Welcome to Volume 1 of “No Mainstream Fridays,” a weekly listing of songs that are
1. worth listening to
2. probably not being featured elsewhere at the moment
3. would be mainstream if there were such a thing
Without further ado:
“Got to Get the Nerve” by Field Music – for fans of early xtc. My favorite record of the year so far.

“The Fence Feels its Post” by Frog Eyes – sorry, I just can’t explain the complex brilliance of this band. It’s just chills from start to finish… passion from Victoria Island in British Columbia.
“Our Love Lives” by Impossible Shapes – absolute brilliance! every time one of these songs comes on, I freak out.
“Internal Crash” by Loquat – beautiful pop from sf!
“Melody 1” by Tera Melos – incredible instrumental avant indie stuff.
“Crushed Bones” by WHY? – yoni wolf is a hip-hop ray davies!
and speaking of ray davies:
“Dedicated Follower of Fashion” by The Kinks
And from the more recent past:
“Subterranean Homesick Alien” by Radiohead.
I recently listened to OK Computer again and was surprised to discover that I might well think it’s the best record ever made (and yes, that includes the untouchables: Sgt Peppers and Pet Sounds).
Happy Friday!! Have great weekends! And maybe go out this weekend and buy these records, so as to hear these amazing songs in their natural habitat. I’ll post more next Friday!
best,
mz

Comments

1. Amyliz
    April 28, 2006 at 8:22am
    I am obsessed with Pandora...I have told everyone I can about it because it's so incredibly awesome. However, the only complaint that I have about it is that you can either like or dislike the song...what if I think the song is O.K.? And what if these songs are only one bad song of a repretoire of good songs by that artist? Somehow there's got to be a way of hearing other good songs by those artists...anyway, everything else is totally badass. Thanks Pandora!
  2. Tricia
    May 08, 2006 at 9:23pm
    I heard about Pandora by watching a CBC (Canadian Broadcasting Corp.) documentary called "The End of Radio". Too bad they didn't warn me then that Canadians couldn't join your service. Now I've had an itsy bitsy taste of this great idea you've got going and it's not nearly enough! I don't even mind paying for a service I enjoy. I still buy CD's darling. I was raised in a small town with a radio station that would play country, pop and rock all in the same hour. That just doesn't happen anymore. I love discovering new songs and artists that rock my world. Too bad for me. Hope you get the right to cross the border soon. There are amazing bands in Canada hope you do lots of listening up here. Best of luck to you, Tricia (who happens to live in Victoria BC which IS on Vancouver Island which many of you already know I'm sure.
  3. marcelo pimenta
    May 10, 2006 at 3:40pm
    Pandora is simply a respect for ours ears! No doubt, one of the most discovered that i made in the internet!
  4. JONNY HAWK
    May 11, 2006 at 8:21pm
    I wish I could make you guys pancakes and serve them to you in bed. true, a weird way to say i love PANDORA. Thank you thank you thank you
  5. craig W. Brown
    May 12, 2006 at 12:55pm
    Dear Tim & Lucia, I love your site. What a great idea! I can't stop listening. Becasue of the way songs that are "'similar to" are chosen, the system picked stuff I haven't heard in years. I would be nice however, to be able to stick to a single band or artist if that's what you are in the mood for. Other ideas: What about searches by record label, especially independents. There are many small companies out there that produce an unusual mix of music that does not fix into a single category by style of music. Check out: Bang on a Can, a festival, organization and band that creates some of the most interesting music I've ever heard. It is headed by composer David Lang. Cantaolpe Records. They publish most of the Bang on a can stuff. Knitting Factory Record in NYC. Keep up the good work, Craig
  6. Mike
    May 15, 2006 at 12:50am
    I know I'm with a unfathomably large group of people here, and that you guys have heard this dozens of times. But i have to say it "THIS IS THE SHIT!". seriously, pandora is amazing. keep up the awesome work!
  7. Bruce Livett
    May 16, 2006 at 5:54am
    Why no Judy Kuhn. She is terrific.
  8. scott
    May 19, 2006 at 8:14pm
    Living in Beijing China-- not exactly Music mecca, but I stumbled on this band "Ziyo" last week and think something's there. Cross between Blondie and The Pretenders, Lead singer is hypnotic-- great command. http://www.myspace.com/ziyo Check the Music Download section-- not hard to see what the hit will be-- based on the 10x downloads. Have a listen to it "Too Many Times"-- starts a bit slow but has a nice build and several hooks.
  9. STEVE
    May 24, 2006 at 8:44am
    HEY PANDORA IS DOING A GREAT JOB. U NEED TO TWEAK YOUR ALGOROTHM A BIT, THOUGH. THE DNA OF CERTAIN TRACKS JUST DONT MATCH THAT OF PREVIOUS TRACKS ON THE STATION I WOULD GREATLY APPRECIATE IF U COULD PROVIDE DETAILS OF THE WORKING OF PANDORA'S GENOME ENGINE ALSO, WILL IT BE POSSIBLE TO CODIFY THE MYRIAD INTRICACIES AND COMPLEXITIES OF CLASSICAL MUSIC? STEVE
  10. meghan
    May 25, 2006 at 3:39pm
    i love, love, love ok computer. it really is quite amazing as a whole album. but i recently relistened to the bends and realized that one ain't so bad either.

Reply to Ned Skii Cancel Reply

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )