There’s quite a bit of refinement and UI polish that went into this release. There are probably 20 little things that have changed in the UI to make the experience of using Pandora just a little nicer. For example, the player finally gives you an idea of how long it’s going to take to finish loading when you first visit the site. When you email a station to a friend, there’s a confirmation panel to tell you that it’s on its way. When you mouse over a song “slide” you get a little halo to let you know that something will happen when you click. In fact, there’s a halo effect on lots of things. Truth be told, we went a little halo crazy this release.
We love this stuff, and we have a list a mile long of other little things we want to refine. You can bet that we’ll be working on these over time. The thing is that we really want your experience with Pandora to be an entirely delightful one and we’re big believers that the little stuff really does matter.

Comments

1. DoCtOr_oCtOr
    February 06, 2006 at 2:50pm
    The most I can get my processor up to is about 10% ... and thats if I run it over all the ones in the window over and over ... still ... its a bit odd that even gets that high ... must be a Flash thing...
  2. michael
    February 06, 2006 at 3:08pm
    I'm running a 1.33Ghz G4 Powerbook, 768MB RAM, Firefox 1.5.0.1 and I don't notice any performance issues. Now, on my Linux box at work (can't quite remember the specs other than it's a Celeron but it's FF 1.5.0.1 as well), the cursor does tend to get a little sluggish when moving around in the UI. Still, I like the halo. It gives a visual clue that the bit you're hovering over will do something if you click. And I'd like to see a standalone player, too. Even just a pop up window; just something to get it out of a tab in Firefox and somewhere where I can see what's playing now quicker. Also, when adding a song to my favorite list, it gets a little annoying having to close the new window that's opened everytime (I've been adding a lot of songs). Other than that, it's a fabulous thing. I plan on letting everyone I know.. know.. about it.
  3. wheezil
    February 07, 2006 at 1:02pm
    Chaps, this is what the internet is for - you have delivered a beautiful, useful, simple site with a purpose. Congratulations
  4. Jay
    February 07, 2006 at 8:12pm
    Pandora's simply awesome! Any chance you guys will make a standalone player available? Pandora in a browser window gets frequently 'overwritten' by other apps linking out to a web page. Also, I wouldn't mind seeing the relevant album name listed with the song info. Thanks for one of the best apps the web has to offer!
  5. Thomas
    February 11, 2006 at 1:12pm
    I really love Pandora! Very innovative! A few suggestions: - limit the bandwidth used when loading the next titles (currently my 2mbit connection gets locked for a few seconds then) - display the album title - display the lenght of a song and the remaining time, especially useful for those very long ambient music titles I am listening to - how about a preview queue of titles to come? (and this queue may change if I change my previous votes, so I can play around and see how Pandora reacts) - how about suggesting two titles and let the user choose which one he prefers? - is there a list of parameters like /cmd=tunermini? Greeting from Germany!
  6. Zach
    February 12, 2006 at 9:49am
    Suggestion: recolor the button halos to a slightly more yellowish hue, not the same orange they are when currently selected. The album halos are fine.
  7. Ralf
    February 13, 2006 at 4:58pm
    Hi from Germany! Here's a tip from my experience with Pandora for the numerous users in the blog asking for a stand-alone player showing what's playing now while you are doing something else on your PC: (Hopefully you can follow my description as I don't know the exact expressions on the English menu.) Just click the task bar with the right mouse button, then choose "attributes/features", and on the tab "task bar options" set a check mark for "always in the foreground/front" AND delete the check mark for "automatically in the background/back" - and finish it with "OK", of course. Then the task bar will always remain visible, and you may drag it with the mouse to the edge of the monitor where you like it most. No matter which browser you are using (I prefer Firefox to Internet Explorer because of its security, small RAM size and multi-tabbing!) you will then always see the name of the current song and artist on the task bar while you are writing a letter in MS-Word or doing anything else ... Of course, if you are using a multi-tabbing browser like Firefox and have opened several tabs, always make Pandora the current tab before switching to another program! Hoping that this was understandable and useful - and if yes, Pandora could add this tip to the FAQ ...
  8. udi
    February 17, 2006 at 3:01am
    hi pandora pepole, your site is amazing, very clear and simple but with great functionality. if you don`t mind i have 2 suggestions: 1. sometimes i get a song which is not what i want to hear in this station, but i love it, so a "add to another station" button could be nice. 2. when my friends share by my email address they can hear only the stations that i created and not what i`m sharing from others. adding this option will add to the community asspect of your project. thank you for many hours of good music (esspecialy at work :), and for the new artists i found.
  9. Bend
    February 19, 2006 at 11:03am
    I just downloaded Pandora. WOW, Wow, Wow! I really enjoy it. Please make this a stand alone. I like the minimize feature on WinAmp. When I minimize Pandora the URL is disconnected. I am using Firefox 1.0.5.1 and have made the suggested changes in your FAQ.
  10. DrewBob
    February 21, 2006 at 11:39pm
    From a Designer: --(cuddos and thanks like the rest)-- - I'd change the color of the halo and selected items to a more subtle yellow tone instead of the ofensive orange - a timebar would only be cool if it was very minimalistic *I think a brushed silver diamond slowly streaming its way along the line flowing out of the Guide Us button would be quite pleasing - The "YOUR STATIONS" text I think is not needed and the removal of it would make the rounded buttons flow together smoothly and I personally would like to view one more of my stations ++++ THANKS FOR TAKING IT INTO CONSIDERATION ++++

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )