In reference to our new genre station Classic Rock Album Tracks

“Classic” doesn’t have to mean listening to the same exact songs for the rest of your life. Hearing Steve Miller Band’s “The Joker” for the trillionth time inspired me to build Pandora’s Classic Rock Album Tracks station. Don’t get me wrong; I really like Steve Miller Band. But when my local classic rock radio station plays that song seven times a day…well, its sonic patina gets moldy.

Vinyl

I’m a dude who was born in the early ‘70s – classic rock was the soundtrack of my youth. I remember Jimmy Page’s fierce guitar riff from “Bring It On Home” cranking from my dad’s Camaro speakers; the magical accompaniment of turning over the engine of my very first car. Today, sadly, my local station thinks that playing the reggae infused “D’yer Maker” constitutes “Getting the Led out.”

KOMEThe station I grew up on, KOME, was considered the very last “freeform” rock formatted station. DJs were given absolute control over what music went on the airwaves, regardless of corporate or commercial interests. Back then; radio stations actually trusted their DJs. And more importantly, so did the station’s listeners. One of my favorite jocks would sometimes play an album in its entirety. Sure, “Tom Sawyer” by Rush is a great song, but do you know what else is great? All six of the other songs comprising 1981’s Moving Pictures!

Screen Shot 2015-09-17 at 10.09.31 AMThe bygone freeform radio of my youth heavily inspired the curation of Classic Rock Album Tracks. I decidedly veered away from predictable, household hits, opting for my personal faves. If today’s young rock ‘n’ rollers solely listened to computer programmed classic rock radio, they’d be prone to believe that “Brown Eyed Girl” was the only song that Van Morrison ever recorded. Since Pandora has actual human beings programming radio stations, you’ll hear some overlooked gems from albums like Astral Weeks and Veedon Fleece. Turn it up and dig all the B-sides, album cuts and songs that should have been hits.

Rock & Americana Curator

I’m a little bit country and I’m a little bit rock ’n’ roll. My first concert was Howard Jones at the Henry J. Kaiser convention center in Oakland. I sing for Hot Lunch and Sweet Chariot. I also enjoy skating pools and riding old choppers.

Comments

1. Leslie Stockton
    September 17, 2015 at 10:18am
    i rarely listen to that generation of music .. my brother did though .. lol hehe .. thank u for sharing Eric :) have a great day ..
  2. Gretchen
    September 17, 2015 at 4:56pm
    Okay, I'm going to try this one!
  3. Charlie
    September 17, 2015 at 6:20pm
    I was a teenager when free form radio was the thing. It's one of the main reasons I learned to love music so much. I was always a fan but free form rock really sealed the deal.
    1. olsc – Organization and Life Safety Concepts
      October 14, 2015 at 6:16am
      Good article Eric - In the DC area we had a great freeform station WHFS 102.3 in Bethesda MD. While they were free form, they were well planned out song-sets featuring song similarities by subject or other attributes like a genre. They featured and promoted performers like John Prine and Bonnie Raitt and groups like Little Feat. They were the first station I recall hearing live performances from their meager studio often with songs an artist would normally play amplified would be played acoustic. There were always plenty of artists in town with DC's The Cellar Door, Blues Alley and numerous college, stage and stadium venues. Good stuff.
  4. Darrell
    Keep calm and Love pandora
  8. Aime morales
    September 21, 2015 at 8:09pm
    Si
  9. Rickey Acker
    September 26, 2015 at 12:48pm
    I love the jazz smoth jazz form Pandora
  10. Steven Green
    September 30, 2015 at 3:57pm
    At home in NYC, it was WNEW-FM and WPLJ. While visiting Miami, WEDR and WSHE, Also WBUS (the magic bus). When I went to college in Philadelphia, WMMR and WYSP. Others were WMMS Cleveland, KSFX San Francisco, KLOS and KMET in LA. They were in every city.

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )