We’re proud to announce that we’ve officially added a new genre to Pandora: Children’s Music!

We’ve hunted down some truly excellent children’s music for our collection, and our Music Analysts have spent months listening to every one of these songs. They’ve categorized the songs along hundreds of musicological traits so playlists are kid-friendly, musically interesting, and combine a great mix of familiar songs and fun new discoveries.

With Pandora’s built-in variety, never again will you have to listen to the same CD on repeat for weeks at a time. Anyone who’s under the impression that most children’s music is cheesy or that there isn’t much out there, is in for a treat.

Brady_Thumbs_UP.JPGSteve Hogan, our Music Operations Manager and co-curator of the stations below, has been listening to these stations with his 4-year-old son Brady. He hands the iPhone over to thumb-happy Brady, who has become quite enthusiastic about crafting his personal radio station. Sometimes he thumbs downs a song after only a few notes, but he’s always decisive. ­čÖé At left, he’s giving a thumbs up to a Raffi song.

If your child has a favorite children’s artist, start a station from that artist’s name. Or, read on to try some of the kid-tested stations Steve and I made for you.

Radio for Kids: Meant for kids 7 and under, this station is fun, educational, and not too baby-ish. For kids who are moving on up from Toddler Radio. Many musical genres are included here, and due to the variety and quality of songs, it’s enjoyable for kids and adults!

Rockin’ Kids Radio: Meant for kids 7 and under. This one is my personal favorite; an energetic station good for dancing, room-cleaning and high-energy play. This station is a winner for kids (and adults!) who love upbeat music. Rock out, kiddos.

Toddler Radio: Meant for kids 4 and under, this station is educational and fun! A variety of toddler-friendly themes and music genres are explored. Look for Sesame Street, Disney, & The Wiggles among others. ­čÖé
forthekids.jpg
Sleepy Time:┬áMeant for kids 5 and under, this station is designed to prepare your tyke for a nap or bedtime (or any time you want to bring the energy level down a notch). It’s full of mellow sounds and sweet lullabies.

Kid’s Folk Music:┬áMeant for kids 7 and under, this station features quality kid-friendly folk music. It’s a pretty mellow station… a nice quiet-time alternative to Rockin’ Kids.

Tween Radio:┬áMeant for ages 8 to adult. This station is appropriate for those too old for children’s music but a bit too young for rock ‘n’ roll’s more adult themes. It includes pop music like Miley Cyrus, the High School Musical cast, The Jonas Brothers, and the cast of Glee.

Personally, I’m thrilled we’ve been able to fulfill this frequent listener request.
And for “aunties” like me, it’s very handy to have all this children’s music right at my fingertips.

Enjoy!

Comments

1. Heidi
    February 21, 2010 at 8:22pm
    Pandora is so great for every age, my son loves music as much as I do. I truly wish I could get Pandora in the car the way xm or sirius works. I wonder if there is anything like this in the works? I'd buy it for sure!!
  2. tealeavesgreen
    February 21, 2010 at 11:54pm
    This may not be the place to send this, but I can't find a suggestions page, so, with apologies for inappropriate placement, I would like to make a suggestion. It would make me (and, I assume, a lot of other fans) very happy if there was a way to restrict a station to songs in a particular language. I keep trying to listen to stations seeded on Japanese bands, but I end up with most of the music being in English, which I then have to thumb down. I've had similar trouble with German music, though I listen to that less often. Perhaps it's a problem of there not being enough non-English bands on Pandora? But I'd honestly rather have a repetitive selection in the language I want to listen to, instead of constant intrusions by other languages. Thank you for your attention to this concern, tealeavesgreen
  3. Tom D
    February 22, 2010 at 5:31am
    I am only a recent subscriber to Pandora but am thoroughly impressed. I am a music lover and would love to find out if there are any employment positions that could utilize my talents and interests. I have a degree in Public Relations. Is there such a place to find out?
  4. Vinnie
    February 22, 2010 at 11:25am
    I'm new to Pandora. I don't see a button telling the system I DON'T want to hear certain songs or artists. Is there a provision for that?
  5. Eric
    February 22, 2010 at 2:49pm
    How do i get my own music on pandora radio? do i have to go threw a copyright system or anything?
  6. Fartikan Smea
    February 23, 2010 at 5:03am
    That's a great life-saving genre that only can be realised to its fully strength by working parents who have to struggle with their little monsters like me :) Thank you very much.
  7. Teri
    February 23, 2010 at 5:25am
    Thank you for the kids stations! I'm thrilled to have this option and plan to add some of them to my stations list! Great job!
  8. Ryan, Pandora Support
    February 23, 2010 at 11:35am
    @Eric -- Please check this page on our FAQ for information on our submissions process: https://blog.pandora.com/faq/contents/31.html @Vinnie -- If you click the "thumbs down" button while a song is playing, that song will never play again on the station that is currently playing. @Tom D -- Feel free to check https://blog.pandora.com/jobs/ for current openings.
  9. Jim
    February 23, 2010 at 1:10pm
    Are you going to force the kids to listen to live versions of songs too? All because you are too lazy to classify music as live or studio recorded and include an option to shut off live versions. Love your product, but when I email you about the issue, you tell me the solution is to thumbs down my favorite songs and that you will not ever fix this problem.... im left wondering if you even care about your customers. To be honest if you fix it I'll upgrade to Pandora ONE right now. But you wont, cuz its something your customers care about.
  10. SongsOutlet
    February 23, 2010 at 4:29pm
    where has this been? There is no question music stimulates the young mind and anecdotal evidence is not the only proof...science has tested this too...nice job Pandora