all radio listening takes place in the home so it is an important place for Pandora to be. We’re excited to be working with Google to expand our presence in the living room and be sure to look out for Pandora on Google TV when products from Sony and Logitech start shipping this month.

Comments

1. Josh
    October 04, 2010 at 10:29am
    Hey, Im a big fan of Pandora and have logged coutless hours listening to this site. Ive got an idea for a new feature that i think would be Baller if existed. Could you guys possibly implement a way to save Custom Mixes of stations? Use case, I got my custom mix all set up to play 10 of my 50 stations, 7 rock stations, 1 techno station and 2 rap stations, But then at work the next day i wanna play a mix of my classical station and my piano station, with a lil bit of rainymood.com playin behind it all. Currently i have to uncheck all 10 of my rock, rap, techno stations, and check only my piano and clasical stations. I suspect it would not be hard at all for you guys to create a way to save custom mixes of different stations, so i could have all this set up much easier. Thanks, and i would have put this post in the correct place if id found it. J
  2. Rob
    October 04, 2010 at 2:47pm
    I think this is really great as I am looking forward to testing Google TV. I am curious though, are there any plans to provide a Pandora Application for Microsoft Windows Media Center? I would love to see Pandora expand onto this platform, especially since it is now included in (almost) every Windows 7 version. Please create a version for Win7 MC. I already love the apps on my iPad and Android phone :)
  3. Saajin Grey
    October 04, 2010 at 3:05pm
    Maybe I'm missing something in this concentrated effort too produce more complicated ways of listening to Pandora, or any other type of media in the car or home. As far as technology is concerned, and without taking time to check statistics I think the majority of people who are already technologically inclined to do so (a basic grasp of home computing and internet use) already have in place some kind of dock or auxiliary input on whatever they use to listen to music or watch movies. It's usually a home theater system with integrated iPod or iPhone docks, or simply a stereo with an RCA to 3.5mm cable input and with a wireless internet connection in the home one can simply plug and play directly from the device and not have to buy some specialty software or hardware. But like I said, maybe I'm missing something. As far as station personification and taste customization, I think Pandora is doing a great job, and I thank you. It would be nice to be able to say "I like this song because of the guitar work", or "I would absolutely love this song if it wasn't for the 'balls in a vice grip' vocals" (i.e. Yngwe Malmsteens instrumental work vs. his vocal work), or being able to Thumbs Down something you would normally Thumbs Up except you don't care for that particular remix or live version. I know you get that request a lot, and you're undoubtedly working on it, but there's my two pence. As long as I'm ranting and raving, I just want to close in saying how awesome it would be if I could upload from my PC or iPod Touch a custom background for my Pandora One home page. Thanks for taking the time. SG
  4. Steve
    October 04, 2010 at 3:27pm
    I hope you can take the Google TV experience even further with more music video... Steve
  5. Julia Levy
    October 04, 2010 at 5:54pm
    I'm gong to have to wait to update the technology in my living room first. I'd love to turn Pandora on when I get home from work; but have to be in my bedroom to listen to it - that's where I have my PC and speakers. Downstairs, in the living area of the house, my TV is about 13 years old - not even flat screen. I do get to watch Netflix on TV through my Wii which is cool.
  6. SueAnne
    October 05, 2010 at 2:56am
    I love Pandora and can't stop listening to the endless varieties it provides me with. I know there is a phone app, but my phone is pretty obsolete. I'm wondering if there are any plans to make a portable music device for pandora...Kinda like an mp3 player, but it supports pandora? That would be really awesome and I'd be all for it. Thanks.
  7. Alex
    October 05, 2010 at 5:10am
    Awesome. Can't wait. :)
  8. David Gruhin
    October 05, 2010 at 11:24am
    Tom, I am a loyal Pandora subscribe, and I use it on my Desktop daily during work, on my iPhone in my car streaming via Bluetooth to my stereo and on my iPad in the kitchen. However, I am also a loyal user and enthusiast of Windows Media Center. My entire home is wired to support my Media Center server which is in my basement, with Xbox 360's as extenders in each room. As I said before, I love Pandora, and I am able to listen to Pandora "EVERYWHERE" except in Windows Media Center through an Extender. I, and I am sure countless other Windows Media Center users are wondering if we will ever see a native WMC Plugin for Pandora that will work on extenders? Basic support work be great, if I could just listen to Pandora from my Xbox 360 Media center extender, without having to leave the Media Center Interface that would be great! Down the road if there was a way to get all of my Media Center devices playing Pandora in Sync for a whole home audio experience.... Well that would just be amazing! Keep up the great work and awesome service! -David Gruhin
  9. Fred Cowen III
    October 05, 2010 at 11:55am
    I'm very glad to be a part of Pandora Radio. I thoroughly enjoy all of the features that you have. Keep up the good work!
  10. Gary H
    October 05, 2010 at 3:09pm
    Great news about Google TV. I've been waiting to hear when that's coming out. FYI... I just started recently using Pandora. I keep seeing it in store add's for TV's and Blue Ray players. So my curiosity got the best of me and voila, I'm a big fan. Unfortunately, I would have tried this sooner, but the ads don't tell what Pandora is. So my suggestion to your marketing guys is tell partners to list you as Pandora Smart Internet Radio, or something like that. With just the name (Pandora) your relying on brand recognigtion, and your missing an audience who reads Pandora and says hmmmm, is that the Avatar movie? or Hmmmm? What is tha? Since you don't advertise on TV or Radio you miss getting the word out about such a great offering.