Music Millenium.jpgI’m very excited to announce our trip next week to our friendly neighbors to the North. I’ll be heading up to Portland, Oregon for a couple days of musical exploration and conversation – March 6th & 7th, 2006. The main event of the trip is a ‘town hall’ get together at Music Millenium (801 NW 23rd Avenue) on Tuesday evening at 6pm to talk radio and digital music. Terry Currier, the longtime owner has generously agreed to host us at this indie music mecca. I’ll be joined by Rick Emerson, a much beloved local radio personality, active blogger, and longtime music industry commentator for a provocative discussion on ‘radio in the digital age.’ Peter Carlin, journalist for the Oregonian, and a thoughtful writer on media will moderate, incite and lead what will hopefully be a lively and informative conversation about the impact of the digital revolution on the modern music industry, with a particular focus on radio.
It should be great discussion. I hope you’ll come by to join the conversation.
We have couple other events planned as well, including a meetup at Mississippi Pizza (3552 N Mississippi Avenue) on Monday evening at 6:30pm. After this I’ll be heading over to Goodfoot Pub then possibly Ash Street Saloon to check out the local talent at their weekly open mics. Company is welcome. The more the merrier.
Last time I headed up I5, there were six of us packed in a van with the PA system and more music equipment that we should have been able to fit. This time I’m heading out with a laptop, boxes of T-shirts and caps, and empty bags that I hope to fill with a wonderful and eclectic collection of local recordings. I’m hoping to come away with a better understanding of the local music scene, and with armfuls of great new music for our musician analysts to sink their teeth into.
If you have any comments or suggestions please share your thoughts below. The musical conversation starts now!
Tim (Founder)

Comments

1. Pati
    November 05, 2006 at 5:35pm
    Stephanie Schneiderman and Courtney Jones are both great. I look forward to you coming back to Portland now that I've discovered Pandora through "Stumble!" It would be great to add our own songs to our stations thought to "help" the computer get a better idea of what we are looking for.
  2. Lare
    January 06, 2007 at 2:09am
    Come on down to Eugene, Oregon and check out our music scene. Lots of great bands and singer/songwriters in the area covering all genres. Some outstanding favorites are: Eleven Eyes - jazz taken to the next level Mood Area 52 - original tango music Halie Loren - singer/songwriter extraordinaire
  3. Shandra
    February 04, 2007 at 1:44pm
    Next time you come this way, be sure to check out Leigh Marble!! http://www.laughing-stock.org/leigh.html Great live, great music!
  4. don
    February 22, 2007 at 2:09pm
    Great site. As for hot Oregon bands, check out Amadan (www.amadanusa.com)
  5. Angie
    March 16, 2007 at 9:59pm
    This is a very cool site!!!
  6. rob steinkamp
    March 19, 2007 at 12:12pm
    Not sure if you've heard of it yet or not, but if you get a chance to swing by the Doug Fir lounge, it is an excellent spot to meet/see/hear new artists in the portland scene.
  7. Dustin
    April 24, 2007 at 7:20am
    You can find a lot of old demos of good underground oregon bands on this online record label for free! www.tinglefinger.com some bands include, Cark, The Vam Commanders. 5th Business and Smidgen releases are coming soon. Dustin
  8. Mark Simonson
    May 12, 2007 at 10:32pm
    I thank you so much for Pandora. I listen to it everyday and have never been disappointed. I am a 49 year old mechanic who dabbles on the drums. more like murders them, LOL. Pandora is my music savior. Thank you very much for your time and effort.
  9. Sid Lewis
    November 04, 2007 at 5:39pm
    Dear Tim, Uncle Sidney and Aunt Sharon want to finally tell you how we love this fab Pandora! Hoping you call when you are in Portland, the city we love. Love, Sidney and Sharon
  10. steven andresen
    November 17, 2007 at 5:56pm
    Hi Tim, I've been busy and unable to check out the places you've traveled. And, you were in my town, Portland, this past summer. I have tried on my blog to present salsa and cuban music in one mix and as purely Flamenco as I can on a different mix. I've found a few CD's and groups related to the Flamenco. But, your offerings are limited. I have looked up your genre lists. No mention of Flamenco. I have to say there's only a small group of us interested in this southern Spanish gypsy music here in Portland. There's singers, dancers, mucisions, and pretty soon, we hope to have some kind of presence on a radio, or streaming station. I've noticed you aren't available outside of the U.S. Plus, you don't have any international offerings, except to the south of us. I'd like more genre offerings in European...Flamenco,...but also french, middle eastern, greek, japanese, chinese, indian, and african, all of which have exciting musicians and music forms. Please , please, please, go there and bring us back some stuff from those places for us here in Portland.