You may be surprised at how many Pandora listeners there are who are over 70 years old. Some of them are using the internet daily, so put away your stereotypes! There are other older listeners who are using the internet solely for listening to music via Pandora, having been turned on to it by a relative or friend.
More than one listener over 70 has written in to tell us that while listening to Pandora they’re actually getting up to dance to their old favorites such as Buddy Holly and Chuck Berry, remembering doing The Twist, The Jitterbug and The Bunny Hop.
jitterbug.jpg
Hollywood Palladium, 1940
Last week a gentleman wrote in to tell us that he’s 82, and that his Benny Goodman and his Tommy Dorsey stations remind him of his teenage years, dancing at the Hollywood Palladium in the 1940s. (Entry fee: 50 cents.) Another woman, 71, listens to music from her college days on Pandora on a laptop, in bed. She likes the trip down memory lane listening to Duke Ellington, Ella Fitzgerald, and Louis Armstrong. The internet is sometimes thought of as a young person’s game, but we’re finding that love of music draws listeners of all ages.

Comments

1. liz
    October 12, 2006 at 1:36pm
    hey most of today's teens are into more of the R&B thing then anything else try and get some of that for Pandora. more of my friends may join and enjoy this as much as i do.
  2. TheSpamHere
    October 13, 2006 at 7:34am
    I must confess they are not the only ones listening to that music. I'm 22 and i listen all day long those artists. Ella, Louis, Frank, Nat King... the list goes on and on! Swing just has that i-dont-know-what that makes it the best kind of music.
  3. sebastian
    October 13, 2006 at 7:59am
    it's incredible that music (and internet) has no barriers. keep rockin' Pandora! greetings
  4. Kara
    October 13, 2006 at 10:26am
    That's so great! It's amazing how I can share some of the same musical interests with someone who is of another generation. I'm only sixteen and I love listening to big band, swing, and artists of long ago.
  5. mmm7
    October 15, 2006 at 12:08pm
    This entry is heartwarming; I know that I love the Internet myself and it makes me happy to know that some of our seniors enjoy it in the same ways!
  6. Tracey
    October 16, 2006 at 10:11am
    Hello, I think it is great that 70 year olds are listening, however, my 3 year olddaughter would like to have a selection of music that interests her. I would love it if such songs as "baa baa black sheep, alphabet song" etc could be added.
  7. Lucia @ Pandora
    October 16, 2006 at 10:43am
    Thanks for the lovely comments!! cheers, Lucia
  8. tofuu
    October 16, 2006 at 10:47am
    i'm an 18 year-old high school senior and this is one of the reasons why i love pandora. it's really hard to find music of the older genre in today's society. pandora makes it really easy for someone like me to experience great music from days long past even though i never got the chance to be there.
  9. Sharona
    October 16, 2006 at 9:44pm
    Age is just a number (in my opinion) What ever music appeal to your HEART and MIND. rule over the age factor/ I am in my late Forty and still listen to FUNK,Modern Rock,Soul and Old school Rap. Oh Classic Rock Forever. Yes! I love the Big Band/swing music (What it used to be called back in the 40's and early 50's)it is great for walking and jump roping. The sound is so live and no electronic gizmo crap. These artists were the real musicians.
  10. MM
    October 16, 2006 at 11:08pm
    Since listing to pandora, my husband and I have had nights listing to classic, country, jazz, R&B, oldies and smooth jazz anytime we wanted too. We now have romantic nights listing to love songs to set the mood. We have had friends asking what station we're listing too and showed them pandora, they too list to it now.... Thank you...