When we started designing Pandora in January of 2005, we set out to create a service that would do three things:

• Instantly create on-target stations
  • Provide the best music discovery experience anywhere
  • Reward listeners that want to “lean in” and learn more when they hear a WOW! song

We’re finally ready to make good on that third promise.

logo.jpg

Starting tonight, whenever you hear a song you love, just click the song, album, or artist name to learn more. That click will take you “backstage” where you can browse an entire universe that tells the story of more than twenty thousand artists and their collected works.
Sample entire CD’s, read about the history of your favorite bands, look at artist photos, build your musical profile, buy albums and tracks from iTunes or Amazon, and get all kinds of great recommendations for songs, albums, and artists you might enjoy.
Find something you like? You can create a new station with just a single click. Have some time on your hands? Just want to browse? Want to settle a bet about how many albums The Cure released in the 80’s? Hop over to http://www.pandora.com/backstage and search for your favorite artist or song to get started.

Ok, I have a confession to make. We actually started out to do four things… so stay tuned, there’s still a lot of great stuff to come. You haven’t seen anything yet…

Comments

1. Udo W.
    June 16, 2006 at 1:24am
    I would like to tell you, what I tell my playlists: thumbs up! thumbs up! thumbs up! thumbs up!
  2. Ryan
    June 16, 2006 at 1:38am
    Wow. You guys are amazing. Best thing ever. Ryan
  3. JeePee
    June 16, 2006 at 2:31am
    Nice work guys!! What a great way to explore music!! I've been waiting for something like this! And it's getting better and better with this new backstage add-on! Can't wait for the fourth enhancement! Keep it up! One suggestion/feature-request: A button to 'move' a song/artist to another station... Sometimes a song comes along on a station not specially designed to play that kind of songs....at moments like that, I hate to press the "I don't like it" button bcs I do but not for this particular station. Cheers Jean-Paul
  4. Chris
    June 16, 2006 at 5:03am
    It would be an understatement to refer to you folks as masterminds. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU " Life without music , I can't go on " - AAE(Awareness Arts Ensemble) PEACE
  5. CuZzA
    June 16, 2006 at 7:22am
    Hey guys. I was told about this site by my mate. It's absolutely fantastic. It's got all the music I like on it. This is the best music website I know, bar none! So yeah, I want to thank you for the service and the fact that you've opened new doors for me in terms of music artists and music genres. And for that, well done. Again, thanks very much, -CuZzA
  6. Mertseger
    June 16, 2006 at 7:29am
    Very nice. The Artist page becomes an excellent way to track which of the artist's albums you've managed to cover to date. Today is major step forward for the site. Congratulations.
  7. nursegirl
    June 16, 2006 at 7:37am
    Thanks so much for this feature! I keep thinking that Pandora is such a clear example of what the net was supposed to spawn, and then you add another perfect feature, and I get blown away again.
  8. Daniel
    June 16, 2006 at 8:17am
    So I love the new upgrades! One thing tho, ever since the move from "favorites" to "bookmarks" I get runtime errors on every page of Pandora I click through. Could just be the computer I am using - I mostly listen to Pandora at work.
  9. allan
    June 16, 2006 at 8:27am
    I can't even imagine the work that went into compiling all that backstage information - it's staggering... wicked wicked wicked wicked
  10. thomas dorton
    June 16, 2006 at 8:33am
    I already thought this was the best site ever. A lot of sites that upgrade themselves end up upgrading themselves into the toilet. This just keeps getting better.