I’m still planning my itinerary for Georgia. I know Athens is a can’t-miss and Atlanta is of course a music mecca. Please leave any comments or suggestions below.

Comments

1. kevin latham
    March 29, 2006 at 9:52am
    Tim, There is alot going on in the ATL but you gotta dig a little bit. Along worth the well known spots (The Wuxtry, Criminal, and Wax and Facts). You gotta check out Darryl at The Bazaar in Little Five Points. He specializes in international dance music, house music, the correct hip hop and all things soulful. Check him out at moodsmusic.net. Peace, Kevin Latham (dj kinetiq) PS - While you're at Moods Music pick up a Afromentals mixtape by DJ Jamad. Atlanta's most soulful, progressive and forward thinking DJ. All of his mizes are absolute Gems. Also check out the Red Clay Experiment series. All of this stuff is great.
  2. eddie cleveland
    March 29, 2006 at 2:05pm
    At some point travelling through the South, you might run across the new configuration of Blueground Undergrass. Check 'em out...they're smokin' and well worth it wherever the venue, usually Smith's or Variety Playhouse in Atlanta.
  3. Bill Craig
    March 29, 2006 at 6:45pm
    I don't know if I can meet you, but I just wanted you to know that I love the site, and I read about you on the Straight Dope Message Board. I wish you much success in this endeavor. Thanks Bill
  4. Tim Westergren
    March 29, 2006 at 8:23pm
    Kevin = I'm all about digging! thanks. What's the URL for the straight dope message board, Bill?
  5. Frank
    March 30, 2006 at 7:16am
    In Atlanta/Athens check to see if The Whigs are performing anywhere. They are also touring around the Southeast with limited forays into nyc area, and played at SXSW for the second year. They've been written up in Fader and Rolling Stone, so you may know about them already if you've been researching. But I've seen them twice in NY and recommend them.
  6. Chip Lay
    March 30, 2006 at 11:22am
    I am currently playing in the band Poolstick, a local Atlanta and that has been playing around the southeast. Depending on when your intown, try and catch one of our shows in in Atlanta, Athens or elsewhere if your near by. www.poolstickmusic.com or www.myspace.com/poolstick Thanks for your interest in new music!
  7. Samantha
    April 01, 2006 at 8:11am
    I did a bit of digging - the Straight Dope message board and the specific thread referenced is here: http://tinyurl.com/gx3mb I agree with checking out Eyedrum and Tasty World, and the record store suggestions (particularly the Wuxtry, Criminal, and Wax 'n Facts) are solid. I might also recommend, though, maybe talking to one of our local college stations -- Album 88 (wras.org) has an enormous transmitter and is pretty well run for being a university's training program. It's volunteer-run, so it may take a bit of time to talk to someone who *really* knows what's up, but I'm positive they'd appreciate calls or questions (particularly after 5pm on weekdays, and all the time on weekends, when there are specialty shows -- you'll get a DJ who's *really* into their genre and can probably make fantastic recommendations) from you if you explain the program to them. Good luck on the trip!
  8. Dain
    April 01, 2006 at 8:42am
    At the moment I am in a band called Founders Hill, we are originally from Florida, but were going to be playing around Atlanta this summer. We have kind of a Classic Rock/Pop Punk sound. Well you can check us out at Myspace.com/Foundershill. Thanks.
  9. Arlo Banks
    April 01, 2006 at 11:21am
    When you come to Atlanta be sure to go down to Little Five Points and go to Wax n Facts, Criminal Records, and be sure to also visit The Somber Reptile. All three are a necessary stop! Have fun when you roll through the ATL!
  10. Ljova
    April 02, 2006 at 5:22pm
    Hi Tim, check out my friend Misha Stefanuk, a wonderful pianist + composer who lives in Atlanta. He's written music for Film and TV, and has written numerous bestselling books about Jazz Piano. His website is http://www.Stefanuk.com I'll be visiting Misha Apr 15-16. Best, Ljova violist, film composer, arranger www.Ljova.com

Reply to Bill Nathan Cancel Reply