sd_1-thumb-564x322-246

Well, we capped off the Dakotas/Nebraska tour with a lecture at Augustana College in Sioux Falls (thanks to the Sioux Falls Jazz and Blues Society) on Thursday and a terrific town hall that evening; then a meetup at the amazing Durham museum in Omaha last night (with a relaxing drive across the plains in between). We sure lucked out on the weather this trip. Not a flake of snow.

sd 3.jpgSioux Falls – thanks to Jeremy and the crew at the Museum for Visual Materials for being such a great host and for spreading the news locally. And what a turnout – around 250 people showed up for a very lively conversation – first time we’ve had more people show up than actually RSVPd. I learned something: classical music helps plants grow faster than rock music… That’s apparently been scientifically proven. Go figure.

Omaha – what a beautiful city. Pops up out of nowhere. So much interesting architecture. Spent some time touring the city with a local friend (thanks Susie). Met a number of budding college entrepreneurs. My sense is that the music industry is going to see a huge influx of DIY entrants eager to enter an industry that has become much more accessible to the new participant. Should be great for innovation. Sorry we had to move from the Pizza Shoppe Collective – just had way too big an audience by the time the date rolled around.
A hearty thanks to all the local journalists who showed up and helped spread the word about the events. Appreciate your many supportive articles before and after the visit.

Some really interesting suggestions/requests from the two meetings:

A “put that song to sleep” feature that would get successively longer rather than starting at a month.

Voice commands on smartphone apps (interesting idea for in-car use).
Feature parity across all smartphones. Smartphone users clearly want a full-featured version on all phones. I continue to be amazed by how many people are now using smartphones as their primary way to listen.

More and more people are asking about being able to integrate their personal collection with Pandora. Perhaps allowing some on-demand listening through that (tricky from a licensing perspective).

Ability to buy Pandora One on a month to month basis.

Access to an open API for developers so they can start inventing new apps with data from the Music Genome Project. There’s a steady drumbeat for this. Again, tricky from a licensing standpoint given all the constraints on the copyrighted material we stream.

Back home to Oakland, with many, many fond memories.

Tim (Founder)

Comments

1. Brian Debol
    November 21, 2010 at 5:42pm
    Why can't you pull up some particular artists? Example. Type in Thompson Twins and you get Howard Jones
  2. Sabra Gore
    November 21, 2010 at 11:52pm
    The number of ads have skyrocketed. Revenue is understandable, but when the ads compromise the experience, it is literally a turn off.
  3. LinusG
    November 22, 2010 at 1:17am
    Hi! I'm a new listener...and the experience was awesome...looking forward for more exciting media experience. Energy Medicine
  4. cami
    November 23, 2010 at 8:19am
    hi i love Pandora it is awesome!!! :)
  5. Rebecca
    November 23, 2010 at 9:37am
    I recently had a computer crash and lost all of the music that was stored on my system. My 13 year old introduced me to Pandora, I am so excited to be able to listen to whatever I want again. Thank you for this site.
  6. jessica
    November 24, 2010 at 12:00pm
    Hey I just have a quick question.. I know the app for pandora says it free, but a lot of apps like to trick people and say it's free when itks really only free for the first month. So will it always be free?
  7. lance freeman
    November 28, 2010 at 6:18pm
    i have been waiting very patiently for service provided to the htc hd2 with tmobile. if you could escalate this request i would be thrilled. thank you. Lance.
  8. Timothy Helms
    November 29, 2010 at 6:55am
    Hi Tim, Please add Greenville, South Carolina, To your tour if you come to Greenville i would be glad to host you & your crew in Greenville, South Carolina we love Pandora its the best app i have ever had.
  9. Cassy
    November 29, 2010 at 9:55am
    I just wanted to say that you all are genius........ I am an avid music listener and this idea....music and choices are phenomenal..........I thank you!
  10. Susan
    November 29, 2010 at 1:19pm
    I'd like to second the option of a sliding scale or a neutral option. Also, I'd like a way in the menu to "report" a song that is not playing well. I am currently listening to a Steve Miller song that sounds horribly like a scratchy 45 but there's nowhere to report that. All in all, love Pandora, though I also wish the more you like something, the more often it played...and that the specific songs you put in would also play in the course of the same day you input it.