It’s hard for me to believe that it’s been just 9 weeks since we launched Pandora. In that time you’ve created over 1 million stations, starting from 70,000 unique songs and artists. I really can’t imagine a more gratifying response. Easily the best part of all of this has been interacting with many of you via email and in the blogosphere. Thanks for all the great product and music suggestions. It’s been a blast.
We’ve been busy working on the second version of Pandora and we’re launching today. We’re adding new features and an entirely new way to enjoy Pandora.
On the feature front, you’ve told us loud and clear that you want a way to keep track of the music you’re discovering on Pandora. So we’ve added a “favorites” feature that lets you add songs to your very own Pandora personal page. Just click on the album art when you hear a song you love and select “Add to Your Favorites Page” from the menu. Your favorites page is a great consolidated shopping list of all he music you’re discovering on Pandora. You can even share your personal page with friends — who knows maybe they’ll get the hint about what to get you the next time your birthday rolls around, There are easy links to Amazon and iTunes right on the page. We’ve also (finally) given you the ability to review and edit all of the work you’ve put into your stations. Just click the little triangle next to a station name and select “Edit this Station”. You’ll see all the feedback you’ve given (thumbs up/down) as well as the songs and artists you’ve added with the “Add More Kinds of Music” feature. Make changes till your heart’s content. You can even use this same feature to look at the definitions for stations that your friends have sent you. While those are the big, obvious new features, we’ve also been hard at work on playlist generation and we think you’ll find that Pandora does a better job now of responding quickly to your feedback and plays better musical mixes. This is a never-ending quest for us; expect playlists to get better each time we release a new version. That’s our core mission. This release we’ve made some very big strides with our Electronica playlists in particular. We think they’re much improved; let us know what you think! Finally we’ve been polishing up lots of little stuff throughout the interface. We think it’s the little things that matter, so we hope you like those changes too.
The other big piece of news is that we’ve opened the doors on an entirely new way to listen to Pandora. You see we’d planned to launch an ad-supported, free version of Pandora next year, but the sheer volume of new listeners that have found Pandora in the past 9 weeks led us to accelerate our timetable for offering the ad-supported, free version of Pandora. So, starting today, you have a choice: you can listen to ad-supported Pandora for free, or you can subscribe and experience an entirely ad-free version. It’s completely your choice. The service has exactly the same features either way. We’re still experimenting with the right way to bring advertising to Pandora, so you’ll notice us playing with different advertising forms over the coming months. We’d love to know what you think as we work through this. We’re dedicated to mixing advertising into the experience in a way that doesn’t detract from your music discovery experience.
So it’s been an incredible, busy, fun, exciting, exhausting, and thrilling couple of months here. We’re loving every minute of it. Thank you for being a part of it. As always, we love to hear your thoughts and critiques about what we’re doing. Please don’t hesitate to drop us an email or leave a comment here.
This is just the beginning. There’s lots of great stuff to come and we want your help in shaping the evolution of Pandora. It’s sure been a great collaboration so far.
-Tom
CTO @ Pandora
PS: For those of you in the Bay Area, we’re really hoping to meet you tonight at the first Pandora meetup. We hope you can make it!

Comments

1. Jon T
    January 13, 2006 at 7:15am
    Clearly, you guys have created music website par to none on the web. Smart, easy to use, and impressively diverse. This is such a great site to support artists and support those who love listening to great music. I can't get over how much this system evolves. I have recommended this site to all my friends and everyone who is not just eating cheetohs and watching MTV loves this site. Job well done, Peace.
  2. dannii
    January 16, 2006 at 11:22am
    why isnt it letting me play songs like it did last night
  3. matt c
    January 16, 2006 at 3:57pm
    Fantastic job, the station manager at WCOM in Carrboro turned me onto Pandora and it is unbelievable, my ipod is so jealous, but I now have to go out and buy so many more CD's ... since it is so easy to see what other music I might like! Keep up the good work!
  4. Bands
    January 17, 2006 at 5:22pm
    He said that the direction of oil prices and the developing story regarding Iran will also play a role in trade,clearviewopp.com although the earnings news is likely to dominate.directoryblue.com If the Iran issue fades,exploringecuador.com stocks can continue to move up in the week ahead,a1accessflatrans.com said Ghriskey Bands http://www.bluevelvetjewelry.com/links.php
  5. Michael Konitzer
    January 18, 2006 at 3:56pm
    This really is the most amazing music tool I ever experienced. First time I dive in in really new music I never heard before. And I really hear - and buy! - a lot. Good luck!
  6. countryrosemp2
    January 21, 2006 at 1:24pm
    just found this site, I love it great work found songs I haven't hard before thanks
  7. Chris
    January 23, 2006 at 1:30pm
    I was told about pandora a few weeks (months?) back.. but I only finally got round to using it.. and I'm impressed! I should have gone for it when I first heard about it- however I don't know if I'm the only one who's thought of it- I hope not otherwise I'll be disappointed in all u ppl.. but how about bringing in some skins to make the interface more diverse for the ever-so-diverse tastes of people here?
  8. eric
    January 23, 2006 at 2:28pm
    Pretty cool. I would suggest an open feedback option, too, so music knowitalls like myself might offer more refined opinions than just "i likes!" or "i don'ts"...maybe suggest new sub categories for genes.
  9. Dave
    January 25, 2006 at 7:30pm
    Totally Awesome !!!! I just started listing an LOVE IT !!!!! I'm already emailing friends..... Feature suggestions: 1) Some way to make requests like: "Play something a little faster, or slower, harder or softer, more vocal, less vocal, etc." 2) Allow the user to give a number ranking, to help guide the play list. For example: I give that song an 8 out of 10, the last was a 6, etc. Then play the higher rank one more often ( or the songs like it ). 3) Buttons on the main page for quick Thumbs-Up / Thumbs-Down, without having to click "Guide Us" each time. Excellent work !!!!! Thanks !!
  10. Alex Le
    January 25, 2006 at 9:59pm
    I wonder if you guys can link Pandora with Last.FM? I think Last.FM and Pandora are the most 2 interesting music websites online. I have about 10,000 tracks played and recorded by Last.FM and I truely want to save the recomended tracks by Pandora to be saved in Last.FM. I know this is not technologically challenging, as Last.FM already provide the web service. So why don't we just connect these great 2 services together? My rationale: the more you listen on Pandora, the better the recommendation, the more variety of songs and bands you discover and saved to your Last.FM history. Thus everyone wins. Alex ps: http://www.last.fm/user/sr3d : my Last.FM page.