Left Gibson’s and headed over to meet the folks at Grimey’s – a happenin’ indie record store. Mike Grimey and Doyle Davis are clear music fanatics. They had a downstairs club to boot.
Was really heartened to hear that their sales are growing rapidly. My new theory about music retail is that it’s the real music-centric indie stores that are going to start thriving in the new digital age. As digital tech skims off more and more of the mass audience that are the primary buyers of music in big box stores, success in retail is going to come more and more to those who really emphasize service and value for shoppers, to draw music fans that still long for that experience. People who like walking through narrow aisles stuff with music.. surrounded by music obsessed shop clerks eager to help out…
Grimeys2.jpg

Grimeys.jpg
Had a nice lunch and chat, scooped up a bunch of CDs and headed out to the evening meetup at Cabanas.
Great dinner meetup. lively conversation and great food with great group of local music lovers.
Cabanameetup.jpg
You definitely get the sense in Nashville that the love of music runs deep. At the meetup I met a number of folks who had moved to Nashville because they were music fans, not because they had a particular job in mind.
First stop for the evening, the aforementioend Bluebird Cafe where they don’t even let people walk in during a song. Love it!
BlueBird.jpg
Watched a nice long set from a three piece acoustic group then club hopped the evening; the Basement, the End, and more…
Nashvilleshow.jpg

Comments

1. Deane E. Chappel
    May 16, 2006 at 8:38am
    I happened a crossed this sight and really liked it and have referred it to a lot of my freinds and bussiness colleuges. I have this sight on when ever I am in the shop working and all my crew loves being able to listen to thier choice in music. I have notice it keeps the busier than ever. I just would like to say thank you for the hard work you all have done!
  2. Brayden
    May 16, 2006 at 9:16am
    Have you guys ever thought about making podcasts for on the go use of Pandora. Like.. eneter a list of music we like, and Pandora creates the standard playlist of songs we might like. and voila an hour long podcast. I didn't know where else to post this idea. Sorry. E-mail me back! -Brayden
  3. Ken
    May 16, 2006 at 11:26am
    Again, I need to get to Naxhville. I'm so jealous. Ken
  4. Scott D
    May 16, 2006 at 2:34pm
    I am from nashville, and recently moved to NYc and you have named some of the places that made that city great its not just a city for musicians but rather a breading ground for people that really appreciate all realms of music. Grimeys has alwyas been the greatest and will remain the music gem of the south. And if you ever get the chance visit the Ryman best music venue in the country. you guy sare dign great things with this site and wish you the best of luck with its future.
  5. Benjie
    May 16, 2006 at 3:26pm
    Hey there. I just wanted to encourage you to stop in LITTLE ROCK, Arkansas at some point. There are some fantastic musicians there...truly. I have some numbers, names, places to stay if you are interested. Email me for more info. Here are two quick tidbits: Christopher Denny and the Old Soles will be playing on the 20th of May. Check out www.tomatohouserecords.com too.
  6. Mike
    May 17, 2006 at 12:55pm
    Hey, I tried to enter Yo Yo-Ma and Zoe Keating and got nothing when trying to create a radio station. I understand my tastes are a little out there, but are they going to be integrated soon into Pandora?
  7. David
    May 17, 2006 at 5:27pm
    Mike, I got Yo Yo Ma a month ago on one of my stations - try a few different spellings.
  8. Lucia @ Pandora
    May 17, 2006 at 5:29pm
    Thanks for the comments on classical music. The Music Genome Project doesn't actually contain classical music at this time (except for a few holiday songs that we added last fall). It will require analyzing the music differently than we currently do. We're developing a music genome for this purpose and then we'll have to populate it with enough music to create a satisfying listening experience. I can tell you there is a lot of enthusiasm within the company to offer classical music to our users - this is a large undertaking but it will be well worth the wait!
  9. Mary Anne Tom
    May 19, 2006 at 3:01pm
    If you haven't been to Crooked Beat, the indie record shop here in DC, you should check it out next time you're here. They do in-stores, and the guys that run that place are way cool. They have a "local band" section (where I was ecstatic to find Siddal's "Pedestal," bec. I lost my other copy a while ago. A lot of Dischord stuff and photos, of course.
  10. Chad
    June 21, 2006 at 6:28am
    Stop by Chattanooga the next time you're in TN - great music can be found here!

Reply to David Cancel Reply