Hi everybody and welcome to the Pandora Preview. For some time we’ve been hard at work building what we hope will be the best music discovery service anywhere and we’ve just kicked off our preview release. We’ve dedicated our attention to creating a service that is all about the music itself. Pandora isn’t focused on bios, histories, band photos, hyperlinks and so forth. Instead we created something that lets you use your ears, not your mouse to discover new music.
Everyone here is really passionate about helping people connect with great music. I think Pandora is a great step toward that goal and I hope you discover something really great today. For my part, I’ve been listening to stations based on Wilco, Bright Eyes, and Iron & Wine and I’m hearing something new and unexpected every day.
The preview release is all about getting your feedback and we’d love to hear from you. Drop a note to pandora-support with your feedback or leave us a comment here on the blog. We’re really looking forward to hearing from you.

Comments

1. Bur Davis
    August 06, 2005 at 9:56am
    Bug? "Too High" by Pat Martino, on Blue Note Plays Stevie Wonder... chose 'Buy this CD from Amazon' and Amazon couldn't find it. Amazon carries it ()' I guess that Pandora constructed a malformed URL?
  2. Bur Davis
    August 06, 2005 at 9:59am
    Tell 'SVarnadore' to share his Jammin station. I want to be leaving footprints on the ceiling too.
  3. Bur Davis
    August 06, 2005 at 10:13am
    Btw,10 days into using Pandora, I have added 9 albums to my Amazon queue.
  4. Bur Davis
    August 06, 2005 at 10:46am
    Ditto for 'Sad Lisa' from Cat Stevens' Majikat: the query from Pandora yielded a 'not found' result on Amazon, although they carry the album ().
  5. TechCrunch
    August 20, 2005 at 5:08pm
    Dig into the Music Long Tail - Pandora Company: Pandora (formerly Savage Beast Technologies) Launched: July 21 (private alpha) Public Beta: Within two weeks Location: London Overview: Do you love music? Are you the kind of person who’s pissed off because your iPod only holds 80 gig...
  6. Victoria Leavitt
    August 24, 2005 at 7:44pm
    Crazy about this service. So are so many others in my department - having to kick them out of the office so that I can get something done. I am a clinical nursing instructor (emergency) and during lunch showed this to my students. So much fun plugging in artists (most of whom were new to me as these are 20 somethings and I am a 50 something)We were dancing and having fun. There is not enough fun in a hospital - we need more of this. I have a question/suggestion: I would like to access music of a similar genre - for instance jazz with a latin/brasil beat. Is there a way to do that? Victoria Leavitt
  7. Tobias Demuth
    September 22, 2005 at 3:54pm
    Love this thing ! Thank you so much for this. Just gets into news in germany. Really looking for somebody to build the "wireless bluetooth in-my-pocket voter (good/bad buttons)" - perhaps the 3rd button should be named "skip" ;-) Great thing - great team ! I need to have a look if the www.i-really-love-pandora.de /.com domain is still free. Tobias Demuth from Germany.
  8. Vaneet Sharma
    October 19, 2005 at 4:55pm
    Amazing. Absolutely cool Well Done. Great Thing !!! Great Team. i knew laszlo is cool but you guys have outshadowed ur research and work. The system speaks. Vaneet
  9. Jeremy Wright
    November 05, 2005 at 5:25pm
    Screwing with Pandora I started checking out Pandora early last week. Basically, Pandora is a cheap rip-off of Launchcast. It apparently uses some complicated algorithm to find the base types of songs you like - transcending musical genres. Sometimes it?s genius, other times it?s thick-headed useless. I really shouldnt? say it?s a rip on Launchcast. It?s quite cool. Basically, you go to Pandora.com, put in an artist you like, and then it breaks that artist down to its base musical characteristics (type of rhythm, melody, type of music, syncopation, politicalness of music). It then finds similar music, across genres. For the first 20 minutes or so, it was working great. I picked Evanescence as the music I liked and it found Creed, Staind, Kelly Clarkson, Nickelback, etc, all of which is music I liked. But it was all a bit poppy, so I added an ?artist I like? right into the mix: Eminem. Ever since, 90% of the music it tosses my way is crappy hip-hop or R&B. I like, maybe, 8 such artists, so I?m constantly fighting Pandora?s recommendations. So, I?ve given up. Launchcast?s way of actually rating artists may be more manual, but I actually get music I like after spending 20 minutes rating music. With Pandora, it either works great or it sucks. For the last half hour I?ve been ?I hate this??ing hardcore hate rap, and I?ve now given up on Pandora.
  10. Mike
    November 11, 2005 at 12:59pm
    Feature Request I'd like to be able to narrow a station to just one genure. I know Pandora's about discovering music but there are times when I just want to hear a certain style of music. Even when you have trained a station for a long time to try to get it to play just a certain style of music, you still get odd songs.

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )