We’ve crossed the ten-year mark at Pandora. It has been a long and winding road, but never have I been more excited about the future. We’re on the cusp of a massive transformation in the way music is discovered and distributed and everything we’ve done has put us in a position to be the force behind that change.

10 Years of Music Discovery

When we analyzed “Dancing Queen” by Abba (the very first song in the Music Genome Project) we had no idea what lay ahead. We were too naïve to realize just how absurd our idea was. It took about 30 minutes to analyze that single track. We listened multiple times to capture every detail of the recording. Close to 200 attributes were notated using pen and paper, then double-checked by a second music analyst before being transcribed into an Excel spreadsheet. Who knew that this intensive, detailed, manual process would become the foundation for personalized radio.

pandora_analysts[2]
Music Analysts circa 2006

But now, looking back, it all makes sense. All that time building the Music Genome Project, manually analyzing one song at a time turned out to be just the right ingredient for an effortless and delightful listening experience. Add to that feedback you have provided – not only your billions of hours of listening, but more than 55 billion thumbs (that’s 8 thumbs for every person on earth), and we have a once in a lifetime chance to do something profound. To fundamentally change the way people enjoy and discover music, and to reinvent the way musicians find an audience and build sustainable careers.

And that is where we’re now turning our attention. There are more than 200,000 artists in Pandora’s catalog. The vast majority of these musicians, a sea of talent and untapped potential, have never had any radio play, and never will. There’s simply no room on ever-narrowing FM playlists. But on Pandora they have a home, and with 80 million music fans listening over 20 hours every month, the opportunity for connection is completely unprecedented. We’re gonna build it, and hand them the keys.

We look forward to creating this bright future with you; unleashing the infinite power of music and realizing for each of you an effortless and delightful connection to the best music available, and for every artist, the career they deserve.

Tune in for the next 10 years and be sure to check out Listener Love Day on Wednesday, September 9 – we are excited to have you along for the ride.

Cheers.

Tim

Comments

1. Jeff Dube
    September 10, 2015 at 9:45am
    Tim, your a genius, thanks for the music I've never heard, and thanks for the "ok, you guys can listen too". Thanks man. J. Homeless vet.
  2. Mary. Diaz
    September 10, 2015 at 2:32pm
    gracias por incluir todo tipo de música
  3. Monica
    September 10, 2015 at 7:47pm
    I stumbled across Pandora's website 9 years ago by just randomly searching the word Pandora. Since then with many email changes and forgotten passwords I have been listening to them. I was thrilled when you developed the mobile app as it was hard to get to the home computer when I wanted to listen to you. You have helped me through many highs and lows and I just want to say thank you for everything!
  4. Olga Ruiz
    September 11, 2015 at 5:05am
    Congratulations Pandora!!!🎉🎉🎉 Tim, I love your radio!! Thanks for all the music. Keep going guys 🎉🎉🎉
  5. Christian
    September 11, 2015 at 2:30pm
    And I thought you just crawled inside my head to figure out what I wanted to hear.
  6. Michael Wiercinski
    September 11, 2015 at 3:24pm
    SEPT. 11, An Infamous Day! But it was my Birthday First!! And I am listening to my FAVORITE PANDORA STATIONS!! What a gift!! I recently returned to Pandora, When I purchased my Smart Phone. When I returned, ALL of my Old Stations were still there waiting for me. AWESOME IDEA!! KEEP UP THE FANOMINAL JOB TIM!! GOD''S BLESSINGS ON THE NEXT TEN YEARS!!
  7. michael hemeon
    September 11, 2015 at 4:23pm
    thanks for the great music .We listen to it at work everyday. Everyone gets two picks than we put it on shuffle and that seems to keep everyone happy a little of this and a little of that lol Thanks from all of us.
  8. Lydia
    September 13, 2015 at 11:30am
    Thank You all for what you do! You all rock, especially you, Tim! Looking forward to many more years! :)
  9. Thony
    September 13, 2015 at 11:32am
    Congratulations pandora! I mean it's a very interesting and entertaining app or radio but only one problem... a few months ago I came to Mexico and when landed on Mexico it didn't allowed me to open pandora...! I would recommend for the Mexicans to let pandora be allowed in Mexico I bet yall get more thousands of users
  10. Rip Booker
    September 13, 2015 at 7:02pm
    A friend suggested Pandora seven years ago. I have a large music collection. Yet having access to an even larger source online is a completely awesome experience. I can sample music I would otherwise have difficulty experiencing. With Bluetooth in my car I can have my own radio so to speak. I have been able to discover new music as well as obscure music. I generally use Pandora to help me but music I would like to own in hard copy. Great work keeping the flame alive.

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )