Today a bipartisan bill was introduced in Congress by members of the House and Senate called the Internet Radio Fairness Act (H.R. 6480 and S. 3609).

It is a very important bill for Pandora. For the first time since 1998, it will finally bring fairness to the way performance royalties are determined for internet radio.

Pandora pays performers (and composers) for every song that we stream. And we do so proudly. I’m a longtime working musician myself, and supporting musicians is a central principle at Pandora.

However, as a result of legislative and legal strong-arming done over a decade ago by the RIAA, internet radio is subject to its own, very discriminatory standard. The resulting bias is staggering. To give you an idea, last year Pandora paid about half of all its revenue in performance fees alone. In that same year, SiriusXM paid 7.5%. No radio service anywhere in the world pays more than 15% of its revenue in such royalties. The anti-internet bias in federal law is nothing short of absurd.

The Internet Radio Fairness Act will address this discrimination by extending to internet radio the same standard used to determine virtually all copyright rate-setting processes, including satellite and cable radio, allowing us to compete on a level playing field.

Today we begin a grass-roots campaign to pass the Act and correct this discrimination.

This is not a campaign to stop paying royalties, or even to pay as little as possible. We’re just fighting for fairness.

We’ll be reaching out for your support in the coming days and weeks. So if you’re a fan of internet radio and want to lend your voice to our efforts, please keep an eye out for our messages. We would be very grateful for your support.

A summary of the bill and the rates issue can be found here: www.pandora.com/fairnetradio

Thanks for taking the time to read this note.

Tim (Founder)
#FairNetRadio

Comments

1. paula
    October 03, 2012 at 9:11am
    Hey. Just wanted to say I love Pandora!! And that I just sent messages to all my representatives here in Florida. Good luck!!
  2. ipad3keyboard
    October 03, 2012 at 1:27pm
    It is not fair at all. I support Pandora for its rightful cause. I hope this discrimination will end on the online radios. Sharing this post with my social network now.
  3. chunt1988
    October 04, 2012 at 3:25am
    good to see people can still go from singing on the street to living the dream and taking thier music to the masses New Age Media Online
  4. Angelica Hagood
    October 05, 2012 at 12:15am
    I love Pandora, and I think what you are doing is awesome! I'm a proud supporter of this! I hope many many people Pandora listeners take the time to voice their opinions! ~AJ [Jacksonville, FL]
  5. willie cheatham
    October 05, 2012 at 3:36am
    I support the Internet Radio Fairness Act 6480 there are people out there that this is what they do listen to radio and why do you want to that this also away from us; We are suppose to be free Americans and every time we turn around the government is wanting to take from us and I myself as a American am tired of it. We the people are standing for some of our rights and saying enough is enough.
  6. Brandon
    October 07, 2012 at 7:01am
    Pandora rocks!
  7. kylar
    October 08, 2012 at 2:49pm
    I love u Tim for making pandora I would not be able to function without pandora. best of luck :).
  8. Julie
    October 09, 2012 at 3:57am
    I support the Internet Radio Fairness Act, bill number 6480! I love pandora and listen to it for hours everyday. I can find so much music I couldn't find on the radio and CDs. It helps me create my own playlists and knows the music I like. I love it and would be lost without it!!!! Please don't take it away from us!
  9. Rachel
    October 09, 2012 at 3:20pm
    Thank you; Pandora has made me laugh with the comedy, sing along with songs I haven't heard in years, and play conductor with the classics. You have broadened my musical taste by introducing me to music I wouldn't have heard otherwise, and my family and friends are always talking about new artists and adding to our playlists. We absolutely LOVE Pandora. You have our support.
  10. Lulu
    October 12, 2012 at 11:05am
    I absolutely LOVE Pandora and never listen to anything else whether it's on my iPhone, during exercise, in my house or my car. All I wanted to say is keep up the good work on providing great music for us.

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )