Windows MobileIt’s been well over a year since I first talked publicly about Pandora for Windows Mobile. After a number of false starts and broken promises on my part, I’m happy to report that we’ve now released our first Windows Mobile implementations of Pandora.
Today we’re rolling out Pandora for the HTC XV6900 on Verizon, the HTC Touch on Sprint, and the Motorola Q9C on both Sprint and Verizon. These are free to download and are supported solely through advertising. The entire Pandora experience you’ve come to expect on the web is available on your Windows Mobile phone: create stations, listen, give feedback, QuickMix, etc.
In cooperation with AT&T we are also launching Pandora support for three additional Windows Mobile phones: the Samsung Epix, the LG Incite, and HTC Fuze. AT&T has decided to make these versions of Pandora available on a monthly subscription basis.
To get started with Pandora on your HTC Touch, HTC XV6900, Motorola Q9C, LG Incite, HTC Fuze, or Samsung Epix simply visit http://www.pandora.com using Mobile Internet Explorer on your smartphone and follow the installation instructions.
We’re continuing the work required to bring Pandora to a broader range of Windows Mobile handsets. Keep your eye on this blog and this page for updates on new handsets.
For those of you that have been keeping an eye on this since I first talked about it so long ago, thanks again for your patience. Enjoy!

Comments

1. Wade
    December 18, 2008 at 9:18am
    Folks, bandwidth on cell networks is shared. What you think is "unlimited" certainly cannot be, or someone would use it all, and there'd be none left for you. I'm sure whatever network you're on has either 1) decided the hit to shared bandwidth by N users of Pandora is such that they have to charge $M to those users due to $-M in lost "unlimited" subscribers, or 2) they will take the shared bandwidth hit, if they can get Y users to upgrade to new phones that now have a unique (Pandora) feature. The only thing that's unlimited is how much you'd have to spend to try to obtain it.
  2. Wade
    December 18, 2008 at 9:31am
    By the way, thanks for this update! I may become a Pandora user now! :)
  3. Gisela
    December 18, 2008 at 12:41pm
    Off topic, but i just heard my first "commercial" -- and it strangled my love for Pandora. PLEASE don't add commercials that talk to us: i LOVE the sophisticated use of ads on the Pandora page -- and recall the advertisers with respect: HP,Apple,Northface,Becks,Intel,etc. I cringe thinking of having to turn off Pandora if commercials are the norm: just say No!
  4. Alee – Listener Advocate
    December 18, 2008 at 5:24pm
    @Gisela--we're still working on these audio ads to make sure they are as unobtrusive as possible. The brutal reality that we are trying to negotiate as delicately as possible: Pandora needs ad revenue to keep our operation afloat. We totally understand the sanctity of the listening experience and we do offer an ad-free Pandora experience for $36 per year. This is a drop in the bucket and we've purposely kept the price low so as not to railroad our listeners or make the cost of subscription out of anyone's reach. Hope everyone appreciates our stance on this matter. Thank you and take care! -A
  5. Miguel
    December 18, 2008 at 5:43pm
    @Tom - I don't understand this. How does the carrier have any say over your pricing? I have unlimited internet access and can stream music and video from all manner of sources from the internet. While there are some AT&T branded services, there is also the whole wide internet out there. I can download MP3s using a all sorts of web browsers. I have Windows Mobile - I have the internet. That internet doesn't just deliver text websites but also has all sorts of multimedia services. Why should your particular service be subject to restrictions and pricing negotiations that other things like YouTube are not? That seems like a pretty lousy way to provide content. AT&T should have no veto authority regarding your specific content delivery method. AT&T doesn't block mp3 downloads in Pocket IE. Why do you let them interfere with your delivery of music through other sources. I have unfiltered internet in my pocket. All sorts of third party applications utilize the internet with no input whatsoever from AT&T. The heart of this is that I don't understand why carriers should have any input. My desktop DSL provider doesn't work with you to provide your primary service. You don't need their go ahead to decide whether to offer an ad-supported or subscription business model. Why let AT&T push you around? Why are you playing by their rules? They don't block other multimedia sites. I can freely watch YouTube videos. I can freely buy and download MP3s from numerous independent artists throughout the internet. I can watch full length movies on Hulu by simply using an alternative web browser. And actually, I can enjoy the desktop version of Pandora by using that browser. Pandora is provided seamlessly, in its full ad-supported glory. I don't like having to use that browser. It looks funky and wierd when I have to peer at your website through a 640x480 window. It works, but it isn't that easy. I would really like to use the sleek application that you have created. However, I am unwilling to pay an additional $8.99 for the privilege to use that service. Not when I already already pay to have the entire internet at my fingertips. Not when another AT&T device, the Iphone, gets it for free. Not when Sprint and Verizon devices get it for free. I love your content and service. I really do. I would love it have it available on my mobile device and wouldn't even mind paying for it. I just don't want to be discriminated against based upon my operating system. Both the Fuze and Iphone run on AT&T. Setting aside Verizon and Sprint, why must I pay when Iphone users need not? Until they need to or until I don't I will not subscribe. I'll grudgingly use your desktop service on my mobile device. It's not very easy or user friendly, but it is fair. Thanks for listening and responding. You deserve kudos for your customer service.
  6. Tom Conrad
    December 18, 2008 at 9:06pm
    @Miguel - This is all pretty tricky for us. At the heart of the matter is our direct relationship with AT&T which allows us to deliver Pandora on 20 or so different AT&T phones. This direct relationship means that AT&T does in fact control pricing of our application for most phones. The iPhone is a notable exception. We're working hard to make Pandora available ad-supported free on every possible carrier and phone, but at this point we have to abide by AT&T's wishes with respect to phones operating on their network and their current strategy requires that our listeners subscribe when listening from most phones. We'll continue to work on getting them to change their minds. We share your vision of open access to Pandora on AT&T and all other carrier networks.
  7. Jerry
    December 19, 2008 at 8:58am
    The issue with AT&T regulating access to Pandora, especially on WM based phones with full html browsers, is ridiculous. If I'm paying for unlimited Internet access already why should I have to pay an extra fee to access Internet content for which I have already ponied up $30 a month? If I can access your site for free from my computer why should your site cost anything on a mobile browser? I like the site and will continue to use it on my computer but I'm not being screwed out of another $5 a month on top of my $30 monthly unlimited Internet access package by AT&T just to access Pandora. Make it ad based, your shortcut may not be included in AT&T's default phone image but, you'll get more people listening long term if they aren't being beaten for another $5 every month anyway. On my Q9h I use google maps/Microsoft Live search instead of AT&T's navigator app because I refuse to pay them another $10 to access the GPS feature Motorola built into the phone. I use mobile Wikipedia, YouTube and other "Applications" that AT&T would sell me through their application mall if I hadn't just gone to the mobile version of their websites and saved myself being charged for nothing. Many people do the same thing because we're tired of being nickel and dimed for access to applications and features of the phones we have purchased. Access to a free Internet based service is just one of those things I and many others won't pay for. Please reconsider/revisit the terms of your relationship with AT&T and keep access to your service free for everyone.
  8. Patrick
    December 19, 2008 at 9:03am
    I love that you guys are going mobile and I know you guys are working hard at it. Which is why I understand the switch to AAC+ to lower bandwidth. But why oh why is it MONO???? I know there are two seperate versions mobile and non-mobile so why not Stereo for high bandwidth computers? The listening quality has been diminished. I still listen but am becoming more disheartened by the day.
  9. Jerry
    December 19, 2008 at 9:08am
    Sorry, in my last post I referenced $5, I was just using a generic number and didn't realize it was actually $8.99. Based on that new number, please take what I said before and add an additional $3.99 worth of 'disgusted'.
  10. Dustin
    December 19, 2008 at 9:25am
    Is the AT&T subscription version of Pandora free of advertisements?