One of the things we care a lot about here at Pandora is giving you a space to share your musical discoveries with the world. That’s what the “Your Favorites” page is all about. Whenever you discover a song on Pandora that you love, just click on the album art and select “Add to Your Favorites Page.” That adds the song to your personal favorites page. You can then easily share the page URL with your friends.
With tonight’s release we’ve upgraded the favorites page with some new features:
– You can now listen to a 30-second sample of each song on any favorites page (your page, or one of your friends pages).
– When you visit a friend’s favorites page (for example, http://www.pandora.com/people/tconrad), you can click any of the stations listed and that station will be immediately added to the list of stations in your player. Sharing stations is easier than ever.
– Each song on a favorites page now links to a “song page” where you can view album art, listen to a 30-second sample, and purchase the song from iTunes or Amazon. These are great URL’s to pass around to your friends too. Here’s a song I love: Lua by Bright Eyes.
– Your favorites are now available as an RSS feed. Just click click the orange XML icon get the feed URL and then add it to your favorite aggregator (My.Yahoo!, live.com Bloglines, NetNewsWire, etc.). Your friends can subscribe to your feed of favorites and then they’ll be notified each time you discover a great new song. For a really neat trick, add your Pandora favorites feed to the Mac OS X “RSS Visualizer” screensaver for a cool animated show of everything you’re finding on pandora.

Comments

1. markatburton
    February 02, 2006 at 7:28pm
    Does this meen my version of p has been updated automatically? i will assume yes...i which case might isuggest you add some new and expensive box set tracks to existing stations ie nirvana out of the light etc my statons dont seem to have updated in any way? MATB
  2. DLE
    February 03, 2006 at 12:28pm
    My young son and I were listening to your station when one of your selected songs came up with explicit lyrics. I don't listen to that kind of music, never selected any artists with explicit lyrics, and never want to hear artists that use obscenties. I know that you don't want to censor artists who use explicit lyrics, but you give no option to those of us who don't share your sentiment on that one. Why can't you add a checkbox to a user account that says: "Never play songs with explicit lyrics"? Seems like a very simple thing to do. Otherwise, I'm going to have to stop using your service and tell all those people that I told about Pandora of the problems I've had with inappropriate stuff being played. Thanks!
  3. politica
    February 03, 2006 at 1:58pm
    DLE, the other option of course is to not listen with your son.
  4. Jerry Crowley
    February 03, 2006 at 4:10pm
    Hi I am interested in subscribing but becaue I live outside the US I cannot. When will you launch a worldwide version?
  5. Dave
    February 03, 2006 at 4:48pm
    I just discovered pandora.com - fantastic, one of the most exciting things I've ever found on the internet. But the previous comment regarding explicit lyrics makes me hesitate to share this with my kids. I don't object to the very occasional four-letter word, but I draw the line at some of the hyper-sexual lyrics of certain popular music. My youngest daughter has some rap-leanings (where did I go wrong?), but that's her business. She'll avoid the truly nasty stuff given a chance, but Pandora currently offers no way to do that. Dave
  6. Ducky
    February 03, 2006 at 6:51pm
    I also wish there was a feature to opt out of listening to music containing explicit lyrics. To many people, this is just as important as the musical style.
  7. Kathy
    February 03, 2006 at 10:11pm
    I'd like to add my voice to those asking for a way to opt out of receiving songs with explicit lyrics. Certainly don't want to keep others from receiving anything they want. But I'd prefer not to get those songs. Anything possible in that regard? Thanks. Love the site.
  8. Jake
    February 04, 2006 at 9:30am
    Hi, I have been using this site for a couple of months and I think it is fantastic. In the last couple of days I have noticed that when I click on a song to either state that I enjoy it or I don't care for it, there is no reply, or I have to hit it multiple times. Is this something with my computer or is there some kind of bug they are working out? Thanks, Jake P.S. Keep it up. This thing is awesome!
  9. Scooter Johns
    February 04, 2006 at 11:39am
    Awesome! You guys are gonna make a mint! Good luck!
  10. drexle
    February 04, 2006 at 1:32pm
    How are you proposing "explicit" lyrics be defined? Do you want just one checkbox? If so, what gets censored? Songs about sex? Songs about Violence? Songs with allegorical themes about sex or violence? Songs about kissing? Where is the line drawn? What if you are okay with songs with sexual lyrics but don't want to hear songs with violent lyrics? Perhaps a set of questions relating to this when you create a new user account, and using that to take recommendations into account? I think that would be a better alternative than just a checkbox. It's a more "intelligent" filter, which fits with a site that is all about intelligent recommendation.