sd_1-thumb-564x322-246

Well, we capped off the Dakotas/Nebraska tour with a lecture at Augustana College in Sioux Falls (thanks to the Sioux Falls Jazz and Blues Society) on Thursday and a terrific town hall that evening; then a meetup at the amazing Durham museum in Omaha last night (with a relaxing drive across the plains in between). We sure lucked out on the weather this trip. Not a flake of snow.

sd 3.jpgSioux Falls – thanks to Jeremy and the crew at the Museum for Visual Materials for being such a great host and for spreading the news locally. And what a turnout – around 250 people showed up for a very lively conversation – first time we’ve had more people show up than actually RSVPd. I learned something: classical music helps plants grow faster than rock music… That’s apparently been scientifically proven. Go figure.

Omaha – what a beautiful city. Pops up out of nowhere. So much interesting architecture. Spent some time touring the city with a local friend (thanks Susie). Met a number of budding college entrepreneurs. My sense is that the music industry is going to see a huge influx of DIY entrants eager to enter an industry that has become much more accessible to the new participant. Should be great for innovation. Sorry we had to move from the Pizza Shoppe Collective – just had way too big an audience by the time the date rolled around.
A hearty thanks to all the local journalists who showed up and helped spread the word about the events. Appreciate your many supportive articles before and after the visit.

Some really interesting suggestions/requests from the two meetings:

A “put that song to sleep” feature that would get successively longer rather than starting at a month.

Voice commands on smartphone apps (interesting idea for in-car use).
Feature parity across all smartphones. Smartphone users clearly want a full-featured version on all phones. I continue to be amazed by how many people are now using smartphones as their primary way to listen.

More and more people are asking about being able to integrate their personal collection with Pandora. Perhaps allowing some on-demand listening through that (tricky from a licensing perspective).

Ability to buy Pandora One on a month to month basis.

Access to an open API for developers so they can start inventing new apps with data from the Music Genome Project. There’s a steady drumbeat for this. Again, tricky from a licensing standpoint given all the constraints on the copyrighted material we stream.

Back home to Oakland, with many, many fond memories.

Tim (Founder)

Comments

1. Paul
    November 30, 2010 at 5:33pm
    We'd love to have a game version of Pandora. Provide a game page in Pandora that hides the song title, artist, album and year for 30 seconds, or until i tap a field. Then let me award the points for the field to one of 2 or more player names in a list. Maybe 5 for title, 10 for artist, 15 for album, 20 for year (ideally we can set our own values for each field). My wife and I play this game informally every time we listen to Pandora by looking away from the screen until one of us blurts out a guess.
  2. Heather
    December 01, 2010 at 1:20pm
    It would be convenient to have a "bookmark this album" option along with bookmarking songs and artists!
  3. chicagorocks
    December 01, 2010 at 4:23pm
    Thanks Pandora, you guys rock!
  4. Colin
    December 01, 2010 at 6:06pm
    I have a feature idea: to be able to "tune in" to someones Pandora station they are currently listening to, or have set up to perfection. We listen to Pandora all day in the small office I work in and occasionally I would like the ability to tune in to what they're listening to when I'm not there. It would also be great to be able to listen to your favorite artist's own stations... that's WAY better than Ping! Thanks for listening, and making Pandora great!
  5. Cara dB
    December 02, 2010 at 8:34am
    Hey, I love Pandora and have been listening for years (I was so excited when I moved back to the US in 2005 and could finally listen to this Pandora thing that people in the US kept talking about!) Two things: Last month I hit the 40 hour limit and upgraded for 99 cents for the rest of the month - then i became so excited by the increased skips that yesterday, Dec 1, I signed up for a year. Only one person, I know, but as a user experience I thought it might be valuable for you from a marketing perspective. the other thing - I'm sure you hear this a lot - but I'd love to have a "I really like this song a LOT" as well as the regular thumbs up (in other words, I'd like the algorithm to be weighted, ideally over time so that seven thumbs up from two years ago counts less than seven thumbs up today.) Also it would be cool if there was an "I like this song but not this cover/version" option - I often get covers and sometimes I like them a LOT less than the album version, but I don't want to put a thumbs-down for the song because I still want to hear my favorite version a lot. thanks again for providing this!
  6. Kim
    December 03, 2010 at 4:33am
    I just want to say this is the BEST droid "app" I have found. I love it!!!!
  7. Jo Ann Buckner
    December 06, 2010 at 3:44am
    I feel the love that you have put into your project. HOW WONDERFUL!!! Thanks a million, even tho' listening has delayed my project more than an hour in the middle of the night. After listening... I decided to sent emails to scads of folks to introduce 'em to Pandora. And now I must also request prayer from you to facilitate me getting back on track expeditiously and effectively completing my project at nearly 4am. Thanks again and Endless Blessings to All Jo Ann Buckner ps: If it benefits you and me please tell me what URL is or does so that I may cease the moment.... thanksz
  8. Ryan, Pandora Support
    December 06, 2010 at 4:45pm
    @ Paul -- cool idea! I don't think we have the resources to devote to a Pandora game right now, but I'm going to try playing it with my coworkers :-) @Colin -- thanks for the suggestion, we'll keep that in mind! @Cara dB -- thanks for the great feedback and for upgrading to Pandora One! You don't have to worry about giving a thumbs down to a version of a song you don't like...you won't ban other versions of that song.
  9. Leigh ann
    December 11, 2010 at 11:52am
    Hi i love pandora radio. just a few suggestions: u should havea way to look at everybody that has an account not just look them up. also you should have a way to upload a pic
  10. lindsey
    December 12, 2010 at 2:14pm
    need an equalizer built in like itunes