Music Millenium.jpgI’m very excited to announce our trip next week to our friendly neighbors to the North. I’ll be heading up to Portland, Oregon for a couple days of musical exploration and conversation – March 6th & 7th, 2006. The main event of the trip is a ‘town hall’ get together at Music Millenium (801 NW 23rd Avenue) on Tuesday evening at 6pm to talk radio and digital music. Terry Currier, the longtime owner has generously agreed to host us at this indie music mecca. I’ll be joined by Rick Emerson, a much beloved local radio personality, active blogger, and longtime music industry commentator for a provocative discussion on ‘radio in the digital age.’ Peter Carlin, journalist for the Oregonian, and a thoughtful writer on media will moderate, incite and lead what will hopefully be a lively and informative conversation about the impact of the digital revolution on the modern music industry, with a particular focus on radio.
It should be great discussion. I hope you’ll come by to join the conversation.
We have couple other events planned as well, including a meetup at Mississippi Pizza (3552 N Mississippi Avenue) on Monday evening at 6:30pm. After this I’ll be heading over to Goodfoot Pub then possibly Ash Street Saloon to check out the local talent at their weekly open mics. Company is welcome. The more the merrier.
Last time I headed up I5, there were six of us packed in a van with the PA system and more music equipment that we should have been able to fit. This time I’m heading out with a laptop, boxes of T-shirts and caps, and empty bags that I hope to fill with a wonderful and eclectic collection of local recordings. I’m hoping to come away with a better understanding of the local music scene, and with armfuls of great new music for our musician analysts to sink their teeth into.
If you have any comments or suggestions please share your thoughts below. The musical conversation starts now!
Tim (Founder)

Comments

1. Susan
    July 30, 2006 at 7:37pm
    You should check out Curtis Salgado. He's a local artist and is awesome in concert.
  2. Dana Spencer
    August 07, 2006 at 11:21am
    I absolutely love this site! I have found a favorite after years of looking for good internet music programing (my Alm Mater's WUVT where I was a Jazz DJ in the mid-90's will remain my number one). The interface is simple and easy (although I would love to be able to advance and rewind tracks and go off on individual band tangents (is there an opportunity to have "tagent stations"?). I come away from a session with your site wanting piles of albums/CDs. It has turned me on to tons of stuff I always knew I wanted but didn't know existed. I hope you guys really research and aquire new music based on user's unavailable requests and this site just gets bigger and better, as your Flash piece indicates. Please get bigger and better!! I have suggested your site to countless people over the past few days, since discovering your cube. A big hit all around.
  3. JOWEE
    August 15, 2006 at 3:45pm
    Here are some great oregon underground bands. 1. The Vam Commanders-Ashland, Or.they broke up in 2002 but they rock the house for some gangskapunkmetalpolkafunk! 2. Cark!-Portland, Or.The guitar player and the drummer from the Vam Commanders are in this band currently. They call their genre "Cark". It's confusion rock at its finest. 3. The Fifth Business-Ashland, Or. another great ska band from ashland. but its hard to find their CD. 4. Sideshow Bob-Ashland, Or. Psycodelic metal. sounds like neurosis. Killer band.
  4. susan
    August 15, 2006 at 6:46pm
    Check out this guy. He played at Ash St and Dante's this summer. David Lunday is the most talented artist to come along in a long while. He has recorded one full album and is working on his second, Lady Industry. You can hear some cuts at DavidLunday.com He is still unsigned, but if you can help him with some contacts, that would be great. He wrote all the songs, played all the instruments and sang, but his lightening quick guitar playing is what wowed the crowd at Dante's and Ash St.
  5. Claudia
    September 07, 2006 at 10:01pm
    P.E.S. ( great electronic music ) Eugene - OR
  6. Claudia
    September 11, 2006 at 4:46pm
    http://www.myspace.com/proyectoesculturasonicas Great elektronik musik
  7. Heather
    September 23, 2006 at 12:00pm
    Check out this sweetly original rock band in Portland! These guys have something going on that nees to be told. Also: Here is a playlist maker that allows up to 6 songs of your favorite music to share with your friends on a page such as Myspace. You can see my Hotlist playlist in my Interests section on my page: http://www.myspace.com/58338714 At the bottom of it is a mouse over where you can copy my code or go to HotList and create a free account and then you can have your own 6-song playlist. One of my newly favorite bands on my playlist is TV on the Radio. They are sexy sweet.
  8. Elliot
    September 25, 2006 at 1:15pm
    Don't know when you might be back in the Northwest,but you should check out Eugene when you are here. We moved here a couple of years ago, and I can't believe the local music scene. It's not that big a city but there are more clubs than you can shake a stick at, Joe Federigo's, the WOW Hall, etc. etc. Lots of visiting groups, but a bunch of local talent too.
  9. Conan Troutman
    September 27, 2006 at 5:42pm
    Ditchliqour is good, they have a CD. They are from portland
  10. Judy
    November 02, 2006 at 7:44pm
    I would love for y'all to stop by Savannah, GA! We have a great folk music society, plus several universities and colleges, not to mention the Savannah Folk Music Festival, which occurs in October each year, and the Savannah Music Festival, offering a much wider variety of artists and venues. Come on DOWN!!