Last week I returned to the CEO job at Pandora, and it feels like home.

I spent the first week among our employees – in Oakland, Los Angeles and New York. 2300 strong. It was invigorating and inspiring.  The passion for music, for the company and for our mission runs very deep.

I have loved this company intensely for 16 years now. From the very inception of the Music Genome Project and the early days of invention and improvisation, to today when we have become a massive music service providing billions of hours of enjoyment to listeners and a powerful promotional platform for tens of thousands of artists.

I have never been more clear on our purpose and never more certain that we’re on the right path to achieving it. And the energy is palpable all across the company. Everyone inside Pandora is full of excitement about what’s ahead.

There is nothing so powerful as a team united behind a shared sense of mission and passion. We remain steadfastly focused on making your music experience better. Almost every day brings a new learning or insight on how to pick better songs for every listener. It’s a our labor of love.

Speaking of… Have you tried your Thumbprint Radio station? I’m addicted.

Cheers.

Comments

1. Keith
    April 06, 2016 at 12:16pm
    Welcome back. Please use your fine business sense and look into complaints about Pandora. The problem I have and that I read most about is the programming not being updated to where Pandora stops playing the same songs over and over every day. I'm a business subscriber and a personal subscriber and in an 8 hour day with songs averaging 3 minutes, 160 songs can be played. I hear many of the same songs every day and sometimes multiple times a day. Pandora customer service has recommend I thumbs up more songs so I did. It doesn't change anything. Please make Pandora as good as it can be.
    1. Eric
      April 13, 2016 at 4:06pm
      I have to agree with this post. I really like Pandora, but am starting to tire of repeating songs. I listen to Classical for Studying while I work. I'm guessing that the play list repeats 4 times in a day. PLEASE ADD MORE MUSIC TO THIS STATION! Thanks.
    2. Bill
      May 12, 2016 at 6:39am
      I agree with Keith, Pandora use to be my go to application but the repeat of the same song was driving me crazy and I started using other applications. But I love the interface and integration that Pandora has! Best of luck on another successful journey!
  2. Damien Margo
    April 07, 2016 at 10:53am
    Dear Tim, Congratulations on your return! I've always been awestruck by Pandora and I hope the months ahead are productive and rewarding. Kind Regards, Damien Margo
  3. Tricia
    April 07, 2016 at 4:12pm
    I have a suggestion for improvement. Sometimes I just want to hear a favorite artist. When I want to listen to a particular artist or album, I have to switch to Amazon or Spotify. Sometimes, a station with an artist's name that I have created at Pandora plays several songs before I hear the actual artist headlining the station.
  4. Noreen
    April 28, 2016 at 12:15pm
    It's your vision..your baby..welcome home, Tim..nobody does it better!
  5. SB
    September 19, 2016 at 7:58am
    Pandora Marketing Dept. 2100 Franklin St Suite 700 Oakland, CA 94612 Steven Brockerman, MS Ormond Beach, FL 32176 Re: Suggestion for Your Sponsors' (Advertisors') Messages Attn: Pandora Marketing for Sponsors & Tim Westergren, CEO, @timwestergren Sir/Madam: Pandora Radio is both dependable and remarkable. It's always there; I always get the music I love. Thank you. Also it's free--if I don't mind listening to your sponsors' messages, which I don't; however, I do have a suggestion re: producing effective commercials. Let me explain by way of personal experience. Years ago (1960s), an Orlando FM radio station, WHOO, played the kind of music I now listen to on Pandora ("As Time Goes By" radio station: mix of jazz, Standards, Big Band, etc.). Because WHOO played that sort of music, its commercials followed suit: low keyed, though still attention getting, and based on marketing reports at the time, very successful. May I suggest you apply Pandora's algorithmic methodology to the style of your commercial messages per each radio station: R&R, C&W, House, Jazz, Easy Listening, Classical. This occurred to me upon hearing a commercial message on Pandora that wasn't the norm: a well scripted message & a modulated voice-over delivered at the same volume as the music to which I'd been listening. My reaction: receptive because it was consistent with the sort of music I listen to on Pandora. Today, most advertisers assume volume, saturation and a staccato voice-over delivery are more effective than cleverness, style and a regulated speech pattern. And that's probably true for distracted audiences with short attention spans, i.e., 18-22 year olds. But for audiences who are not distracted, whose attention spans are sharp, focused--audiences, shall we say, with a professional background & with (perhaps a great deal of) disposable income--commercials that don't insult their intelligence will get not just their attention but also their money. WHOO catered to that sort of audience and for years reaped the rewards. I think Pandora can do likewise today. Thank you for your time. Worthy, I think, of your attention: https://voicebunny.com/blog/want-attention-whisper-voiceover/ Acting Lessons for Teachers: Using Performance Skills in the Classroom, By Robert T. Tauber, Cathy Sargent Mester; January 1, 2007; Greenwood Publishing Group https://escaping-mediocrity.com/capture-someones-attention-whisper/ http://www.npr.org/templates/transcript/transcript.php?storyId=434597124 Sincerely, Steven Brockerman, MS WrittenWord Consulting® "We do the work. You get the glory." "If you want to get someone's attention, whisper." - Andrew Stanton, film director, screenwriter, producer and voice actor based at Pixar Animation Studios (which quote he lifted from an old Coty Nuance perfume ad)
  6. SB
    September 19, 2016 at 7:59am
    Pandora Marketing Dept. 2100 Franklin St Suite 700 Oakland, CA 94612 Steven Brockerman, MS 2711 Riverside Dr. Ormond Beach, FL 32176 Re: Suggestion for Your Sponsors' (Advertisors') Messages Attn: Pandora Marketing for Sponsors & Tim Westergren, CEO, @timwestergren Sir/Madam: Pandora Radio is both dependable and remarkable. It's always there; I always get the music I love. Thank you. Also it's free--if I don't mind listening to your sponsors' messages, which I don't; however, I do have a suggestion re: producing effective commercials. Let me explain by way of personal experience. Years ago (1960s), an Orlando FM radio station, WHOO, played the kind of music I now listen to on Pandora ("As Time Goes By" radio station: mix of jazz, Standards, Big Band, etc.). Because WHOO played that sort of music, its commercials followed suit: low keyed, though still attention getting, and based on marketing reports at the time, very successful. May I suggest you apply Pandora's algorithmic methodology to the style of your commercial messages per each radio station: R&R, C&W, House, Jazz, Easy Listening, Classical. This occurred to me upon hearing a commercial message on Pandora that wasn't the norm: a well scripted message & a modulated voice-over delivered at the same volume as the music to which I'd been listening. My reaction: receptive because it was consistent with the sort of music I listen to on Pandora. Today, most advertisers assume volume, saturation and a staccato voice-over delivery are more effective than cleverness, style and a regulated speech pattern. And that's probably true for distracted audiences with short attention spans, i.e., 18-22 year olds. But for audiences who are not distracted, whose attention spans are sharp, focused--audiences, shall we say, with a professional background & with (perhaps a great deal of) disposable income--commercials that don't insult their intelligence will get not just their attention but also their money. WHOO catered to that sort of audience and for years reaped the rewards. I think Pandora can do likewise today. Thank you for your time. Worthy, I think, of your attention: https://voicebunny.com/blog/want-attention-whisper-voiceover/ Acting Lessons for Teachers: Using Performance Skills in the Classroom, By Robert T. Tauber, Cathy Sargent Mester; January 1, 2007; Greenwood Publishing Group https://escaping-mediocrity.com/capture-someones-attention-whisper/ http://www.npr.org/templates/transcript/transcript.php?storyId=434597124 Sincerely, Steven Brockerman, MS WrittenWord Consulting® "We do the work. You get the glory." "If you want to get someone's attention, whisper." - Andrew Stanton, film director, screenwriter, producer and voice actor based at Pixar Animation Studios (which quote he lifted from an old Coty Nuance perfume ad)

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )