It’s hard for me to believe that it’s been just 9 weeks since we launched Pandora. In that time you’ve created over 1 million stations, starting from 70,000 unique songs and artists. I really can’t imagine a more gratifying response. Easily the best part of all of this has been interacting with many of you via email and in the blogosphere. Thanks for all the great product and music suggestions. It’s been a blast.
We’ve been busy working on the second version of Pandora and we’re launching today. We’re adding new features and an entirely new way to enjoy Pandora.
On the feature front, you’ve told us loud and clear that you want a way to keep track of the music you’re discovering on Pandora. So we’ve added a “favorites” feature that lets you add songs to your very own Pandora personal page. Just click on the album art when you hear a song you love and select “Add to Your Favorites Page” from the menu. Your favorites page is a great consolidated shopping list of all he music you’re discovering on Pandora. You can even share your personal page with friends — who knows maybe they’ll get the hint about what to get you the next time your birthday rolls around, There are easy links to Amazon and iTunes right on the page. We’ve also (finally) given you the ability to review and edit all of the work you’ve put into your stations. Just click the little triangle next to a station name and select “Edit this Station”. You’ll see all the feedback you’ve given (thumbs up/down) as well as the songs and artists you’ve added with the “Add More Kinds of Music” feature. Make changes till your heart’s content. You can even use this same feature to look at the definitions for stations that your friends have sent you. While those are the big, obvious new features, we’ve also been hard at work on playlist generation and we think you’ll find that Pandora does a better job now of responding quickly to your feedback and plays better musical mixes. This is a never-ending quest for us; expect playlists to get better each time we release a new version. That’s our core mission. This release we’ve made some very big strides with our Electronica playlists in particular. We think they’re much improved; let us know what you think! Finally we’ve been polishing up lots of little stuff throughout the interface. We think it’s the little things that matter, so we hope you like those changes too.
The other big piece of news is that we’ve opened the doors on an entirely new way to listen to Pandora. You see we’d planned to launch an ad-supported, free version of Pandora next year, but the sheer volume of new listeners that have found Pandora in the past 9 weeks led us to accelerate our timetable for offering the ad-supported, free version of Pandora. So, starting today, you have a choice: you can listen to ad-supported Pandora for free, or you can subscribe and experience an entirely ad-free version. It’s completely your choice. The service has exactly the same features either way. We’re still experimenting with the right way to bring advertising to Pandora, so you’ll notice us playing with different advertising forms over the coming months. We’d love to know what you think as we work through this. We’re dedicated to mixing advertising into the experience in a way that doesn’t detract from your music discovery experience.
So it’s been an incredible, busy, fun, exciting, exhausting, and thrilling couple of months here. We’re loving every minute of it. Thank you for being a part of it. As always, we love to hear your thoughts and critiques about what we’re doing. Please don’t hesitate to drop us an email or leave a comment here.
This is just the beginning. There’s lots of great stuff to come and we want your help in shaping the evolution of Pandora. It’s sure been a great collaboration so far.
-Tom
CTO @ Pandora
PS: For those of you in the Bay Area, we’re really hoping to meet you tonight at the first Pandora meetup. We hope you can make it!

Comments

1. Anshul
    November 10, 2005 at 9:11pm
    Hi Tom, I was wondering if all the "genes" and the music categorization is done manually or do you also apply some AI/machine learning? What a juicy dataset it would be to try to "learn" from it in active learning model setting.
  2. Ian Danforth
    November 10, 2005 at 10:15pm
    Tom, Amazing, simply amazing. I cannot say how impressed I am with this software. I would particularly congratulate your UI designer(s) as this is litterally the best utilization of flash I've encountered so far. I think the only minor negative I encountered was that I immediately wanted to start giving very specific feedback, just as I would to a friend recommending music. I look forward to an increasing library of music from which Pandora can recommend new tracks, I think this service will be THE way I discover indy tracks, and despite the poor spelling I second Mr. Riti's comments above. ;) Sincerely, Ian Danforth
  3. Luke
    November 11, 2005 at 12:57am
    A friend send me a link, so I typed in 'Infected Mushroom' expecting to get no results and close the page, but what I got instead was a favorite song followed by a steady stream of good music I had never heard of but thoroughly enjoyed. If you keep this up, you'll have me buying yearly subscriptions and dozens of CDs...
  4. townx (http://townx.org)
    November 11, 2005 at 1:59am
    Pandora now free I really like Pandora: personalised radio stations, playing music similar to music you already like (determined by a funky relevance-like algorithm), customisable as it allows you to mark songs you do and don't like, an
  5. torus.ch
    November 11, 2005 at 3:54am
    Pandora 2 - Online Jukebox Pandora ist eine Jukebox, welche aufgrund eingegebener Daten wie Musiktitel oder Interpret ein individuelles Programm aufstellt. Pandora sucht Stücke, welche in der Art, dem Rhythmus und anderem ähnlich sind. Neu ist der Service gratis und wird duc...
  6. Thomas
    November 11, 2005 at 4:53am
    It's great ! Thanks, for sure, I will talk about PANDORA on my blog and bring french bloggers to your site !
  7. Thomas
    November 11, 2005 at 5:54am
    http://lariviereauxcanards.typepad.com/la_riviere_aux_canards/2005/11/for_music_lover.html Et voila ! A link on my blog to PANDORA !
  8. thewaya.org
    November 11, 2005 at 7:26am
    I Like Pandora’s Box Pandora is probably one of the most innovative and interesting websites I have seen this year, it’s certainly my new favourite. They are an offspring of the Music Genome Project, a group that analyses music to find similarities and thus be abl...
  9. phrawzty
    November 11, 2005 at 8:20am
    I'm very happy to know that development is on-going at Pandora. Nothing irritates me more than stagnation - especially if the thing that's languishing is something i've paid for. Kudos, and keep up the good work! --phrawzty Montréal, Quebéc, Canada
  10. Nick Dima
    November 11, 2005 at 9:04am
    Your web site rocks guys! You know what would be cool? Some API so we can use it to show on our websites or blogs what music we are listening in real time. Thanks for this great web site!