Man, what a night in NYC. Almost 400 people jammed into the New World Stage theater for a lively conversation.

Tons of great comments and feedback. There was definitely a lot of interest in the advertising side of our business – I guess that’s not surprising in NY – how we thought about it both from an economic standpoint, an advertiser standpoint, and a user standpoint. Lots of folks are interested in the ability to target ads over time -both to make them more relevant, and more valuable.

Pandora has over 80 people working just on that part of our business. It’s really key for us to optimize that in order to keep up with the incredible growth – which just keeps going and going… just crossed 50 million registered listeners!!!

Also spent a good while talking with folks afterwards about various new projects. One thing is clear, there are many entrepreneurs entering the music space now… particularly in the area of artist services. Trying to crack the nut on how to help artists make the web work for them.

There continues to be a great response to our plans (and they are still in the ‘plan’ stage) to bring some more targeted artist info to listeners (eg. local concerts).

Thanks again to all who braved the rain to make it out…

Tim (Founder)

Comments

1. Josh Stoller
    April 01, 2010 at 2:04pm
    Tim, I'm sure it doesn't come as a surprise how much of a fan I am. I have a great deal of advertising background and would love to know about other opportunities to hear compelling debate regarding the digital space, specifically relating to Pandora. Thanks Josh
  2. delliup
    April 01, 2010 at 2:19pm
    I couldn't figure out how or if I could e-mail you so I will say it here. I wanted to listen to "Saturday Morning Cartoons Greatest Hits" but you didn't have anything except Spiderman by the Ramones. This would be awesome to have this music available. Hope it helps and that others also want to hear it too. Its fun music. Thank You delliup
  3. Health Insurance
    April 08, 2010 at 12:29pm
    Yes many business people are looking to advertise on music and artists,feeling good to hear that you had a wonderful night at nyc with best regards Samuel jones Health Insurance
  4. April 11, 2010 at 12:52pm
    You should definitely make it accesible for listeners to access their favorite radio stations if that can be done.
  5. Bill Hamblet
    April 18, 2010 at 10:52pm
    I just downloaded Pandora onto my iPod Touch yesterday, and I've been listening to it all day today. Very cool application. The music sounds wonderful. I think the playlists that your program creates - music genome project? - are better than Apple's Genius program. I'm a fan. Thanks so much.
  6. str8aheadjazz
    April 19, 2010 at 9:04pm
    Hi Tim, Don't know if there has already been a THM Los Angeles but figured I could add some ideas here... I've not yet made the switch to Pandora One Desktop but I believe it could become both a wildly popular and socially interactive platform - essentially taking on a life of it's own. (ie Facebook, Wikipedia) These are my thoughts for the Pandora One Desktop: Community Live Tab: WikiTab - Link(s) to a Wikimedia page(s) where the Pandora community could contribute lyrics, community glossary of terms, reviews, artist info, and events. I believe this will generate an incredible surge in community ownership/involvement, and by tying into Wiki's existing public repository, where much of the above information currently exists, it would save Pandora outside vendor costs (eg lyric providers) and simple data storage/replication. Member Assigned Attributes - This would be a tab that would show a community weighted top-down list of linked attributes and would be housed/updated in the WikiMedia data repository. The contributor would add their attributes to individual songs from the WikiMedia page and would become a useful search tool for like attributed songs. For the Pandora music experts it could act as a living document to aid in their back-end categorization process. Granular Controls: Length of Time - Allowing the individual to set a station with Max-Song-Length would provide the capability to use Pandora for social dances where they may have the correct genre but can't stay on the floor for 9-10 minutes in the case of some swing/jazz songs. Randomization Mixer Controls: - Randomize giving control to the community member's station of a greater/lesser mix between new tunes they've never heard and those they've already rated. - Randomize giving control to the community member of a greater/lesser mix between songs they've rated and a friend(s) ratings with respect to the same songs within that station/genre. Sorry this was intended to be a quick note but turned into another night of OCD outta control... ;) BTW I love Pandora... Thanks for the music!
  7. Ryan
    April 21, 2010 at 8:21am
    Maybe you could incorporate advertising based on things that are more relevant to the users current station. That way I don't have to hear John Mayer ads every 6 songs when I would obviously never (ever) go to a concert of his.
  8. John Walker
    April 21, 2010 at 5:16pm
    I don’t usually comment or write in threads. I am this time because I have signed up for Pandora today and after making 5 personal radio stations from blues to jazz to classical to Jeff beck I am totally impressed. What you have done is what I have wanted to do for years. That is play music of a certain type that I want to listen to at the time I want to listen to it. I can’t even do this to the level you do with my own music collection. Your approach to music and how it sounds and feels is not new. Each music owner has taken long hours to setup playlists for parties, private listening, or long drives. What a pain that has been at times. Then there is always the, “I wish I had such and such a song because it would be perfect for my collection.” Now if I hear a song I want I can buy it or the album. Thank you for your work and bringing a team together that has actually created something that really is worth using. John Walker
  9. roberta
    April 21, 2010 at 10:35pm
    My apologies! I stand corrected. I checked FourPlay's website, and Lee Ritenour is indeed also a member! I should have known this, as it's an awesome force with which to be reckoned! Again, thanks for your contributions to featuring musical genius. r
  10. rommie
    April 22, 2010 at 2:21am
    Your great creation of pandora is so awesome, an everlasting untiring listening, great rock combination, better than apple's itune or the safari

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )