Memorable day in Boston, capped off with a terrific MIT meetup.
MITAud1LowRes.jpg
Spent the morning touring the Berklee College of music – amazing facility. State of the art everything. Kids everywhere with guitars, saxophones, drumsticks… was waiting for everyone to suddenly break out into some big choreographed number… “fame?”

BerkleeClass.jpg
Pretty stunning city this time of year. Rowers on the Charles River.
CharlesRiverRowers.jpg
Full range of disciplines – performance, composition, business & technology. Thanks to David for the very informative tour – much appreciated.
BerkleeDave.jpg
Also had the honor of meeting Kurzweil’s second employee… responsible for the world’s greatest digital emulation of an acoustic piano sound.
BerkleeExt.jpg
Stopped in at Looney Tunes, a throwback record store just down the street from Berklee. 20 feet high stacks of cardboard boxes full of vinyl… Interesting to know that while large music retailers are struggling, the indie stores have been doing just fine. The clerk’s eyes lit up when I asked him for his recommendations of great local bands… didn’t take long to fill a bag up for me.
LooneyTunes.jpg
Then headed over for a great afternoon gathering at the Harvard Business School – entrepreneur group and media/entertainment group. Quite a little utopia they’ve got going there.
MIT was off the hook! Thanks again to Daniel for being such a welcoming and helpful host – always great to have someone who’s game to go way above and beyond the call of duty (Daniel… how does Ohio and Michigan sound next week? All expenses paid). Well over 200 people showed up for an almost 3 hour music discussion marathon at one of the cavernous lecture halls… not hard to picture Richard Feynman up there. The chalk board was even full of fresh scribbling of some esoteric mathematical formula…
MITAud2.jpg
College kids, professors, musicians and Bostonites. Completely cleaned out our hats and shirts! Not surprisingly there was a lot of talk about third party software development. Tools built off the Pandora backbone. Tricky one for us because we need to be able to place ads on other versions of the service.
MITShirts.jpg
I’m definitely sensing from these many audiences a sense of anticipation that things are changing – that the music biz will look very different in a few years.
Thanks to the attendee who volunteered a show ‘n’ tell of his latest high end Slim Devices box.
MITBlackBoard.jpg
Hit the road for Providence, RI…

Comments

1. Michelle
    October 13, 2006 at 4:39am
    I see that you have not planned to hit Minnesota. I think this is a mistake. You should hit Minneapolis at least. Not only do you have the huge University of Minnesota locate in N.E. Minneapolis, but located downtown Minneapolis is the Minneapolis College or MCTC. MCTC has a very diverse group of students who speak more than 100 languages alone. I think that you could really get a diverse group of opinions by visiting MCTC.
  2. Leah
    October 13, 2006 at 8:00pm
    I agree with Dixon in that you should consider Minnesota. I don't know how many fans you have up here in Minnesota to make a trip worthwhile - but I am certainly am one. There are also a lot of great local artists here... I've told everyone about you guys! This is by far and away the coolest thing ever. To actually put science behind the music is genius! Then use it to create this amazing site for all to share! Kudos!!! I really like the Quick Mix. Thanks!!!
  3. Victor Puentes
    October 30, 2006 at 10:27am
    Hey Man, I just learned about Pandora recently and I'm absolutely amazed. I wish I could have learned about it sooner so that I could have met you when you came to my school. Berklee is a very interesting school isn't it? I've been going to Berklee for 7 semesters now and I also have a work study job with the Berklee online Music School. I recently interviewed my boss David Krusek for a class project and learned that he was a founder of a company called the digital Cowboys which was the internets' first, if not the first Online Music Downloading websites. After I picked his brain about his experience, I have been very interested in the subject and the buisness aspects of Music on the Internet. I'm finishing up my last year here and I'm considering moving back to my home town of San Francisco, if you come back to boston again in the near future, it would be cool to meet you or at least know where you would be speaking or or giving a clinic. Maybe you could give a clinic at Berklee, if you ever wanted to?
  4. Jacqui
    October 31, 2006 at 2:33pm
    I think it would great if you all had a service in which bookmarked songs could be burned into cds.
  5. Kate
    November 16, 2006 at 8:32pm
    So, Tim, I've been on Pandora for a few months now, and I gotta say, kudos on the music Genome Project! In the spirit of this project, I really think that you should add this Boston-local "ska" band I've been listening to-- they're called "Interrobang" and they have an EP circling around called "Live Dangerously". It's got a lot of punk influence, and their horns seem to be around mostly for show, but they sound like they're straight out of the early 90's ska trash! Give them a listen to, and see if maybe they could find their way onto the MGP. Best, Kate
  6. Kev
    November 29, 2006 at 9:52am
    Check out 3rd Left, from Plymouth, MA. They're a really great up and coming band, that's breaking out of the South Shore bar scene, opening up for State Radio in May, and definitely worth everyone's ears. 3rdleft.com is their website. Check 'em out. It would be great to see 'em get onto Pandora. KG
  7. fontadoni
    November 30, 2006 at 9:43pm
    Just to congratulate you guys for doing such a great job. Keep it up!
  8. Zack
    January 14, 2007 at 1:00pm
    Aww, I wish I could've been there for one of those discussions, I bet it was a great time! I guess I just wanted to say thanks for what you guys are doing, I think its great and I'm looking forward to the Pandora community growing!!
  9. rudy
    February 04, 2007 at 4:10am
    I,ve never found A website featuring this type of input where you can actually feel apart of it, I hope you continue to move forward and i will always be doing what I,ve been doing and thats making my own music now and until you say we can,t!
  10. gracie javier
    April 13, 2007 at 11:09am
    Hello! I have been listening for only a couple hours now and I am amazed at how wonderful you are, you pick other music like you know me! But I need help in finding a song I know was on an album by REO Speedwagon titled: You can tune a piano but you can't tunafish. It has fantastic piano on it and I can't find it on Youtube or Limewire, I checked in your search in Pandora and came up with nothing. Can you help me hear that cut again? Please?--sincerely Gracie Javier