TN_Newsflash-02

Years ago, my band played a show in Los Angeles. It was a prestigious club and it was big deal for us. As is often the case with these shows, we had to guarantee a certain number of people. We knew it would be tight because we hadn’t played L.A. enough to build a local audience, and our local mailing list (as in “postal” mailing list) was pretty small, but we put the word out to everyone we knew and crossed our fingers.

When the time came for us to go on, the sound man stopped us on our way to the stage. He told us we were just short of the audience guarantee (I think it was 150 people) and the manager was pulling us. It was a humiliating moment. We had driven 400 miles, brought a bunch of fans, and now we were being told we couldn’t play.

GG2A3649That moment captured for me the awful challenge that working musicians face. You lug a truck full of equipment thousands of miles a week, sleep on floors, spend hours rehearsing and setting up, and then you sweat attendance every night. The difference between 100 and 300 people at a show is the difference between a slow death and sustainability.

Today marks the day when that starts to change. That era is over.

Today, we shared the news that we are buying Ticketfly – the country’s largest, most-beloved and fastest-growing independent ticketing and digital marketing platform for live events. Last year they sold over 16 million tickets to more than 90,000 events. We’re combining forces to create the world’s most efficient platform for connecting listeners with live shows from their favorite bands.

It’s the perfect solution for listeners, artists, promoters and club owners, bringing the power of scale and personalization to bear on the working musician’s most intractable problem. 75% of concert tickets are sold to venues with less than 7,000 seats, and that share is growing. But well over $1 billion of tickets go unsold at those events every year. That represents a huge opportunity for artists and we’re going to help them capture it.

We know it works. We’ve demonstrated that using smart, targeted messages, delivered to the right audience, at the right place, with the right music preferences can dramatically impact the attendance at shows.

2handsblueFor listeners this is going to mean a personalized flow of local shows they love, with simple ticketing and no obscene fees. And for artists, it means a huge step towards sustainability. Revenue from live music is the lifeblood of most performers, typically representing 80% of their earnings. We can materially increase that revenue, and just as importantly, put an end to demoralizing shows to half-empty rooms.

Time to turn the page on a very exciting new chapter in music.

Comments

1. Eric Tu
    October 07, 2015 at 6:42pm
    As my experience to be a weekend gigger 20 years ago, one feature should be helpful the musicians (at least for my band - 20 years ago in Taiwan) is to hook the bands with club owners and help the band to book a gig.
  2. Robert Trott
    October 08, 2015 at 11:05am
    I'm optimistic, but.... For Pandora's music genome categorization to work for live music, the "live" artists would have to be categorized, and by extension bands that cannot be found on Pandora will not benefit. I suppose...
  3. molinasaul92@yahoo.com
    October 09, 2015 at 2:37pm
    Love Pandora
  4. Charlene
    October 11, 2015 at 1:34pm
    This isn't related to this post, but I just had a quick question. Does anyone know what is happening to the "comments" option on Pandora? This one person I'm following said that Pandora is deleting comments or something.
    1. PandoraSupport
      October 14, 2015 at 10:56am
      Hi Charlene - Pandora has an option for comments to be flagged/reported. When comments are flagged, they disappear. Also, please note that if you comment on someone else’s profile, they have the ability to delete any comments that appear there. If you have any other questions - email us: pdora.co/writeus -Katie
  5. Rich Decker
    October 13, 2015 at 8:16pm
    Omg Tim you had your own ban. I bet that was to sweet. I sing but of course there's no bands here and no way to get to one. I Gould love to walk out on stage with. 50,000 screaming fans. Just one song wow your an amazing person Tim. Also I just started using Windows 19 so like I went to there app thing an I couldn't find Pandora radio app. I had to goto your website I saw iheartradio which I listened too until I started to read and understand Pandora. I love the way it works. It's like it knows what I want to hear. I'll be 50 on the 21st. I don't feel old I still rock out.all the time. Tv is like a waste. Lol. Just wanted to say thanks Tim!!! Rich Decker Sent from my iPhone >
  6. Pandora Buys Rdio Assets, Talent – Chicago'D
    November 16, 2015 at 5:48pm
    […] “fair” licensing agreements, including one made with Sony/ATV earlier this month, and recently acquired live events platform TicketFly to bolster its product offering. Pandora also announced earlier […]
  7. Charlie Mopps (@CharliMopps)
    January 19, 2016 at 12:15pm
    So can you just alert me when any band I've thumbs-upped is playing in my area? Because this is driving me nuts. I usually find out some band I liked was downtown 2 weeks AFTER the show. There is basically no-where I can just find out when bands I like are playing. The only bands that seem to understand proper promotion are the local cover bands.

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )