Music Millenium.jpgI’m very excited to announce our trip next week to our friendly neighbors to the North. I’ll be heading up to Portland, Oregon for a couple days of musical exploration and conversation – March 6th & 7th, 2006. The main event of the trip is a ‘town hall’ get together at Music Millenium (801 NW 23rd Avenue) on Tuesday evening at 6pm to talk radio and digital music. Terry Currier, the longtime owner has generously agreed to host us at this indie music mecca. I’ll be joined by Rick Emerson, a much beloved local radio personality, active blogger, and longtime music industry commentator for a provocative discussion on ‘radio in the digital age.’ Peter Carlin, journalist for the Oregonian, and a thoughtful writer on media will moderate, incite and lead what will hopefully be a lively and informative conversation about the impact of the digital revolution on the modern music industry, with a particular focus on radio.
It should be great discussion. I hope you’ll come by to join the conversation.
We have couple other events planned as well, including a meetup at Mississippi Pizza (3552 N Mississippi Avenue) on Monday evening at 6:30pm. After this I’ll be heading over to Goodfoot Pub then possibly Ash Street Saloon to check out the local talent at their weekly open mics. Company is welcome. The more the merrier.
Last time I headed up I5, there were six of us packed in a van with the PA system and more music equipment that we should have been able to fit. This time I’m heading out with a laptop, boxes of T-shirts and caps, and empty bags that I hope to fill with a wonderful and eclectic collection of local recordings. I’m hoping to come away with a better understanding of the local music scene, and with armfuls of great new music for our musician analysts to sink their teeth into.
If you have any comments or suggestions please share your thoughts below. The musical conversation starts now!
Tim (Founder)

Comments

1. cassidy
    March 01, 2006 at 11:02am
    Portland has too, too many great little bands! Let me at least plug a few friends: look for the Bad Mintons, and/or Bohemian Onslaught. I believe the Bad Mintons have a demo called "Cheaper than a Real Present". It's a must-listen!
  2. Trina
    March 01, 2006 at 7:20pm
    Check out Climber and Careen while you are here. They are amazing. http://www.climberpdx.com/ http://www.careen.net/
  3. Josh Bancroft
    March 01, 2006 at 9:03pm
    Hi Tim! We have a very active podcasting scene here in Portland, with many of them focusing on local music. I've posted news of your visit and invite to our community's site, www.portlandpodcasting.org. Hopefully we can get some interested folks out there to meet and mingle with you! Guys like Tim Germer of Northwest Noise (www.northwestnoise.com) know a ton about local bands and talent. I hope he can make it. Welcome, and have fun in PDX! Let us know if you need anything while you're here. :-)
  4. Kyle
    March 01, 2006 at 11:55pm
    I look forward to your visit. The Pandora site was recommended to me a couple months ago and I really liked the format right away. I recommend it to everyone who is interested in finding new music. Somewhere around the beginning of the digital revolution, I was grabbing mp3's by the hundreds as soon as I heard about Napster. At some point, my conscience caught up with me and I started to steer back to buying CD's. Nowadays, sites like Pandora and the ability to share iTunes playlists at work are a big asset for me. I learn a lot more about what I like before going to the store and making an impulse purchase. Hearing Portland bands on the Internet has also encouraged me to support local artists by buying discs and attending shows. Thanks.
  5. lori callister
    March 02, 2006 at 9:26am
    Check out Little Sue when you're here in Portland.Perfect for your project with several releases
  6. Jon B
    March 02, 2006 at 6:57pm
    "I remember the last time I was in Portland..." 50 bonus points to the first person who can name the song that's from =:-) I miss the PDX music scene something fierce. I'm going back 10 years to the birth of the Dandys, the heyday of Spinanes, and New Bad Things. Maybe I should just call in sick next week and make a road trip. Enjoy the trip, Tim. If you ever need to check out the midwest vibe, come check out GRR... Grand Rapids, MI. We'll show you a good time. Jon B
  7. liz
    March 04, 2006 at 2:51pm
    don't miss ashleigh flynn -- www.ashleighflynn.net
  8. C2
    March 07, 2006 at 9:28am
    Darn! I'm in Portland and only today (3/7) discovered that Pandora is going to be here - and I can't make it. So close! What I love about Pandora most is the quality (fidelity) of the music. If this becomes a subscription service, not sure if I would pay for the randomness - versus say Napster's "my choice" plan. Still - keep up the great work. Love it.
  9. Jane
    March 07, 2006 at 10:41am
    Don't forget to check out matinee: www.matineemusic.com
  10. Tony B.
    March 07, 2006 at 12:18pm
    Damn! Missed you by about 200 miles (Seattle)! Oh well, keep up the good work. Just as a side note, I stopped listening to music about 6 years ago because I was stuck in the 90's alt scene. Thank you for keeping me there and introducing me to other stuff that I finally like!