It’s hard for me to believe that it’s been just 9 weeks since we launched Pandora. In that time you’ve created over 1 million stations, starting from 70,000 unique songs and artists. I really can’t imagine a more gratifying response. Easily the best part of all of this has been interacting with many of you via email and in the blogosphere. Thanks for all the great product and music suggestions. It’s been a blast.
We’ve been busy working on the second version of Pandora and we’re launching today. We’re adding new features and an entirely new way to enjoy Pandora.
On the feature front, you’ve told us loud and clear that you want a way to keep track of the music you’re discovering on Pandora. So we’ve added a “favorites” feature that lets you add songs to your very own Pandora personal page. Just click on the album art when you hear a song you love and select “Add to Your Favorites Page” from the menu. Your favorites page is a great consolidated shopping list of all he music you’re discovering on Pandora. You can even share your personal page with friends — who knows maybe they’ll get the hint about what to get you the next time your birthday rolls around, There are easy links to Amazon and iTunes right on the page. We’ve also (finally) given you the ability to review and edit all of the work you’ve put into your stations. Just click the little triangle next to a station name and select “Edit this Station”. You’ll see all the feedback you’ve given (thumbs up/down) as well as the songs and artists you’ve added with the “Add More Kinds of Music” feature. Make changes till your heart’s content. You can even use this same feature to look at the definitions for stations that your friends have sent you. While those are the big, obvious new features, we’ve also been hard at work on playlist generation and we think you’ll find that Pandora does a better job now of responding quickly to your feedback and plays better musical mixes. This is a never-ending quest for us; expect playlists to get better each time we release a new version. That’s our core mission. This release we’ve made some very big strides with our Electronica playlists in particular. We think they’re much improved; let us know what you think! Finally we’ve been polishing up lots of little stuff throughout the interface. We think it’s the little things that matter, so we hope you like those changes too.
The other big piece of news is that we’ve opened the doors on an entirely new way to listen to Pandora. You see we’d planned to launch an ad-supported, free version of Pandora next year, but the sheer volume of new listeners that have found Pandora in the past 9 weeks led us to accelerate our timetable for offering the ad-supported, free version of Pandora. So, starting today, you have a choice: you can listen to ad-supported Pandora for free, or you can subscribe and experience an entirely ad-free version. It’s completely your choice. The service has exactly the same features either way. We’re still experimenting with the right way to bring advertising to Pandora, so you’ll notice us playing with different advertising forms over the coming months. We’d love to know what you think as we work through this. We’re dedicated to mixing advertising into the experience in a way that doesn’t detract from your music discovery experience.
So it’s been an incredible, busy, fun, exciting, exhausting, and thrilling couple of months here. We’re loving every minute of it. Thank you for being a part of it. As always, we love to hear your thoughts and critiques about what we’re doing. Please don’t hesitate to drop us an email or leave a comment here.
This is just the beginning. There’s lots of great stuff to come and we want your help in shaping the evolution of Pandora. It’s sure been a great collaboration so far.
-Tom
CTO @ Pandora
PS: For those of you in the Bay Area, we’re really hoping to meet you tonight at the first Pandora meetup. We hope you can make it!

Comments

1. MYBLOG by Ouriel
    November 10, 2005 at 6:27am
    PANDORA : DISCOVER MUSIC LIKE NEVER BEFORE I recommend you Pandora: I had the chance to be part of their beta testers. It is probably the best service online to help you discover music based on your current tastes. I tried services like Last.fm, but i was
  2. TechCrunch
    November 10, 2005 at 8:30am
    Pandora Now Offers Free Option Pandora, the great music disovery service and player, is now offering a free version of its service. Pandora has hired 30 musicians who have spent years analyzing 400 attributes of songs, like melody, rhythm and vocals. They’ve analyzed over 1...
  3. H
    November 10, 2005 at 9:43am
    Pandora.com: Discover new music with great sucess rates Pandora is an online custom radio station which streams music to you based on what you tell it you like/don’t like. Alex tipped me off about this a few weeks ago as its been keeping him alive at his job. What makes Pandora worth your time is th...
  4. Tyler Riti
    November 10, 2005 at 10:12am
    Lovin' the new version. I only just heard of Pandora this week and I just can't stop listening. Thank you for restoring my passion for music. Any chance that we could get a native Dashboard widget version? I was able to make a rudimentary widget that just displays the Flash interface and it's functional, but not very smooth (passing mouseclicks through isn't 100% working).
  5. Matt
    November 10, 2005 at 10:36am
    Tom awesome Ive been pushing Pandora and its potential to the developers of Peer Impact for serval months but they didnt think the subscription model would fly for streamed music for most of thier member base . I hope you and Wurld Media get together in the near future and incorpote Pandora into thier pay p2p client . www.peerimpact.com
  6. Stefan Constantinescu
    November 10, 2005 at 2:52pm
    bloody amazing service, hope you are working on a stand alone gadget for windows vista :-)
  7. Adam
    November 10, 2005 at 4:12pm
    Ack... a meetup tonight? I'm in San Francisco, but just discovered your service today AND already have tickets for a musical in Sunnyvale tonight ("City of Angels"). I hope you have another meetup around here soon. It'd be great to meet y'all behind this service.
  8. chuy
    November 10, 2005 at 4:32pm
    Great update on Pandora, this thing has shown me alot of new music, and now I won't forget what that song I heard yesterday was... yet another reason this beats the crap out of radio. Also, I'm sure the free year is appreciated by everyone. Keep it up, Chuy
  9. Leo Nelson
    November 10, 2005 at 8:36pm
    I just found out about Pandora and am very, very impressed. Keep the good work going.
  10. Andrew Wooldridge
    November 10, 2005 at 9:09pm
    When I got the email that Pandora was offering a free ad-supported version I literally did a happy dance. (embarassing, I know) Pandora's basically restored my faith in listening to _good_ music again. One comment: I wish I could set a pref so I dont get the bookmarks page every time I set a song as a bookmark. I also wish you had in the UI somewhere to add "suggested artists" or "suggested songs" - where I might add something that you either dont have yet, or couldnt find (like say Keith Green, or Captain Jack)