sd_1-thumb-564x322-246

Well, we capped off the Dakotas/Nebraska tour with a lecture at Augustana College in Sioux Falls (thanks to the Sioux Falls Jazz and Blues Society) on Thursday and a terrific town hall that evening; then a meetup at the amazing Durham museum in Omaha last night (with a relaxing drive across the plains in between). We sure lucked out on the weather this trip. Not a flake of snow.

sd 3.jpgSioux Falls – thanks to Jeremy and the crew at the Museum for Visual Materials for being such a great host and for spreading the news locally. And what a turnout – around 250 people showed up for a very lively conversation – first time we’ve had more people show up than actually RSVPd. I learned something: classical music helps plants grow faster than rock music… That’s apparently been scientifically proven. Go figure.

Omaha – what a beautiful city. Pops up out of nowhere. So much interesting architecture. Spent some time touring the city with a local friend (thanks Susie). Met a number of budding college entrepreneurs. My sense is that the music industry is going to see a huge influx of DIY entrants eager to enter an industry that has become much more accessible to the new participant. Should be great for innovation. Sorry we had to move from the Pizza Shoppe Collective – just had way too big an audience by the time the date rolled around.
A hearty thanks to all the local journalists who showed up and helped spread the word about the events. Appreciate your many supportive articles before and after the visit.

Some really interesting suggestions/requests from the two meetings:

A “put that song to sleep” feature that would get successively longer rather than starting at a month.

Voice commands on smartphone apps (interesting idea for in-car use).
Feature parity across all smartphones. Smartphone users clearly want a full-featured version on all phones. I continue to be amazed by how many people are now using smartphones as their primary way to listen.

More and more people are asking about being able to integrate their personal collection with Pandora. Perhaps allowing some on-demand listening through that (tricky from a licensing perspective).

Ability to buy Pandora One on a month to month basis.

Access to an open API for developers so they can start inventing new apps with data from the Music Genome Project. There’s a steady drumbeat for this. Again, tricky from a licensing standpoint given all the constraints on the copyrighted material we stream.

Back home to Oakland, with many, many fond memories.

Tim (Founder)

Comments

1. bernie
    December 13, 2010 at 1:50pm
    hi Tim. My family is a new listener of your station. we are very much delighted and we hope you will keep playing inspiring selections. God bless and more power!!
  2. Jakob Inthout
    December 14, 2010 at 2:13pm
    I joined Pandora ecause I wanted to listen to some of my favorite music but since I'm in Thailand I can not!! I didnt know about the restrictions.
  3. Jack
    December 14, 2010 at 3:36pm
    Love the droid app. I prefer Pandora over my satellite radio.
  4. felix
    December 15, 2010 at 9:17am
    Hey there, Great job on a fantastic service. I am an avid listener (home, work, car, workout), but I have to say that recently I have been having some connection trouble. There are long periods of silence between songs or a song will cut in and out. It could be my favorite network AT&T (extreme sarcasm), but just thought I'd check. Also, on my account page I didn't see any obvious spot to give feedback. If there is one please tell me where it is. Lastly, the commercials I'm getting are not that relevant to me. I understand they're not all going to be 100% relevant, but I'm a 20 something male and the commercials are addressing females for engagement rings. I don't mind tuning out for 30 seconds, but it'd be better if it was actually for something I liked. Cheers
  5. sarah
    December 19, 2010 at 5:51pm
    tim o love pandora!! its a great site and plays only music i like!!!!
  6. Sharon
    December 20, 2010 at 12:16pm
    Hi Pandora Crew, I have listened to Pandora Free for years, finally I maxed out my 40 hours a month and decided to upgrade to Pandora One. I haven't regretted it yet! :-) I listen to Pandora at work, in my car, on my smartphone when exercising. I like Pandora's variety more than taking a lot of memory with downloads. I have one question, how do I get my Pandora to work with my Wii? I have an internet connection on my Wii console. Sharon
  7. Anna
    December 28, 2010 at 1:30am
    I used to listen to this site when in the U.S. Amazing site! I'm waiting for it to open up to listeners in Australia too!
  8. Chuck
    January 13, 2011 at 10:17am
    Hi Tim, I found your site via another student. I really am impressed with Pandora; love the work that you’re doing. I see a lot of room for growth, as well as many changes to make it better. This could be the next Yahoo type of growth thing. Keep up the good work and try and do some advertizing, you could be flooded with new users. Chuck...
  9. witheld
    February 06, 2011 at 5:34am
    Nice concept of compiling music that is similar. However commercials will get ya. I am the new norm, i have lots of music at the touch of buttons, at home: wifi, fmtransmitter for kicks; in car: ipod. Tv watching is not done in real time either, dvr means i dont watch the commercials, just click click. General feeling, if i pay for something cabel channels for instance, why in the hell should i watch a commercial for something i paid for? Make it commercial free for a fee, ill bet the money will pour in.
  10. JimmyTheBean
    February 10, 2011 at 11:12pm
    If I paid you a years worth of free no commercial music, a) Why do I still see occasional ads and pop ups? b) Why can't I skip as many as I want. Seems like I paid for a free service with minimal additional benefit