We’re proud to announce that we’ve officially added a new genre to Pandora: Children’s Music!

We’ve hunted down some truly excellent children’s music for our collection, and our Music Analysts have spent months listening to every one of these songs. They’ve categorized the songs along hundreds of musicological traits so playlists are kid-friendly, musically interesting, and combine a great mix of familiar songs and fun new discoveries.

With Pandora’s built-in variety, never again will you have to listen to the same CD on repeat for weeks at a time. Anyone who’s under the impression that most children’s music is cheesy or that there isn’t much out there, is in for a treat.

Brady_Thumbs_UP.JPGSteve Hogan, our Music Operations Manager and co-curator of the stations below, has been listening to these stations with his 4-year-old son Brady. He hands the iPhone over to thumb-happy Brady, who has become quite enthusiastic about crafting his personal radio station. Sometimes he thumbs downs a song after only a few notes, but he’s always decisive. ­čÖé At left, he’s giving a thumbs up to a Raffi song.

If your child has a favorite children’s artist, start a station from that artist’s name. Or, read on to try some of the kid-tested stations Steve and I made for you.

Radio for Kids: Meant for kids 7 and under, this station is fun, educational, and not too baby-ish. For kids who are moving on up from Toddler Radio. Many musical genres are included here, and due to the variety and quality of songs, it’s enjoyable for kids and adults!

Rockin’ Kids Radio: Meant for kids 7 and under. This one is my personal favorite; an energetic station good for dancing, room-cleaning and high-energy play. This station is a winner for kids (and adults!) who love upbeat music. Rock out, kiddos.

Toddler Radio: Meant for kids 4 and under, this station is educational and fun! A variety of toddler-friendly themes and music genres are explored. Look for Sesame Street, Disney, & The Wiggles among others. ­čÖé
forthekids.jpg
Sleepy Time:┬áMeant for kids 5 and under, this station is designed to prepare your tyke for a nap or bedtime (or any time you want to bring the energy level down a notch). It’s full of mellow sounds and sweet lullabies.

Kid’s Folk Music:┬áMeant for kids 7 and under, this station features quality kid-friendly folk music. It’s a pretty mellow station… a nice quiet-time alternative to Rockin’ Kids.

Tween Radio:┬áMeant for ages 8 to adult. This station is appropriate for those too old for children’s music but a bit too young for rock ‘n’ roll’s more adult themes. It includes pop music like Miley Cyrus, the High School Musical cast, The Jonas Brothers, and the cast of Glee.

Personally, I’m thrilled we’ve been able to fulfill this frequent listener request.
And for “aunties” like me, it’s very handy to have all this children’s music right at my fingertips.

Enjoy!

Comments

1. Marshall Fischer
    February 24, 2010 at 9:07am
    I just dont get it. Pandora makes this GOD of a creation, and... somehow... they STILL make it better and better! Pandora's creators and maintainers are my hero ;) just kidding, but seriously, you guys roq!
  2. tam
    February 25, 2010 at 11:01am
    I think this is a great idea. Kids need something to listen to as well. Pandora is great. I love it.
  3. foxybrown
    March 02, 2010 at 8:54pm
    I love pandora,everything about it . it's missing "create and save a playlist and download". Awesome selections and the music goes hand-in-hand with my taste and preference. thanks
  4. V
    March 04, 2010 at 4:26pm
    I'm an elementary music teacher. The educational possibilities of these stations for children is mind boggling! Thanks so much! We just managed to have our firewall lifted to allow streaming audio. I can't wait to build a station for my school kids!
  5. Morgan
    March 05, 2010 at 10:22pm
    While your adding music people would like if you could add the artist Grieves (he's a rapper) that would be fantastic. He is the only artist I haven't been able to find on Pandora and i would greatly appreciate it.
  6. Gina
    March 11, 2010 at 7:15am
    Yeah! I am so excited. I have a 2 yr old who loves music and dancing. I can't wait to try out some of these new stations with her today. We have 3 cds she loves and have listened to them hundreds of times so this will be so nice to hear something new! THANKS!
  7. Tristan L
    March 12, 2010 at 11:53pm
    A suggestion--add replaygain support! Honestly, it's a little frustrating when a song will go from a low volume to a high volume, so that I have to adjust the volume frequently. Especially when I'm trying to sleep. I can't be the only one having this problem... So, please? :)
  8. Liz
    March 13, 2010 at 4:42pm
    Hi there. Awesome idea about adding children's stations. I listen to Pandora almost exclusively now. Love you guys and gals! So anyway - I have a comment - it would be really cool if you could add stations without actually going to them. I.E. sometimes I hear a great song, want to add the band to my station list so I can listen to the genre further - but I'm currently happen with the station I've got on. Currently I can't add a station without going to that station, correct? That would be cool if I could. XOXO Liz
  9. Brother Jimmy’s
    March 15, 2010 at 7:59pm
    This is great for all kids. Now I don't have to worry about carrying CD's in the car!
  10. Lydia Coates
    April 14, 2010 at 9:29am
    Here is suggestion for kid's music (adults will like too) - "26 Animals" by Artichoke. CD includes book with original watercolors by lead singer Tim Sellers. http://artichoketheband.com/ http://www.myspace.com/artichoketheband Enjoy!