We’re proud to announce that we’ve officially added a new genre to Pandora: Children’s Music!

We’ve hunted down some truly excellent children’s music for our collection, and our Music Analysts have spent months listening to every one of these songs. They’ve categorized the songs along hundreds of musicological traits so playlists are kid-friendly, musically interesting, and combine a great mix of familiar songs and fun new discoveries.

With Pandora’s built-in variety, never again will you have to listen to the same CD on repeat for weeks at a time. Anyone who’s under the impression that most children’s music is cheesy or that there isn’t much out there, is in for a treat.

Brady_Thumbs_UP.JPGSteve Hogan, our Music Operations Manager and co-curator of the stations below, has been listening to these stations with his 4-year-old son Brady. He hands the iPhone over to thumb-happy Brady, who has become quite enthusiastic about crafting his personal radio station. Sometimes he thumbs downs a song after only a few notes, but he’s always decisive. ­čÖé At left, he’s giving a thumbs up to a Raffi song.

If your child has a favorite children’s artist, start a station from that artist’s name. Or, read on to try some of the kid-tested stations Steve and I made for you.

Radio for Kids: Meant for kids 7 and under, this station is fun, educational, and not too baby-ish. For kids who are moving on up from Toddler Radio. Many musical genres are included here, and due to the variety and quality of songs, it’s enjoyable for kids and adults!

Rockin’ Kids Radio: Meant for kids 7 and under. This one is my personal favorite; an energetic station good for dancing, room-cleaning and high-energy play. This station is a winner for kids (and adults!) who love upbeat music. Rock out, kiddos.

Toddler Radio: Meant for kids 4 and under, this station is educational and fun! A variety of toddler-friendly themes and music genres are explored. Look for Sesame Street, Disney, & The Wiggles among others. ­čÖé
forthekids.jpg
Sleepy Time:┬áMeant for kids 5 and under, this station is designed to prepare your tyke for a nap or bedtime (or any time you want to bring the energy level down a notch). It’s full of mellow sounds and sweet lullabies.

Kid’s Folk Music:┬áMeant for kids 7 and under, this station features quality kid-friendly folk music. It’s a pretty mellow station… a nice quiet-time alternative to Rockin’ Kids.

Tween Radio:┬áMeant for ages 8 to adult. This station is appropriate for those too old for children’s music but a bit too young for rock ‘n’ roll’s more adult themes. It includes pop music like Miley Cyrus, the High School Musical cast, The Jonas Brothers, and the cast of Glee.

Personally, I’m thrilled we’ve been able to fulfill this frequent listener request.
And for “aunties” like me, it’s very handy to have all this children’s music right at my fingertips.

Enjoy!

Comments

1. Stefan Lasiewski
    February 02, 2010 at 3:07pm
    Thanks for the new stations. My kids will love it. Myself, I'm working on a station of IDM and mellow electronica for my kids. Boards of Canada, Trentmoeller, Ulrich Schnauss and even a little Plaid, Aphex Twin & David Kristian. I have three small children, and have luck putting them to sleep with many of these songs on a long car ride (And it keeps me alert and awake), or a slow dance while rocking my children to sleep. I call it "IDM songs for your sleepyheaded children'. Check it out--- http://www.pandora.com/stations/4cc4c5f02195eb7a89bb36c5f211489a425ba2910f7abf8b I'm trying really hard to stay with soft songs, mellow beats. The Music Genome Project doesn't always categorize these songs the way I'd like, so it's a bit of a challenge.
  2. Scott
    February 02, 2010 at 3:46pm
    I have been a user for the past 6 months thru my iphone. I recently got my 7 yr old daugter an itouch and she loves to use Pandora. It would be nice if there was a way to restrict songs for her that would be age appropriate. Is it possible to get this added to the mobile app or as a feature to her account? I know managed filters are somewhat a risky endeavor, but at least this could filter out profanity and more "adult" topics that are in so many songs.
  3. Lucia @ Pandora
    February 02, 2010 at 6:36pm
    Stefan - That station is amazing! I'm totally impressed. Do you mind if I share it with others? (On twitter, for instance? http://twitter.com/pandora_radio ) What a great idea, and such a nice compromise for kids / adults. ---------------------- Scott - Yup, you can turn our explicit lyrics filter on (or off) any time, on any account. On the web, after signing in at www.pandora.com, click on 'account' at the top right of the page. On the slide that opens, look for "Allow explicit content" at right, and click on 'edit' to change to 'yes' or 'no.' :) Lucia
  4. Aaron Klenke
    February 04, 2010 at 11:23am
    I've gone through more than a few attempts to make stations for my two daughters. I'll give these a spin while I continue to refine "Daughter music" (http://www.pandora.com/stations/8851347f260c17b8693375fa03ae714267dcb5f5c19f6840). Thanks for these!~
  5. Neck Traction
    February 04, 2010 at 9:46pm
    Amazing! Your ideas are great. It will make my kids happy. They too enjoy their life. Thanks for all your stations you introduced for my kids.
  6. Hubert Miles
    February 05, 2010 at 7:27am
    These are a great addition and my young children love them. My 10 yr old daughter loves the Tween Radio.
  7. Stefan Lasiewski
    February 05, 2010 at 12:32pm
    Lucia, please do. Thank you! I'll keep an eye open and retweet ;)
  8. Kris Roxas
    February 06, 2010 at 12:17am
    I actually know a friend who owns some online radio stations! He's pretty good with web stuff, we could actually be a pretty kick-ass team. Nice music! Kris
  9. mikemost
    February 06, 2010 at 2:27pm
    I think this is great guys. I had done this a few times for my boys and their random musical interests. This one here is for my 2 year old http://www.pandora.com/stations/294be71f3f3a7122a85073012148f0690b45286b2eb7e05b This one has been for my older ones http://www.pandora.com/stations/e71a29d4a9d1684ea72552f08568999ae3c751ee3636d9de
  10. Chris
    February 06, 2010 at 10:32pm
    This is excellent! I didn't even think to look on Pandora for music for my kid.