This is one that a lot of our listeners have been asking for… with this release we’ve added basic keyboard navigation to Pandora. You can now control music playback from your keyboard:
spacebar: Toggle Play / Pause
right-arrow: Skip to the Next Song
plus: I Like this Song
minus: I Don’t Like this Song
up-arrow: Raise Volume
down-arrow: Lower Volume
shift + up-arrow: Full Volume
shift + down-arrow: Mute
There is one important caveat: thanks to the wonderful world of web browsers, the keyboard navigation only works if our player has “focus.” This means that you need to click the player once before the keyboard shortcuts work. If you click outside the player on the page, you’ll have to click back in the player again to use the keyboard equivalents. We’ll work on refining this (and adding more keyboard shortcuts) over time.

Comments

1. Matt
    February 06, 2006 at 2:10pm
    Just wanted to say that my friend referred me to this site today and I'm seriously blown away! I was getting sick of surfing for hours and hours trying to 'research' music I like, but this makes the whole experience enjoyable. Not only do I get a sampling of music from a specific genre, but I can listen to my favourites too!!! One thing though, you really should make adding support for Canada a priority since they are the prime users of the internet in the world. Cheers and thanks for the innovation! Matt
  2. Sil
    February 11, 2006 at 4:18pm
    Some keyboards have keys just for Play, Pause, Stop, etc. Would be nice to use them w/ Pandora while playing a fullscreen game or something. Would be also cool if we can switch stations via keyboard shortcuts. Thanks. =D
  3. Ellen
    February 13, 2006 at 7:26am
    We are in an era of such crummy mainstream radio stations--my kids and I have long discussed how great it would be to have radio that played more obscure artists without having to move to Austin. That seems kind of drastic. Have you ever noticed while traveling that the stations on the same place on the dial play the same type of music, no matter where you are? In two days I have discovered several artists that I really like that I never would have known about otherwise. Thank you, Pandora!!
  4. Ellen
    February 13, 2006 at 9:21am
    I feel cooler already.
  5. physio
    February 16, 2006 at 10:17am
    Firstly, the shortcuts are a great addition to a great offering. However, for some reason I can't get the Shift + up arrow or Shift + down-arrow to work. All that happens is that the volume adjusts one notch. Is anyone else experiencing this?
  6. John M Karabatos
    February 18, 2006 at 8:28am
    Any Indian Classical music coming down the road? Could not find Ravi Shankar?
  7. Brian Salter
    February 25, 2006 at 3:30pm
    Pandora has become a virtual "must" for me while I work. Great stuff guys! Of course I've discovered a few "quirks", but let's resist the temptation to be negative about such an awesome service.
  8. marv
    March 25, 2006 at 6:12am
    very cool feature! pandora is really the great! it would be nice to jump to the next station with one key as well... maybe with page-up , page-down ?! marv
  9. MOR
    April 16, 2006 at 3:27pm
    I appreciate having the option to use these shortcuts, but it interferes with the possibility of using the space bar while the browser window is in focus - this is a big deal prevents me from switching desktops in Virtue and using Spotlight... Can you please add a way to turn off the keyboard shortcuts? Thanks!
  10. Nicklaus Deyring
    April 24, 2006 at 1:27pm
    Pandora is really the next generation of music, and keyboard shortcuts make it so much better for me! Thanks!!!!