Today a bipartisan bill was introduced in Congress by members of the House and Senate called the Internet Radio Fairness Act (H.R. 6480 and S. 3609).

It is a very important bill for Pandora. For the first time since 1998, it will finally bring fairness to the way performance royalties are determined for internet radio.

Pandora pays performers (and composers) for every song that we stream. And we do so proudly. I’m a longtime working musician myself, and supporting musicians is a central principle at Pandora.

However, as a result of legislative and legal strong-arming done over a decade ago by the RIAA, internet radio is subject to its own, very discriminatory standard. The resulting bias is staggering. To give you an idea, last year Pandora paid about half of all its revenue in performance fees alone. In that same year, SiriusXM paid 7.5%. No radio service anywhere in the world pays more than 15% of its revenue in such royalties. The anti-internet bias in federal law is nothing short of absurd.

The Internet Radio Fairness Act will address this discrimination by extending to internet radio the same standard used to determine virtually all copyright rate-setting processes, including satellite and cable radio, allowing us to compete on a level playing field.

Today we begin a grass-roots campaign to pass the Act and correct this discrimination.

This is not a campaign to stop paying royalties, or even to pay as little as possible. We’re just fighting for fairness.

We’ll be reaching out for your support in the coming days and weeks. So if you’re a fan of internet radio and want to lend your voice to our efforts, please keep an eye out for our messages. We would be very grateful for your support.

A summary of the bill and the rates issue can be found here: www.pandora.com/fairnetradio

Thanks for taking the time to read this note.

Tim (Founder)
#FairNetRadio

Comments

1. Bethany Greer
    September 21, 2012 at 2:38pm
    Hey Tim, I appreciate what you are doing. I love Pandora, as "Crystal Castles" plays in the background. I support the Internet Raidio Fairness Act! :)
  2. Esteban Romero
    September 21, 2012 at 2:48pm
    Hello! I just wanted to say that I support PANDORA with this problem, I contacted my Local Representative of Denver, Colorado US. REP.Diana DeGette also my Senator US.SENATOR Mark Udall. Hopefully that will make us a little closer to no more Internet Radio Discrimination! Thank you for your great creation "PANDORA" it truly is Pandora's box but for the good :) Esteban Romero
  3. frank tudisco
    September 21, 2012 at 4:23pm
    I definitely support this. Love Pandora Internet Radio and all that is offers me - convenience of radio without the signal haha. I'll be contacting my Representatives about this issue
  4. Casey Kazan
    September 21, 2012 at 7:56pm
    This is awesome! We'll do all we can to help get support to see this bill through the House and Senate. Godspeed, Pandora!
  5. Jeremy Trombley
    September 22, 2012 at 10:31am
    Def stand with Pandora 100%... Quick-Convenient-Classy... I dig it... Pandora all day
  6. mike thaler
    September 22, 2012 at 12:30pm
    What are the bill numbers? It is helpful to Senate and House staff to give them the bill numbers (eg. SB # or HR #).
  7. Jamie Slusher
    September 23, 2012 at 9:39am
    It is sad this is happening, they fear the nets ability to reach the masses. Funny thing is they have alot of online sales of their music. Boycott their sales and only listen to radio, or internet radio only. They are quite greedy, and fearful, but the net has alot of numbers. News papers hate the internet. Use that presence to send a message. Cut their sales, and refuse to go to their concerts as well, they'll start to see that money matters to you; as much as it benefits them. They are not God's gift to us.
  8. jleslie
    September 23, 2012 at 5:19pm
    Cannot find anywhere on this site to send general feedback. But I must say the advertisement of a "Ticket Oak" blossoming tickets is so repulsive, I wonder if it is a ploy to get me to upgrade my membership.
  9. Victoria
    September 24, 2012 at 7:03am
    I use Pandora religiously on the go. As a New Yorker it's perfect for my commute. Whatever it takes to show support. I will back you guys up! It's the most used app on my iPhone and I don't know what I would do without it.
  10. Cathy
    September 24, 2012 at 10:07am
    I, too, contacted my senator and asked him for support. We love Pandora!

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )