We’ve crossed the ten-year mark at Pandora. It has been a long and winding road, but never have I been more excited about the future. We’re on the cusp of a massive transformation in the way music is discovered and distributed and everything we’ve done has put us in a position to be the force behind that change.

10 Years of Music Discovery

When we analyzed “Dancing Queen” by Abba (the very first song in the Music Genome Project) we had no idea what lay ahead. We were too naïve to realize just how absurd our idea was. It took about 30 minutes to analyze that single track. We listened multiple times to capture every detail of the recording. Close to 200 attributes were notated using pen and paper, then double-checked by a second music analyst before being transcribed into an Excel spreadsheet. Who knew that this intensive, detailed, manual process would become the foundation for personalized radio.

pandora_analysts[2]
Music Analysts circa 2006
But now, looking back, it all makes sense. All that time building the Music Genome Project, manually analyzing one song at a time turned out to be just the right ingredient for an effortless and delightful listening experience. Add to that feedback you have provided – not only your billions of hours of listening, but more than 55 billion thumbs (that’s 8 thumbs for every person on earth), and we have a once in a lifetime chance to do something profound. To fundamentally change the way people enjoy and discover music, and to reinvent the way musicians find an audience and build sustainable careers.

And that is where we’re now turning our attention. There are more than 200,000 artists in Pandora’s catalog. The vast majority of these musicians, a sea of talent and untapped potential, have never had any radio play, and never will. There’s simply no room on ever-narrowing FM playlists. But on Pandora they have a home, and with 80 million music fans listening over 20 hours every month, the opportunity for connection is completely unprecedented. We’re gonna build it, and hand them the keys.

We look forward to creating this bright future with you; unleashing the infinite power of music and realizing for each of you an effortless and delightful connection to the best music available, and for every artist, the career they deserve.

Tune in for the next 10 years and be sure to check out Listener Love Day on Wednesday, September 9 – we are excited to have you along for the ride.

Cheers.

Tim

Comments

1. Connor
    September 13, 2015 at 7:52pm
    Great, now let us see all of those musical traits you so painstakingly marked - and let us see the similarities to the other tracks!
  2. Leah
    September 14, 2015 at 3:43am
    Muchas gracias. Thank you so much for thinking about all of us. The music keep me relaxing and the day goes well.
  3. David Hague
    September 16, 2015 at 12:29am
    I lived in Oakland in the 7o's.loved all the blues that the Fillmore concerts produced.Went to the Midwest to live for a spell. You won't wouldn't thank the blues could be found in Lincoln, Nebraska. I found more blues lovers there than I can find living in the Los Angeles basin.I live in Riverside California. Most of the people I know don't care for the blues. What's wrong with the people down here? The blues your radio station play for me every day from the time I wake up till the time l go to bed makesme so happy that I don't need these backwards people down here. All I need is for you to keep on playing the new and the old blues so l can feel like I'min the Garden of Edan.Thanks so much. Keep it going.
  4. Nina
    September 16, 2015 at 7:40am
    Simply, AWESOME! Thanks Tim, please keep it up! ☆☆☆☆☆
  5. Geardo Tavera
    September 17, 2015 at 10:17am
    happy, thas is awsome, grate.
  6. Teresa bonilla
    September 21, 2015 at 4:51am
    Thanks so much I love Pandora good morning
  7. Sarah Ann Brown
    September 24, 2015 at 3:54am
    Have a few laughs
  8. cookie
    September 24, 2015 at 5:36am
    Hi Tim thank you for making my days great with the music I love. CONGRATULATIONS ON THE 10 MARK.
  9. Julie
    September 28, 2015 at 3:36pm
    Dear Tim, You have created what I used to dream of, as long ago as high school, and I am now 62. I was the queen of sharing tapes and cd's. But you have opened the experience to be my dream. I am your biggest fan, I am quite certain. I use Pandora nearly, if not every, day of my life. I am so grateful to you and only miss that I have no way to use it in the car. Mine is a 2002 and not likely to be replaced soon. But thanks for the effort in the newer models. Hope you are enjoying what you're doing and that it serves you and your employees well. Always grateful, Julie Schnorr
    1. Bob Williams
      September 30, 2015 at 6:15pm
      Thanks for the great music you broadcast! !!!!!!!!
  10. Manuel Rivera
    September 29, 2015 at 6:48am
    Congratulation pandora and the whole crew! You guys been helping me all this year with my job. I'm a massage therapist and all I play is my pandora when I'm driving going to places to perform my massages and when I get to the clients home I set up and turn on my relaxing reiki healing music Ready to start massaging and soothing my clients. Thank you again 5 starts for you.

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

w