Dear listeners –

After months of furious development, this morning we’re launching a major new initiative on Pandora.

As you may know, we’ve tried for a while now to figure out how to incorporate the more social aspects of music into our service. Sharing music is, after all, one of life’s great pleasures.

The idea behind today’s update is to make it really easy to share your Pandora stations and music discoveries with your friends – and vice versa. Now your friends can be a daily source of inspiration for new stations and music discovery. I’ve been testing out the service while we were developing it and I have to say it really brings a wonderful new human dimension to the listening experience.

To make this truly easy for you, we’ve partnered with the experts at Facebook. Starting today, you can easily link your experience on Pandora with your friends on Facebook. This quickly brings your Facebook friend list into Pandora along with your Facebook profile picture. It quite literally puts a whole new face on Pandora.

Know that this is entirely optional. Even though we’re excited about the new dimension this adds to Pandora, we want to be very respectful of your privacy. If you don’t want to bring your Facebook world into Pandora, just opt out. It will disappear forever. Period.

As always, and maybe on this one more than ever, we’re eager to hear what you think.

Enjoy!

Tim (Founder)
P.S. For more detail, feel free to check out: blog.pandora.com/faq/contents/10010.html

Comments

1. musiclover
    August 04, 2010 at 1:52pm
    My MP3 player just died on me & I am looking for a new one. Any chance I'll be able to find one w/ Pandora on it? Thanks.
  2. Laska
    August 08, 2010 at 4:30am
    I downloaded pandora and I cannot get it to work. I obviously not very good on the computer and I am a elderly person. Does does work through my lap top speakers or do I have to buy some different speakers. It lets me pick a artist but it won't play. I have XP.
  3. Rachel
    August 08, 2010 at 8:53am
    Why does this not work on my phone ... BlackberryPearl ... It takes forever to start up and then you get it going and it freezes ... and wait a min and you get 20 sec. and then freeze for another 1 or two ... i have changed the settings for low connection even though it is a good connection ... I love the idea behind Pandora but whats the point if it takes 7 mins to liston to 1 song... anyone else with this problem on their phone any ideas on how i might fix it ... thanks XooX
  4. thirtennaces
    August 10, 2010 at 12:15pm
    hey every one i love this radio there is no better way to wake up and here all the great metal bands. I love this station thank you for making it i love it
  5. Jerri Lynn Mcleod
    August 15, 2010 at 8:47am
    Is there no way to download anything from here?
  6. incurablegeek
    August 29, 2010 at 7:33pm
    A rather simple technical question: Assuming I have the maximum possible bandwidth, which I do, am I receiving MP3, CD quality, degree of compression, if any. Also, I could not help but notice that some of the comments are pretty acrimonious, especially when it comes to Facebook. My response is very simple. If your social life is such that Facebook friends are a necessity, then you get what you bought into. As for my musical choices being posted on Facebook, that is of course wrong but again of no consequence to me. Again, I don't feel a need to be social in that sense, i.e. a need to share my musical choices with others. I have too many friends in the "real world". As for Pandora being a subscriber station and charging a fee, I have only two responses: 1) The fee is nominal and the quality is superb; 2) If you don't like the reality of keeping the lights on and the need for charging a nominal fee accordingly, Please Go Elsewhere. Ah, but a big OoPs! on that one. Other places ALSO charge a free and their quality is crap. So stop whining, shut up and enjoy the station or ... And did I post this to be "social" or win "friends"? Not exactly. I just wanted to ask a question about the degree of compression and had to plow through a whole litany of whining and complaining in search of an answer - and still didn't find anything even remotely relevant. And that has teed me off. Pandora is a real gift. So Enjoy it!
  7. Middaniel
    September 02, 2010 at 3:31pm
    I'm with AA on this one: get some VARIETY in the ads. I pull my headphones out every time the stupid "This is an actual call to Philadelphia, PA" [obnoxious giggly voice] "Yeah, I want [giggle] steak and peppers on top of my [giggle] burger." [giggle] "duh, what? You want MEAT on top of a BURGER?" "Yeah, [obnoxious giggle] I like meat." [more giggling and stupid responses for the rest of the commercial] I could probably list the commercial word-for-word if I wanted to, but I DON'T WANT TO. Repeated commercials actually DETRACT from advertising. I am now very UNlikely to ever get a cheesesteak burger from Carl's, Jr., because that would imply that I want them to continue making bad commercials about it. Perhaps the commercial would have been good if I didn't have to hear it every ten minutes. I used to have the same problem with MLB.TV: they played the same five or six ads over and over and over and over again. Fortunately, I now block those by redirecting the advertising agency's HTTP requests to 0.0.0.0, but I can't find a similar solution for Pandora. If I had hired the individual(s) responsible for putting a small number of advertisements through a rotation that occurs every few minutes (and thus the same ad repeats more than once every hour), thus annoying my customers and wasting the advertising client's money, I would FIRE that/those individual(s). Enough said.
  8. atlantasteve
    September 05, 2010 at 2:28pm
    How can I get full lyrics on my ps3?
  9. mickeysix
    September 09, 2010 at 1:18pm
    everyone blasting pandora for charging needs to stop it because they're ignorant of the politics of that situation. soundexchange (SX) is the organization that collects royalties on broadcast music in the united states. without going too deep into the details, SX charges pandora every time an artist is played. if pandora stayed fully free of charge, it would have to shut down within weeks, maybe even days because of the royalty fees. you should be happy pandora still exists at all -- they came within a whisker's width of having to shut down forever last year. look, i miss the happy fun days of free internet everything just as much as the next person, but bills must be paid and people have to eat -- and royalty collectors, justified or not, nevertheless exist and they demand their "due." so please, before you spout off stupid selfish ignorant ****, do your homework and stop acting like a crybaby.
  10. garth
    October 15, 2010 at 1:07pm
    must we have christmas music? Please don't add such a divergent genre into my station.