I’m happy to announce that we’ve just released the latest version of Pandora for BlackBerry. This version has a bunch of cool new features but I think the one that many people have been anxiously waiting for is improved audio quality. While we have had stereo AAC+ over Wi-Fi for a while, our BlackBerry mobile stream has been constrained to mono AAC – until now!
We’ve just switched the BlackBerry mobile streams over to stereo AAC+ in our servers. If you are using an older Pandora client (1.0.3 or earlier) then you’re now hearing an AAC+ stereo stream. Once you upgrade to 1.1, you will have access to a new “High” quality AAC+ stereo stream in addition to the “Normal” stereo stream (in case your mobile connection isn’t fast enough to keep up with the high quality stream).
Point your BlackBerry browser to http://www.pandora.com to download and install the app. It should be available on App World within the next day or so.
Here are the full release notes for 1.1. As usual, if you have any problems please feel free to leave a comment here or email our support team at email@example.com
- Significantly better audio quality over mobile network – now using stereo AAC+ (HE-AAC) for both Wi-Fi and mobile connections
- Listener preference option to select “High” quality stream over mobile network or “Normal” for slower connections. Both are stereo.
- Create Station screen now has auto-complete functionality as you type
- Added user preference option to enable or disable station auto-start
- Moved “Log Out” from main menu into Options screen, it now shows the currently logged-in username
- Visual overlay when changing volume; easier to see actual volume level
- Application will check for correct application permissions on startup, and offer to set them to appropriate values if required
- You can now get to the “Options” screen from the menus of both the Station List screen and the
Now Playing screen
- Reduced download size of app by about 30-40%
- Fixed stream resume problem on some Storm devices after being interrupted by a system alert (phone call, SMS, email, etc)
- Fixed bug where Wi-Fi capable devices without a SIM card or data plan were not able to use Pandora over Wi-Fi
- Fixed reports of “low volume” settings not being low enough – the lower volume settings now go as quiet as possible before being muted
- Fixed bug where album art may not have been displayed for some tracks
- Mute button should now properly sleep the device when holding it down