Dear listeners –

After months of furious development, this morning we’re launching a major new initiative on Pandora.

As you may know, we’ve tried for a while now to figure out how to incorporate the more social aspects of music into our service. Sharing music is, after all, one of life’s great pleasures.

The idea behind today’s update is to make it really easy to share your Pandora stations and music discoveries with your friends – and vice versa. Now your friends can be a daily source of inspiration for new stations and music discovery. I’ve been testing out the service while we were developing it and I have to say it really brings a wonderful new human dimension to the listening experience.

To make this truly easy for you, we’ve partnered with the experts at Facebook. Starting today, you can easily link your experience on Pandora with your friends on Facebook. This quickly brings your Facebook friend list into Pandora along with your Facebook profile picture. It quite literally puts a whole new face on Pandora.

Know that this is entirely optional. Even though we’re excited about the new dimension this adds to Pandora, we want to be very respectful of your privacy. If you don’t want to bring your Facebook world into Pandora, just opt out. It will disappear forever. Period.

As always, and maybe on this one more than ever, we’re eager to hear what you think.

Enjoy!

Tim (Founder)
P.S. For more detail, feel free to check out: blog.pandora.com/faq/contents/10010.html

Comments

1. Aaron
    April 21, 2010 at 11:47am
    Awesome news Tim! More is better. How (or when) will these features be incorporated into Pandora One (the desktop app) and those that listen through devices (like my Squeezebox)?
  2. Joe Burnsed
    April 21, 2010 at 12:04pm
    this has nothing to do with this post but I couldn't find any contact information for you guys besides this. The entire album Nico, by Blind Melon is missing from your system. I was really surprised by this because I've found some pretty obscure stuff on here. Anyways you guys do an amazing job. thanks, Joe.
  3. lindsey
    April 21, 2010 at 1:51pm
    this sounds awe.some :) cant wait to try it out!
  4. Tony
    April 21, 2010 at 3:40pm
    Sounds like a great start, thanks for moving in this direction. Unfortunately most of my friends are not really interesting when it comes to the music they listen to. Hopefully you'll eventually work towards allowing people with similar tastes to meet somehow.
  5. jordan
    April 21, 2010 at 8:12pm
    WTF IS THIS 40 HOUR LIMIT THATS SO STUPID YOUR JUST TRYING TO MAKE MONEY AND RUIN WHAT PANDORA WAS ALL ABOUT
  6. bob
    April 22, 2010 at 5:12am
    I assume the physical style changes to the website coincided with these latest upgrades? Just one comment/complaint... the vertical "drop down" volume control is annoying... It is slow to respond and adds an unnecessary step. The mute button has been eliminated too (which came in handy since I listen at work). Can you please switch it back to the horizontal slider with the mute button? Thanks.
  7. Tony
    April 22, 2010 at 5:49am
    Hey Joe, The contact information doesn't have an obvious link like many sites, but if you go to the About Pandora link at the bottom of a page and then click on the Contact link near the top of that page you'll be presented with a number of different contact options. Tony
  8. Daisy
    April 22, 2010 at 6:05am
    Is it possible to turn off the Facebook integration for my account? I did nothing to enable it, but this morning my profile is showing my full name and my Facebook profile picture. I can see how this might be a good feature for some, but I do not want my full name or photo displayed here.
  9. william
    April 22, 2010 at 7:06am
    I want here the music of artists who's name is posted on the radio station I created, at least every three songs and I dont want have to listen 6 songs before I here it. I thought this was the purpose of creating your own radio station
  10. Brandon
    April 22, 2010 at 8:41am
    I'm with Joe on the fact I can't find a contact information page on your site, just thougth I would share my appreciation for your site. As a 24 yr old in the media industry its great to see content that people want being delivered without bombarding the users with paid advertising. Keep it to one advertiser every so often and you will never have any problems making money and adding users. Good luck!