One of the things we care a lot about here at Pandora is giving you a space to share your musical discoveries with the world. That’s what the “Your Favorites” page is all about. Whenever you discover a song on Pandora that you love, just click on the album art and select “Add to Your Favorites Page.” That adds the song to your personal favorites page. You can then easily share the page URL with your friends.
With tonight’s release we’ve upgraded the favorites page with some new features:
– You can now listen to a 30-second sample of each song on any favorites page (your page, or one of your friends pages).
– When you visit a friend’s favorites page (for example, http://www.pandora.com/people/tconrad), you can click any of the stations listed and that station will be immediately added to the list of stations in your player. Sharing stations is easier than ever.
– Each song on a favorites page now links to a “song page” where you can view album art, listen to a 30-second sample, and purchase the song from iTunes or Amazon. These are great URL’s to pass around to your friends too. Here’s a song I love: Lua by Bright Eyes.
– Your favorites are now available as an RSS feed. Just click click the orange XML icon get the feed URL and then add it to your favorite aggregator (My.Yahoo!, live.com Bloglines, NetNewsWire, etc.). Your friends can subscribe to your feed of favorites and then they’ll be notified each time you discover a great new song. For a really neat trick, add your Pandora favorites feed to the Mac OS X “RSS Visualizer” screensaver for a cool animated show of everything you’re finding on pandora.

Comments

1. Jo
    February 28, 2006 at 6:22am
    I was wondering if there is ever going to be the facility to have a favorite songs radio station? Cheers J
  2. Patrick Farrell
    July 26, 2006 at 8:38am
    Pandora's value is the ability to recommend as many songs as possible and get user feedback. Presumably the algorithm is learning based on my feedback to pinpoint my musical tastes and reuse that in future recommendations for people with musical tastes like me (at least it should work this way). If you start mucking with those algorithms, even for individual users, it might have the cascade effect of affecting everyone's recommendations. I may be assuming too much here about how Pandora is really operating, but if I'm not wrong, tightening one user's experience may affect all user's experience. I say, if you're worried about being exposed to ideas (or even words) that challenge the way you want to view the world, then you should not participate in the Pandora. Do not recommend that a free program be changed because it doesn't conform to your worldview.
  3. Jovan Garmon
    November 12, 2006 at 3:08am
    Record company EMI sign a deal with the estate of crooner Dean Martin to use the singer's likeness...
  4. April
    October 10, 2008 at 7:57pm
    I'm with Pinko on the lyrics conundrum. I hate when I thumbs down a song and then features that I LIKED about the song are also now down in importance. I know this is a thread with a lot of discussion about obscenity, but that's not my issue. My issue is that I want a station to listen to in the morning with upbeat lyrics and that is hard to create. So, mark me down as another person who would like to check a box and say: Upbeat lyrics are important to me for this station. By the way: I think Pandora is so very, very awesome. Thanks, Tim and all the Pandora people!
  5. Lucia @ Pandora
    October 13, 2008 at 12:56pm
    Thanks for your feedback, April! :) Lucia, from Pandora
  6. Vince
    March 24, 2009 at 11:55am
    You guy's it's not that hard. The songs are listed in a database with metadata. If the CD has a Parental Advisory then don't play it for those that don't want to hear it. I completely agree that to remove music from Pandora for evryone because a few don't want it is ridiculous but they have the same right not to be present with the music. It's not hard. Here I'll write the psuedocode for you: If(userProfileExplicit='true'&&songCDParentalAdvisory='true') playlist.next() Get off your soap boxes about DAMN THE MAN over a simply fix that I am sure Pandora is addressing. It's just as annoy as the nutjobs who want all the songs removed.
  7. Listening At Work
    April 10, 2009 at 11:32am
    I agree with the ability to block out explicit lyrics. I listen to pandora on speakers often at work, and everyone enjoys listening to it with me. But having to maintain a certain level of professionalism requires me to skip songs that explicit lyrics. I don't suggest that pandora itself decides what is explicit and what isn't since most explicit albums already have 'explicit' warnings on them. Just add that as a property as music.
  8. alex
    April 28, 2009 at 1:43pm
    why does pandora stop playing... doesn't matter which web browser i use,, it just randomly mid song stops playing...?
  9. Kurt
    November 25, 2009 at 3:30pm
    I love the service, but would urge Pandora to include an option would play the "clean" (i.e., non-explicit) version of the songs. Especially now that Pandora is on Roku, my whole family is listening. Personally, I don't want to eliminate the songs, just the language that the radio cuts out. If the radio can do, I'm sure Pandora can.
  10. Ryan, Pandora Support
    December 03, 2009 at 6:21pm
    @Kurt You can restrict Pandora from playing songs with Explicit content. To do that click on the "account" link in the upper right corner of the Pandora home page. There you should see "Allow explicit content?" Click on 'edit' and in the next window choose 'NO. Do not allow explicit content.' You will also be given the option to protect this setting with a PIN code. This is not required, though. Enabling this filter will limit Pandora to playing music that could play on daytime broadcast radio. Note that this can only be applied to the entire account, and not just specific stations.