Today a bipartisan bill was introduced in Congress by members of the House and Senate called the Internet Radio Fairness Act (H.R. 6480 and S. 3609).

It is a very important bill for Pandora. For the first time since 1998, it will finally bring fairness to the way performance royalties are determined for internet radio.

Pandora pays performers (and composers) for every song that we stream. And we do so proudly. I’m a longtime working musician myself, and supporting musicians is a central principle at Pandora.

However, as a result of legislative and legal strong-arming done over a decade ago by the RIAA, internet radio is subject to its own, very discriminatory standard. The resulting bias is staggering. To give you an idea, last year Pandora paid about half of all its revenue in performance fees alone. In that same year, SiriusXM paid 7.5%. No radio service anywhere in the world pays more than 15% of its revenue in such royalties. The anti-internet bias in federal law is nothing short of absurd.

The Internet Radio Fairness Act will address this discrimination by extending to internet radio the same standard used to determine virtually all copyright rate-setting processes, including satellite and cable radio, allowing us to compete on a level playing field.

Today we begin a grass-roots campaign to pass the Act and correct this discrimination.

This is not a campaign to stop paying royalties, or even to pay as little as possible. We’re just fighting for fairness.

We’ll be reaching out for your support in the coming days and weeks. So if you’re a fan of internet radio and want to lend your voice to our efforts, please keep an eye out for our messages. We would be very grateful for your support.

A summary of the bill and the rates issue can be found here: www.pandora.com/fairnetradio

Thanks for taking the time to read this note.

Tim (Founder)
#FairNetRadio

Comments

1. Sylvia
    September 28, 2012 at 8:59pm
    Love u guys best of luck and u have my support!I
  2. Gabriel Ormond
    September 29, 2012 at 7:40pm
    I am a music lover from my childhood. I like different kinds of pop , hip hop and rock musics. After graduation, i have set up my own music shop and online business. We generally serves trumpet sheet music , which is free and downloadable as pdf. I support Pandora and Last.fm and i can't change my tastes. So i will join to stop this.
  3. Clinton Hobart
    September 30, 2012 at 8:41am
    Pandora needs to have the petition form already filled out and sent to everyone in an email, so that all they have to do is click "Sign The Petition". This is how "MoveOn.org" does it and It will increase the amount of people of will sign the petition.
  4. O’Dell Lake Road
    October 01, 2012 at 4:27am
    I sent this to both senators for Michigan seeking their legislative support. Hope this helps.
  5. Brittany
    October 01, 2012 at 9:46am
    I LOVE Pandora and I made sure I wrote my representatives. However, I think you should maybe come up with an example of what you want people to write to their representatives. I am an avid listener to Pandora, so I had no problem writing up my own little thing; however, I think you might get more supporters if you give them a pre-written letter that they can just copy and paste. Just put it right up on the main page that you link over to. Just a recommendation. I hope that this bill passes for you guys!!!!
  6. Josh Huleisy
    October 02, 2012 at 7:21am
    I wanted to thank Pandora for the amazing product it is and how consistent it has been for me for years on a daily basis. I truly hope justice works in your favor and Godspeed!
  7. Edna Ribeiro
    October 02, 2012 at 11:16am
    Dear Tim, I've been listening to Pandora since 2008 and I have notice the changes and the growth and I am very proud of you! It's an outstanding business idea and to me it just keeps getting better. I'm a Massage Therapist and I listen to Pandora tuned in to my "Kitaro" station and it's always perfect. I've been a Pandora One subscriber then I left it alone and listened to it with the commercials for a while and just a few days ago I decided to buy PandoraOne after listening to your message and honestly felt like paying twice as much and would do so happily! I pay nearly $15 a month to SeriusXM and because of your cause, I have cancelled my account with them.. It's my way of supporting Pandora. Now Pandora is with me in my car too! :) Good luck with everything and keep up the great work. Get Pandora to Brazil! :-)
  8. Janet Hernandez
    October 02, 2012 at 2:39pm
    I love my Pandora and so do my kids!! I support the Internet Radio Fairness Act. I hope this works for you guys. God Bless!
  9. Leanne
    October 02, 2012 at 4:31pm
    make sure you include the number of jobs you create in the usa
  10. lora lowe
    October 02, 2012 at 6:40pm
    When they took away regular TV, even though i have a antena i can not get the news, Weather ect. I really enjoy classical music w/ pandora radio. We need to stand up for the fairness act, 3609 as so we may all enjoy.

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )