The Copyright Royalty Board (CRB) has recently released a revised fee schedule for internet radio. Left unchanged, these rates will end internet radio, period. The RIAA has effectively convinced this federal committee to establish rates that make online radio a non-viable business.
It’s an utterly ridiculous ruling that renders any form of internet radio non-economic. We are continuing in the belief that sanity will return as everyone involved, including the 50 million avid online radio listeners, realize just how outrageous this is.
You can probably tell by this post that I feel strongly about this. Online radio has opened up a new world for musicians and listeners alike. It has brought millions of otherwise disconnected music-lovers back to music radio, and has opened up tremendous access and promotion for thousands of musicians – both obscure and well known.
We are striving very hard to build a business. We employ eleven full time people in our ad sales team, and despite very high licensing and streaming costs, believed that we could make it work over the next several years if internet advertising continues to grow. This ruling drives the licensing fees (fees that are NOT paid by terrestrial broadcasters) completely out of reach, and makes our goal impossible.
This is a terribly ill-conceived attempt to crush a powerful and positive grassroots movement that is sweeping across the music world. The record labels’ struggles have nothing to do with online radio and killing it will further hurt their business, not help it.
We need your help. If you’d like to get involved please write your congressperson. Below is a link to point you to the right person. If you can, please send a letter or a fax that asks for a reply (emails are too easily ignored).
Congressional Directory by Zip Code
If you want to learn more details, try this informative blog post from an attorney familiar with the process:
Now more than ever, thanks for your support.
Tim (Founder)

Comments

1. muhasebe programı
    March 18, 2010 at 9:47am
    I can say radio is my life and I like it
  2. web tasarım
    March 25, 2010 at 12:58pm
    For those interested in more background on the issues, in the week since the decision, I've posted much more information on our blog. For all our recent posts on the Copyright Royalty Board decision on the Internet Radio royalties, and its probable impact, you can go to http://www.broadcastlawblog.com/archives/cat-internet-radio.html
  3. Ryan, Pandora Support
    July 26, 2010 at 11:07am
    @todd -- Sorry you've been having difficulty with the BlackBerry app. Check out this link on our FAQ for help with this issue: http://blog.pandora.com/faq/contents/1552.html
  4. Gary Prout
    September 14, 2010 at 8:05am
    Adios Pandora- The music you played for each "artist selected station" was a peripheral obscure piece by them heavily mixed with crappy other work by borderline artists and their worst!!! It is VERY obvious that a "fish rots from the head" and the transparency of what you are doing, then ASKING for donations- how about a quality product oh that's right if I cannot make a quality product lose my idealism and sell out- bye Pandora.
  5. Oyun1
    February 27, 2011 at 10:33pm
    Thank you for nice article.
  6. hostgator
    March 02, 2011 at 8:20am
    Thank you so much for the article. Can I share that article on my website? If you allow, you can contact me via my e-mail address. Thank again...
  7. Hospital
    March 12, 2011 at 7:57pm
    Thank you for a focused and informative post. I really appreciate the research and effort you put into this. So much of the marketing blogosphere is filled with feel-good balloon juice. This was a refreshing change. You can be sure that this blog has been added to my favorites.
  8. vizyon
    March 16, 2011 at 9:32am
    I must tell you that I am very happy. I can be at work working of course and relaying to the music at the same time. It is very relaxing and I am getting more work done because I am enjoying what I am listening too.
  9. hosting