Left Gibson’s and headed over to meet the folks at Grimey’s – a happenin’ indie record store. Mike Grimey and Doyle Davis are clear music fanatics. They had a downstairs club to boot.
Was really heartened to hear that their sales are growing rapidly. My new theory about music retail is that it’s the real music-centric indie stores that are going to start thriving in the new digital age. As digital tech skims off more and more of the mass audience that are the primary buyers of music in big box stores, success in retail is going to come more and more to those who really emphasize service and value for shoppers, to draw music fans that still long for that experience. People who like walking through narrow aisles stuff with music.. surrounded by music obsessed shop clerks eager to help out…
Grimeys2.jpg

Grimeys.jpg
Had a nice lunch and chat, scooped up a bunch of CDs and headed out to the evening meetup at Cabanas.
Great dinner meetup. lively conversation and great food with great group of local music lovers.
Cabanameetup.jpg
You definitely get the sense in Nashville that the love of music runs deep. At the meetup I met a number of folks who had moved to Nashville because they were music fans, not because they had a particular job in mind.
First stop for the evening, the aforementioend Bluebird Cafe where they don’t even let people walk in during a song. Love it!
BlueBird.jpg
Watched a nice long set from a three piece acoustic group then club hopped the evening; the Basement, the End, and more…
Nashvilleshow.jpg

Comments

1. stephen
    July 27, 2006 at 1:31pm
    A few additional venues for excellent music in Nashville: Mercy Lounge, Exit Inn, Robert's Western World, and, of course, the Ryman Auditorium. No shortage of great music in this town (and it's not all country.) Plenty of jazz, blues, and rock.
  2. Alice
    July 28, 2006 at 5:35am
    David Schnaufer and Stephen Seifert, the famous mountain dulcimer players, live in and/or around Nashville. You should check out their music! Those guys are GREAT!
  3. Connie
    August 14, 2006 at 2:54pm
    I just learned of your site yesterday and signed up. I like the music and being able to choose my preferences, but ever since I signed up I have been receiving lots of SPAM. What's up with this? I don't like that AT ALL and was of the understanding that e-mail addresses were not to be shared.
  4. Bob Barnes
    August 14, 2006 at 4:26pm
    Hi, Guys, I am a recent "joinee," and thoroughly enjoy your free service. I am a Barbershop Harmony buff and wonder if you have any such in your repertoire. If so, where is it? Thanks again for providing the music. Bob
  5. Jodi Miller
    September 06, 2006 at 9:54am
    Isn't Grimeys great? Love the Basement cuz it's no smoking! I've input Swan Dive and got no response. They are "big in Japan" but record in Nashville and have many (6?) albums. Check them out cuz they are wonderful and could be analyzed for the Genome.
  6. Uncle Gropey
    September 07, 2006 at 5:25pm
    I want to do this instead of my job. Why can't I be you?
  7. Jess
    October 12, 2006 at 8:44am
    Hey Tim! I work at a very cool local bar in Knoxville, TN. If you are looking for local talent, we are the place to be! We have live music everynight. We have all kinds of music, from blues, bluegrass, jam bands and even irish punk bands. Every band is a local singer/ songwriter. Check out the website at preservationpub.com!! If you're ever back in Tennessee, come check us out!
  8. Yolana Birkenstock (so not a real name)
    October 17, 2006 at 3:31pm
    So I have to give you major props on your site. I've told everyone I know about it, and a lot of people are really into it as well now. Next time you come to Nashville you have to go to Great Escape. Its a record store that carries used records, videogames, magazines, movies, posters, and c.d's. The atmosphere is awesome, and you can pretty much find any record you're looking for. Plus its so cheap which is nice for all of us poor students.
  9. Matthew
    November 08, 2006 at 9:55pm
    I really love this music program!I have told all my peoples bout one of A KIND SERVICE.PEACE AN PROSPARIETY TO YA!
  10. Shane
    December 10, 2006 at 5:32pm
    any timi yuro out there?

Reply to perri lowe Cancel Reply