sd_1-thumb-564x322-246

Well, we capped off the Dakotas/Nebraska tour with a lecture at Augustana College in Sioux Falls (thanks to the Sioux Falls Jazz and Blues Society) on Thursday and a terrific town hall that evening; then a meetup at the amazing Durham museum in Omaha last night (with a relaxing drive across the plains in between). We sure lucked out on the weather this trip. Not a flake of snow.

sd 3.jpgSioux Falls – thanks to Jeremy and the crew at the Museum for Visual Materials for being such a great host and for spreading the news locally. And what a turnout – around 250 people showed up for a very lively conversation – first time we’ve had more people show up than actually RSVPd. I learned something: classical music helps plants grow faster than rock music… That’s apparently been scientifically proven. Go figure.

Omaha – what a beautiful city. Pops up out of nowhere. So much interesting architecture. Spent some time touring the city with a local friend (thanks Susie). Met a number of budding college entrepreneurs. My sense is that the music industry is going to see a huge influx of DIY entrants eager to enter an industry that has become much more accessible to the new participant. Should be great for innovation. Sorry we had to move from the Pizza Shoppe Collective – just had way too big an audience by the time the date rolled around.
A hearty thanks to all the local journalists who showed up and helped spread the word about the events. Appreciate your many supportive articles before and after the visit.

Some really interesting suggestions/requests from the two meetings:

A “put that song to sleep” feature that would get successively longer rather than starting at a month.

Voice commands on smartphone apps (interesting idea for in-car use).
Feature parity across all smartphones. Smartphone users clearly want a full-featured version on all phones. I continue to be amazed by how many people are now using smartphones as their primary way to listen.

More and more people are asking about being able to integrate their personal collection with Pandora. Perhaps allowing some on-demand listening through that (tricky from a licensing perspective).

Ability to buy Pandora One on a month to month basis.

Access to an open API for developers so they can start inventing new apps with data from the Music Genome Project. There’s a steady drumbeat for this. Again, tricky from a licensing standpoint given all the constraints on the copyrighted material we stream.

Back home to Oakland, with many, many fond memories.

Tim (Founder)

Comments

1. Patrick Immel
    November 12, 2010 at 8:59am
    Thanks for listening to users! PARITY ACROSS SMARTPHONE...yes please! Unfortunately now I am using "Sl**ker radio" as it has a functioning, supported app for windows mobile 6.5. Give me something that works and I'll be back (and paying) in a second. I haven't touched my ipod in months...everything goes through the phone...even in the car, plugged through the stereo! Thanks again.
  2. Steve
    November 12, 2010 at 5:31pm
    Tim, I absolutely am turned off by the audio commercials. It doesn't make me want to upgrade to Pandora One but look at alternatives. I don't mind visual commercials and even look at them, as I want the video experience with the music... As a high-tech marketer myself I think that this is the wrong approach. Adding and selling value for Pandora One is the way to go.
  3. Tana Shmaefsky
    November 14, 2010 at 4:52pm
    I am a new listener, and I am just delighted with such great selection of music
  4. Anthony
    November 14, 2010 at 8:54pm
    Hey Tim and the Pandora crew.....thanx for an exciting media experience! Through Pandora, i've discovered hundereds of new artists to enjoy and a few new genres as well. As an end user, i'd like to make a suggestion if i may. You've probobly heard this before, but it would be nice to have an iPhone/iTouch control app as well to be able to remotely control the Pandora application. I currently stream my media throughout my home and yard using iTunes with the Remote app for control from room to room. The ability to change stations or create new ones on the fly would free the Pandora experience from my desktop and allow the same freedom to listen to new music at my PC instead of selecting from the collection i already own. Airfoil software is already available for streaming for Airport users, but a stand alone Internet radio streamer would also be a powerful tool. How's about a Pandora's Box? I'm sure that's crossed the marketing desk a few times! Thanx for the opportunity to share.
  5. Cary Clark
    November 16, 2010 at 12:18pm
    As far as API for developers. Isn't the big hurdle there giving the average developer access to stream music? But what about just giving access to the wealth of information about the music in the Genome project? I think that would be also incredibly interesting and useful. A developer could then write an app that could take a users playlist of personal music and create a Pandora channel off of what they already like. Band websites could have a Pandora style widget that could show similar artists/albums/music to what they play.
  6. Monty
    November 17, 2010 at 11:58am
    While I'm an avid listener of Pandora, using the Pandora One app, I'd like to see two improvements... one being a rating scale rather than thumbs up/down on songs, and the other... well, it is basically a comment that can be turned into an improvement... it appears certain artists give Pandora a 'break' on the royalties/licensing, as their songs get played most frequently, even with thumbs down on most of their titles... coldplay specifically, others not so much, that their songs take a lot precedence... seems counter-intuitive to the rating systems...
  7. Brittney Taylor
    November 17, 2010 at 12:17pm
    Hi, I'm britney, and there is no way to give Pandora feedback, so i'm posting it in this comment. It would be really nice if you guys added a neutral button in case someone decides they don't want to have something liked anymore, but don't want to dislike it.
  8. Madison
    November 17, 2010 at 1:54pm
    some other ideas: - similar songs by lyrics, - search songs by type/mood/content of lyrics (rather ambiguous, im sure) - remove like/dislike during playback, not in the station settings - ability to dislike live/concert recordings while keeping similar songs in the station
  9. darren
    November 17, 2010 at 10:28pm
    to be honest... I love pandora it's the bomb.. These people are fershure going to heaven for makin this!
  10. Carol
    November 21, 2010 at 1:03pm
    Hi, My husband had what I thought was a great idea. He suggested the 'thumbs up' feature be successive - that is, the more often you hit it, the more often the song would play. Anyway, just a thought. Thanks - nice that you're so accessible. And, that despite 48 million users, there are only 4 comments to this post before mine. :)Carol