Memorable day in Boston, capped off with a terrific MIT meetup.
MITAud1LowRes.jpg
Spent the morning touring the Berklee College of music – amazing facility. State of the art everything. Kids everywhere with guitars, saxophones, drumsticks… was waiting for everyone to suddenly break out into some big choreographed number… “fame?”

BerkleeClass.jpg
Pretty stunning city this time of year. Rowers on the Charles River.
CharlesRiverRowers.jpg
Full range of disciplines – performance, composition, business & technology. Thanks to David for the very informative tour – much appreciated.
BerkleeDave.jpg
Also had the honor of meeting Kurzweil’s second employee… responsible for the world’s greatest digital emulation of an acoustic piano sound.
BerkleeExt.jpg
Stopped in at Looney Tunes, a throwback record store just down the street from Berklee. 20 feet high stacks of cardboard boxes full of vinyl… Interesting to know that while large music retailers are struggling, the indie stores have been doing just fine. The clerk’s eyes lit up when I asked him for his recommendations of great local bands… didn’t take long to fill a bag up for me.
LooneyTunes.jpg
Then headed over for a great afternoon gathering at the Harvard Business School – entrepreneur group and media/entertainment group. Quite a little utopia they’ve got going there.
MIT was off the hook! Thanks again to Daniel for being such a welcoming and helpful host – always great to have someone who’s game to go way above and beyond the call of duty (Daniel… how does Ohio and Michigan sound next week? All expenses paid). Well over 200 people showed up for an almost 3 hour music discussion marathon at one of the cavernous lecture halls… not hard to picture Richard Feynman up there. The chalk board was even full of fresh scribbling of some esoteric mathematical formula…
MITAud2.jpg
College kids, professors, musicians and Bostonites. Completely cleaned out our hats and shirts! Not surprisingly there was a lot of talk about third party software development. Tools built off the Pandora backbone. Tricky one for us because we need to be able to place ads on other versions of the service.
MITShirts.jpg
I’m definitely sensing from these many audiences a sense of anticipation that things are changing – that the music biz will look very different in a few years.
Thanks to the attendee who volunteered a show ‘n’ tell of his latest high end Slim Devices box.
MITBlackBoard.jpg
Hit the road for Providence, RI…

Comments

1. Logan
    October 07, 2006 at 1:08pm
    you should come around near eastern nebraska, we've got a bunch of great bands around here looking to get ahead, such as '0 for 7'
  2. Ray
    October 08, 2006 at 12:08pm
    niceeee im from boston been here all my life and goto school at suffolk university (down the street from Berklee.) Boston is amazing I wouldnt move for the world!
  3. Sly
    October 08, 2006 at 1:09pm
    Hello - so much respest for your site. You could have your pockets filled up with respect and you would still be scooping the stuff up from the floor. 10 / 10.
  4. Justin Dohrmann
    October 09, 2006 at 11:49am
    Would that former Kurzweil employee happen to have been Mike Brigida?
  5. Brian
    October 09, 2006 at 1:55pm
    I think it would be great if there was a Widget that could stream the music and give me the same functionality that the in-browser player gives. Or a separate app that I can run on my computer so that I don't have to have the browser open to listen.
  6. Ian
    October 10, 2006 at 11:58am
    I was at the forum last week and was surprised with how balanced the technical questions were with some of the wonderful musical geekery behind the genome. I was skeptical that the discussion would actually raise a lot of new issues re: digital music, but it actually produced a lot of good questions (I've been blogging about some of them - see blog.ianwilsonmusic.com). You're doing a fantastic job, Tim - hope you're hanging in there.
  7. Jane
    October 10, 2006 at 6:11pm
    Pandora is amazing, I listen a lot and buy. Keep it up. I love the Blues. Thanks, Jane
  8. Cata
    October 11, 2006 at 10:43pm
    Hi, I just wanna say THANKS!!! I'm from Chile and I think is amaizing what you do. You even have music from my country! (for me that was a big surprise). :)
  9. Scott Salsman
    October 12, 2006 at 8:58am
    I don't know how you guys do it, but it just gets better the more I use it (since last spring, I think). Such a great product. I love you. There, I said it.
  10. Dixon
    October 12, 2006 at 1:15pm
    What I wouldn't give to hear a Podcast, or any sort of other recording, of that Berklee discussion. Any chance Pandora could make THAT dream come true??